Glutton for Punishment - Any advice?

Old July 22nd 03, 06:26 PM
Linda Wright

Default Glutton for Punishment - Any advice?

I am undertaking a project using both rayon and metallics (yup, in one
needle). Any words of advice on how to handle the thread?

Linda in Columbia, MO
Old July 22nd 03, 07:07 PM
Caryn

I am undertaking a project using both rayon and metallics (yup, in one
needle). Any words of advice on how to handle the thread?

Usually difficult fiber is easier in shorter lengths.

And I've found Thread Heaven very very helpful with metallics. No affiliation,
yada yada yada....

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old July 22nd 03, 07:41 PM
Ellice

On 7/22/03 2:07 PM,"Caryn" posted:

I am undertaking a project using both rayon and metallics (yup, in one
needle). Any words of advice on how to handle the thread?

Usually difficult fiber is easier in shorter lengths.

And I've found Thread Heaven very very helpful with metallics. No
affiliation,
yada yada yada....

Definitely agree with Caryn's advice. Also, use the biggest needle you can
which doesn't distort your fabric - you want to be sure that the eye of the
needle isn't snagging.

WRT Rayon - short lengths, say 10"-12" at most. Some people kind of snap it.
Most who stitch with it dampen the thread. I keep a little sponge in a dish
nearby, and run the sponge down the rayon thread before threading up. Also,
depending on your pattern, if there's not a good place to secure the thread,
I'd consider using a loop start with the rayon.

And, like with silks, try to make sure your hands are not rough, dry. I
moisturize, then wait a few minutes before stitching. And do this regularly
on breaks.

What kind of metallics? I keep Lacquer Jewels in tissue paper - they're
pretty delicate, and so this way they're protected, and I can slide out a
single ply to thread up. They're very slinky, and gorgeous.

Good luck - your piece sounds like fun.
ellice

Old July 22nd 03, 09:17 PM
Meredith

It might be easier, although more time consuming, to do each separately
and stitch the whole section twice. I'd give it a test run first.

Meredith

Old July 22nd 03, 10:50 PM
Brenda Lewis

Thread Heaven for certain. Practice with both on a doodle cloth before
trying the project. You may have to make major adjustments to your
stitch tension compared to cotton floss. If you find the metallic falls
apart (or breaks or flakes) too easily, swap for a different brand or
weight and test again. I always think metallics are a PITA to use but I
love the finished look so much I just grit my teeth and stitch away.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Need advice on making money [email protected] General Crafting 0 February 2nd 05 01:53 PM
Lampworking - need torch advice. BethF Beads 15 January 23rd 05 07:13 AM
Art Fair Advice Rebecca Thomas Jewelry 4 January 29th 04 03:39 PM
Art Fair Advice Rebecca Thomas Beads 1 January 22nd 04 03:39 PM