Laying Tools vs. Railroading

Old July 2nd 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Laying Tools vs. Railroading

Great info. Now know why I was getting do many ##$* knots. I like a laying tool but it isn't always convenient. Ie. No floor stand.
Old July 3rd 17, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
D J

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:06:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Great info. Now know why I was getting do many ##$* knots. I like a laying tool but it isn't always convenient. Ie. No floor stand.

You don't need a floor stand to be able to railroad your stitches. I've managed to railroad while holding the fabric in my hands.

To get your thread straightened out, dangle the needle from your fabric to untwist it, then separate and straighten. Do this after each stitch for 5 or 6 stitches, then continue to dangle every other stitch. It's tedious, but the look of railroading is well worth it.

I hardly ever use my floor stand, but I do have Qsnaps and scroll bars. My scroll bars fit in a lap stand. If you like your work in your lap there are several different kinds of lap stands. If you really want a floor stand they are as cheap as $40 at Micheals.

Hope this helps,
Dawn
Old July 6th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 7/3/2017 1:24 PM, D J wrote:
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:06:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Great info. Now know why I was getting do many ##$* knots.
I like a laying tool but it isn't always convenient.

snip
You don't need a floor stand to be able to railroad your stitches.
I've managed to railroad while holding the fabric in my hands.

snip
Hope this helps,
Dawn

I agree with Dawn. I've often railroaded stitches and I almost
exclusively use a hoop.

Another thing that helps prevent knotting (if you don't already do this)
is to separate your plies after you cut them from the skein, then put
them back together. This eliminates the twist from when they wind the
skein.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Laying Tools Rich[_3_] Needlework 1 May 21st 13 10:53 PM
#*^&#&# Railroading Tia Mary Needlework 6 August 31st 07 03:52 PM
Railroading when loop starting Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 2 June 11th 05 08:10 PM
Laying tools photo's Caryn Needlework 4 January 12th 04 12:23 AM
Laying Tools Rhea Needlework 0 January 11th 04 01:14 AM