Blocking boards

Old May 10th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

Default Blocking boards

This newsgroup is seriously in need of some life support, so here goes.

I've recently gotten back into lace knitting, but I'm starting to reach the
limits of size on the piece of foam core board I've been using for dressing
the lace.

I remember hearing/reading in the past of homemade mounting boards in larger
sizes, but can't remember any of the details. I vaguely remember some people
using hollow core doors that they've covered with batting and muslin that could
also double as a cutting board for fabric-y projects, but that's much
larger and heavier than I'd want to use, plus issues with storage of a board
that size.

Anyone have a nifty solution they've tried or know of they'd like to share
with me and the group?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of at least 3 feet square (1m square),
or perhaps some sort of modular type set of boards that could be configured
and arranged to accommodate larger lace projects such as shawls or table
centers or runners.

Nyssa, who hates to see a good group dwindle down to nothingness
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net

Copyright 2012 At River's End - Any reposting of this article to third party
websites such as Sew Girls is prohibited and if you're reading this in one
of those, it has been copied and used without permission of the author.

Old May 14th 12, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ndjoan

On 5/10/2012 9:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:

Sorry I can't help with your board problem but.....

Nyssa, who hates to see a good group dwindle down to nothingness

I agree. Blame it on the spammers. I have been trying to go into
google groups to report the spam every week or so. Since GG have
changed to their new format, spam seems to get reported a bit more
regularly. I hope they can eventually find a way to stop them!

--
Joan

See my needlework he
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndjoan

Unknown
Old May 26th 12, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

I do not block in the usual manner! sometimes i wet a clean cloth and lightly iron over the wet cloth ...
mirjam
Old July 20th 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
marya48

responding to http://www.sewgirls.com/yarn/Blocking-boards-61297-.htm
marya48 wrote:

Nyssa wrote:

[...]

-------------------------------------

You might knitpick.com. They have interlocking boards at a reasonable
price.

Old July 20th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

wrote:

Nyssa wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointer, but I think I've solved my problem and much
more cheaply.

I needed a really BIG area for blocking knitted lace such as large
doilies, table centers, and table cloths. I ended up getting a huge
4x8 foot piece of exterior grade foam core insulation from Lowes.

The back is an aluminum foil type of material and the front is a
thin sheet of plastic. I had the store clerk cut the piece in half
down to the backing, so now I've got a folding 4x4 piece (that just
happened to fit in my truck that I can use as-is or unfold into
full size for a larger blocking area. If I need an even bigger area for
a MegaBAP like a full sized table cloth, I can simply buy another piece
to butt together for an 8x8 size.

Cost? Less than $10 per sheet.

Nyssa, who feels very clever about now

lacemaking boards Tanya Brooks Marketplace 0 June 14th 05 02:47 PM
Knitting Boards Lindy Yarn 28 January 9th 05 04:10 PM
Mounting boards revisit Joan Erickson Needlework 2 August 9th 04 08:32 PM
?design boards? Mary Quilting 37 February 4th 04 03:15 PM
Repost: design boards Mary Quilting 21 January 30th 04 05:21 AM