OT no brakes on Hurricanes

Old September 2nd 10, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Default OT no brakes on Hurricanes

Polly, that's a hint I've never heard before, but a good one. You're
right, flushing is good! I always have drinking water in jugs around (or at
least distilled water that I use for my CPAP machine), but never thought of
flushing water.

Donna in Idaho

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Hurricane weather folks are saying that too many are taking a cavalier
attitude about Earl. . . and mentioned that some areas of the east coast
haven't had a ferocious hurricane since 1991. Judy, I'm so glad that you
know the drill. Don't forget to put your kitchen trash can into the
bathtub and fill it with water. That will let you flush if you loose
power/water. Safe, warm and fed - those are good. So is flushing. Polly

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5416 (20100901) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old September 2nd 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

It seems to me that most of the hurricane preparation articles are written
by people who have never tried it themselves.
Many recommend filling your bathtub with water. That might work for a
few hours but if the rascal's drain leaks you are in big trouble. Polly

"Donna in Idaho"

Old September 2nd 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Polly, in Florida our power in the park is turned off fairly often, but we
have advanced notice so we fill a small trash can with water to be able to
flush 2 or 4 times until the water is turned back on.
About Cajun cooking and eating------dear son used to work at Lowe's and a
new worker from Miss came in. He heard son talking about camping and
cooking up his catch of fish. He asked son if he would like to join him
during lunch break to cook up a mess of "bugs". They both enjoyed the time
together!
Barbara in SC

Old September 2nd 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

Actually, BTDT! Okinawa - we filled the bathtub itself with water for
flushing, and left a small bucket near it to move the water!! -- We
also had water running into the house through the power outlets! Of
course, all the outer windows there had typhoon-shutters built in so
none got shattered! Had three days of "roast beef sandwiches by
candlelight" before we got power back. Since the water to Navy
housing was also derived (via a "cleaning plant") from a part of the
local sewer system, the leaching from ground water made the water
undrinkable for more than a week until repairs were made - so a huge
water truck made the rounds of the base, and we all took our 5 gal.
jugs out to be refilled. We were one of the few that had an outside
BBQ (brought inside during the storm) -- so we could boil water and
make coffee for us (and the neighbors!). No storm should EVER be
taken lightly!
ME-Judy

Old September 3rd 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT on Hurricanes from Pat VA

We have finally heard from our Pat in VA who is in Hurricane Earl's path.
She can't 'do' rctq just now but has battened down her hatches. We will
hold Pat and Judie and our other quilters in harm's way close in our
prayers. Polly

Old September 3rd 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Thanks Polly. When I saw the map of the path of the hurricane on our
weather news last night, I immediately thought of Pat. I didn't
remember where Judie lives.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old September 3rd 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Seems like Judie and Judy both could get some wind and rain but we'll hope
that's all. Wonder what Fiona's going to plan? Polly

"Pat S" Thanks Polly. When I saw the map of the path of the hurricane on
our
weather news last night, I immediately thought of Pat. I didn't remember
where Judie lives.
.
Polly Esther writes

Old September 4th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roy/Jane Kay

I have a son in the Ohio National Guard. When he came home from Kosovo we
found that there were MREs packed with his stuff. We put a couple in each
car with the other emergency supplies. Last year we figured they were
getting too old to use (especially being carried in a hot car in the
summer). We took the little sealed packets out that hold a pack of matches,
a hand wipe, powdered drink mix, tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce, gum, and
toilet paper. We also saved the sturdy plastic spoons and the chemical heat
packs. We just tossed a couple of sealed packs in each glove compartment-
they're waterproof,

Anyone could make her own packs.

waterproof container- heavy quart size zipper bag(double layer)-bags are
handy as part of kit too
purse pack of tissues
bar of hotel soap
matches
tea bag, coffee bag, instant coffee pack, and/or water bottle size drink
mix- what you would want
3 Band-Aids
sugar, salt, & pepper packs from fast food meals
hand wipe packet or 2
1 or 2 thin sanitary napkins- make good bandages for larger wounds, too
reflective mylar blanket- I found some at the dollar store
needle & thread

in winter you could add:
hot cocoa packet/ instant hot soup packet- they won't keep in the summer
instant heat hand warmer packet

That makes a bigger pack than the MRE ones, but still small enough to fit in
my glove compartment

"Taria" wrote in message
DD keeps a 'bug out bag' in her trunk along side walking shoes. We are
kind of on our own at the edge of no where so I guess she would bug out to
the other side of no where.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:59:20 -0800, "Steven Cook"
wrote:

We all need to be ready.

Right now it is the time for those in the Hurrican zone to have their
survival kits and plans of action.

Plains and Midwest, a good winter project for you would be to get ready
for
the next tornado season, if not right now since your season is not quite
over.

Forest fire areas, evacuation plans and what to quickly grab.

Those of us in earthquake areas, act now. Our gallon green tea jugs are
full of water to water the plants and in the event, they are our water
source, as well as a crank radio and flashlight amongst other things.

Winter areas, do you have a survival kit in your car? I will. A
rubbermaid
tote keeps it all contained in the trunk. Once the snow flies it comes
out
from under the workbench and into the car.

Anyone else, do what you need to.

Also, choose a meeting place should you become separated, and have an
alternate. Also have a phone number of someone well away from your
potential disaster area where you can all check in, and an alternate
phone.

As those of us once in Boy Scounts knew/know, our motto was Be Prepared.
even have basic supplies in my cabinet at school should there be an
earthquake as the bridges could go out and I couldn't get home. Basic
clothes, food, toiletries, and always in my backpack, in case I am stuck
anywhere with nothing to do, some hand sewing/quilting project. You
didn't
think I would forget that would you?!

Steven
Alaska