OT no brakes on Hurricanes

Old August 31st 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT no brakes on Hurricanes

I'm hoping all our friends on the Atlantic coast even inland as much as 200
miles are paying serious attention to Hurricane Earl.
Hurricanes do not roar up to the beach and slam on brakes. They weaken
just a little when they hit land but they spawn tornadoes and all manner of
misery.
Just because you don't live out on a pier, you need to be alert.
Hurricane Earl looks like a deadly threat. Polly

Old August 31st 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Okay. Talking to myself here which is okay. If you are within 200 miles of
the Atlantic, you need: gas in your car. (service stations can not pump
gas if they lose power)
cash. ATMs don't work without power either.
your pills. If streets are flooded, you can't run to the pharmacy.
And please. If you have a glass topped table on the patio, bring it
inside. Ask Michelle what kind of mess they can make.
Polly

"Polly Esther"

Old August 31st 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'm on the west coast but hope folks are taking precautions. We kind of
have to think of some of these things in regards to earthquakes but
generally we just tend to put planning off. When a hurricane is coming in
on you it is time to put the planning into motion.
Be safe all you Easterners.
Taria

Old August 31st 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

We all need to be ready.

Right now it is the time for those in the Hurrican zone to have their
survival kits and plans of action.

Plains and Midwest, a good winter project for you would be to get ready for
the next tornado season, if not right now since your season is not quite
over.

Forest fire areas, evacuation plans and what to quickly grab.

Those of us in earthquake areas, act now. Our gallon green tea jugs are
full of water to water the plants and in the event, they are our water
source, as well as a crank radio and flashlight amongst other things.

Winter areas, do you have a survival kit in your car? I will. A rubbermaid
tote keeps it all contained in the trunk. Once the snow flies it comes out
from under the workbench and into the car.

Anyone else, do what you need to.

Also, choose a meeting place should you become separated, and have an
alternate. Also have a phone number of someone well away from your
potential disaster area where you can all check in, and an alternate phone.

As those of us once in Boy Scounts knew/know, our motto was Be Prepared. I
even have basic supplies in my cabinet at school should there be an
earthquake as the bridges could go out and I couldn't get home. Basic
clothes, food, toiletries, and always in my backpack, in case I am stuck
anywhere with nothing to do, some hand sewing/quilting project. You didn't
think I would forget that would you?!

Steven
Alaska

Old August 31st 10, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

Watching Earl in Florida. More worried about DB in South Carolina who
is over 200 miles inland and got slammed by Hugo. Canned food in
place. Coleman stove on the ready. Have time to get gas since we are
too far south for Earl. Also time to turn over the glass top table.
DS flyin from Boston to New Orleans this week. Earl may mess up his
flight home-
We have had very high tides and rip currents for the last week.

Anna Belle in Palm Bay

Old September 1st 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

All of your warnings, Steve, are great practical stuff but in this day
of terrorism we need to add to the list. My husband works in Willis
Tower (formerly named Sears Tower). After 9-11 he and his co-workers
have added new plans. The company has regular fire drills where
everyone in the office must exit all the way to the street level (its
a long way down). Among his co-workers they have talked of plans if
the entire Loop is shutdown and trains aren't running to the suburbs.
He and all his co-workers are in good physical shape so they have
planned to walk to Evanston, the nearest suburb where several of them
live. It will be a long but doable walk. Even if I can not be in touch
via telephone I will know that my husband will be safe in Evanston
until we can figure out how to get him the next forty miles home.

Susan

Old September 1st 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

DD keeps a 'bug out bag' in her trunk along side walking shoes. We are kind
of on our own at the edge of no where so I guess she would bug out to the
other side of no where.
Good that folks are planning for what the can. I think the latest that is
advised here for an devastating earthquake is be prepared for NO help to get
to us for at least 3 weeks. Be ready to survive on your own at least that
long. Even govt. help that is set up will take at least that long.
Taria

Old September 1st 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

Up here in Maine, the local TV/radio stations (and newspapers) are
keeping a close eye on it.
Even though it may not be a direct hit where you need to evacuate,
still, the winds and heavy rains can be very destructive - loss of
power, clean drinking water....

As a (retired) military family, we learned from typhoons that hit
Japan, to keep supplies of canned food, large jugs for water, and all
the stuff the others have listed (radio, batteries, medicines). I can
also add: if you have kids, keep some games / books / coloring
books&crayons on hand --- in case you lose power - it'll keep them
occupied G Since the Navy days, we still keep supplies on hand.
Some years back, we had a terrible ice storm and most areas lost power
for a week or more. Thankfully, we had a shorter blackout and had many
family members that stayed with us because they were without power.
We also had a propane mini-stove - and a BBQ outside.

Better safe/warm/fed than sorry.
ME-Judy

Old September 2nd 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Very good point Susan. I forgot about something like this, but then again,
for those like your husband that work in such a building, it is a daily and
relevant reality. Our tallest building up here is 15 floors. Not negating
the point, probably just why I didn't think of it. We do have a couple of
stay put and lock down drills each year at school but that is more for an
intruder or incident alert.

In truth, I really should have considered something like what your husband
and his co-workers are doing as I knew someone that died in the twin towers
attack. Times have sure changed since my grade school days in the late 60's
when we used to have to deal with bomb threats at our grade school on the
college campus.

Wishing everyone a be safe weekend and and beyond at all times.

Steven
Alaska

Old September 2nd 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Hurricane weather folks are saying that too many are taking a cavalier
attitude about Earl. . . and mentioned that some areas of the east coast
haven't had a ferocious hurricane since 1991. Judy, I'm so glad that you
know the drill. Don't forget to put your kitchen trash can into the bathtub
and fill it with water. That will let you flush if you loose power/water.
Safe, warm and fed - those are good. So is flushing. Polly

"ME-Judy" ...