Working with VeryVelvet

Old December 11th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
chanab

Default Working with VeryVelvet

I'm working on a painted canvas needlepoint and I bought some Very Velvet
thread for the curtains on the picture. Can someone tell me a good stitch
to use as the thread seems very thin and the canvas shows through no
matter what basic stitch I use.

-------------------------------------
Ann B. Chechik

Just want to say...

****** ***** ***************
* ** * ** * **
* * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * *
****** * ****** * ******

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.needlework - 42650 messages and counting!
Old December 11th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

Have you considered filling in the curtains area with a normal thread
to get the coverage, and then using the VeryVelvet on top? You might
give that a try, and see about going every other stitch hole to get
the fuzzies you want without it being too thick or heavy.
Old December 11th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/11/08 12:12 PM, "Mary" wrote:

Have you considered filling in the curtains area with a normal thread
to get the coverage, and then using the VeryVelvet on top? You might
give that a try, and see about going every other stitch hole to get
the fuzzies you want without it being too thick or heavy.

That's an idea. My questions a
What mesh size is the canvas? And did you get the regular size Very Velvet,
or the Petite VV?

IME, the coverage is usually good with the Very Velvet - but you have to be
careful of pulling it too much, as it will kind of snap of (the tube just
separates). Also, be sure that the needle is opening the hole to get it
through.

Have you only tried tent/basketweave kind of stitches? You could use the VV
intermittently for texture and do more dense, focal kind of stitches with
it, so the curtains would look like a pattern. Even some simple Byzantine
or Cashmere stitch blocks. Or you could do some circular Rhodes stitche
http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfT...h/2008/apr.php

here and there, then fill in w/ a more standard.

Also, there is a combination XS, sometimes called a double-straight cross -
you could try this.
http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfT...2001/01-03.php

This ANG site has a lot of stitches. IME, things like a Rice or Smyrna
could get very bulky with VV. You could look at doing something like a
Milanese variation, or a Hungarian cross, and use the VV as one layer, then
use a different thread to ensure good coverage for the other layers - even a
silk w/ enough strands, or perle cotton, or something like burmilama.

Good luck. There are lots of references out there - you may have to do some
doodling. You might also check out the Rainbow Gallery website, John has
listed some stitches and techniques for using their various threads.

Happy stitchin'
ellice

Old December 12th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
chanab

chanab had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/needlework/R...vet-45992-.htm :

ellice wrote:

On 12/11/08 12:12 PM, "Mary"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you both very much for your quick replies. I have no idea what mesh
size the canvas is- it's about 20 years old and I inherited it from my
mom. It's a double thread canvas. She had started it; doing just a couple
of rows and then leaving it. She used the dmc 4 and really didn't buy
enough (I guess she never thought dmc would discontinue it). I didn't have
enough of any one color to do the curtains so I thought velvet would be
the way to go. I never worked with velvet before and the store I bought it
from told me that I could use the basketweave stitch I was using for most
of the canvas.

After reading your posts, I think I will take your advice and sew the
curtain with a regular thread, using the velvet as an accent on top. I
can't use dmc 4 but I think the dmc 5 with velvet on top would be cool.

Thank you.

-------------------------------------
Ann B. Chechik

Just want to say...

****** ***** ***************
* ** * ** * **
* * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * *
****** * ****** * ******

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.needlework - 42660 messages and counting!
Old December 12th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/11/08 7:46 PM, "chanab" wrote:

chanab had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/needlework/R...vet-45992-.htm :

ellice wrote:

On 12/11/08 12:12 PM, "Mary"
wrote:

[...]

It's probably a penelope canvas. The mesh size doesn't matter except in
figuring out what thread sizes work. If she was using DMC 4, then it's
probably a largish size, like a 13 mesh, and that could have the VV be a bit
skimpy - though I'm surprised. If you really cared for curiousisty - just
take a ruler and count boxes to the inch.

After reading your posts, I think I will take your advice and sew the
curtain with a regular thread, using the velvet as an accent on top. I
can't use dmc 4 but I think the dmc 5 with velvet on top would be cool.

I think you're right - using the DMC 5, then doing some work w/ the VV on
top will look really nice. It's so great that you're finisihing a piece
that your mom started!

Thank you.

Ann B. Chechik

Quite welcome, and enjoy working on this. I'm sure it'll come out just
lovely.

Ellice

Still not working... Carol In WI Needlework 0 May 3rd 07 10:12 AM
Working with Fun Fur deMoMo Yarn 2 December 3rd 05 07:13 PM
So, do tell, what's everyone working on??? [email protected] Beads 5 November 15th 05 12:08 PM
What's everybody WORKING on? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 90 March 14th 05 01:05 PM
what is everyone working on? Beadseeker Beads 63 January 10th 05 06:28 AM