new workshop!

Old November 15th 03, 06:48 PM
John Gallagher

Default new workshop!

I'm so pleased with myself. I just took my 1st ever workshop for Christmas
runners ,stockings, coasters and winebags etc. I made the worksheets and
designs and it was so rewarding as 2 of the Ladies had never done any
patchwork before!!Mind you I'm bushed. They all said they enjoyed it and
want to start up a little group in our village in the new year Sorry to
bother you all with this, but I feel very satisfied with my effort and to
think I couldn't sleep last night.lol! Estelle ( Great Britain!!) lol

Old November 15th 03, 06:55 PM
jules

Don't suppose you are in the south of Great Britain ? sounded like things
wet really well and I am happy for you )

--
Jules

Old November 15th 03, 08:42 PM
Patti

Good for you Estelle!
What a success. It is hard work, but you obviously hit the right note
with the ladies. So, onwards and upwards!!
..
In article , John Gallagher
writes
I'm so pleased with myself. I just took my 1st ever workshop for Christmas
runners ,stockings, coasters and winebags etc. I made the worksheets and
designs and it was so rewarding as 2 of the Ladies had never done any
patchwork before!!Mind you I'm bushed. They all said they enjoyed it and
want to start up a little group in our village in the new year Sorry to
bother you all with this, but I feel very satisfied with my effort and to
think I couldn't sleep last night.lol! Estelle ( Great Britain!!) lol

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 15th 03, 10:08 PM
Kate Dicey

John Gallagher wrote:

I'm so pleased with myself. I just took my 1st ever workshop for Christmas
runners ,stockings, coasters and winebags etc. I made the worksheets and
designs and it was so rewarding as 2 of the Ladies had never done any
patchwork before!!Mind you I'm bushed. They all said they enjoyed it and
want to start up a little group in our village in the new year Sorry to
bother you all with this, but I feel very satisfied with my effort and to
think I couldn't sleep last night.lol! Estelle ( Great Britain!!) lol

Well done! I LOVE teaching this sort of stuff! have you seen my
Christmas stockings, prepared for my classes in December? They're on
the web site.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 16th 03, 09:40 AM
annie

Well done Estelle,

I taught my first class in February so I know exactly what you mean
about being bushed afterwards.
I felt particularly satisfied when one of the ladies rang me a couple
of months afterwards to say that she had finished the quilt and wanted
to pick my brains about colours for another one which I had taken to
show them. This was a sample which used the same technique but placed
the pieces differently to give a totally different effect.

So what are you teaching next and where????? Could this be the
beginning of an RCTQ workshop meet up???

annie

Old November 16th 03, 03:09 PM
John Gallagher

Well ,what to teach is the problem!! I have had enquiries from more absolute
beginners who want to learn.Have decided to use our new school art room here
in the village fortnightly on a Monday but where do you start. Maybe with
samplers.Suppose they need to know how to use a rotary and ruler.Any
suggestions welcome! Estelle
om...

Old November 16th 03, 10:18 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"John Gallagher" wrote:

Well ,what to teach is the problem!! I have had enquiries from more absolute
beginners who want to learn.Have decided to use our new school art room here
in the village fortnightly on a Monday but where do you start. Maybe with
samplers.Suppose they need to know how to use a rotary and ruler.Any
suggestions welcome! Estelle

I have a super beginner class that I call intro to quiting. All these
quilting terms are like a foreign language to non-quilters (what is a
fat quarter anyway? ) So... First we learn the language of quilting
then they practice and see lots of samples:

what's a seam allowance, why is it 1/4 inch - give them 1" strips (mebbe
6 " long) to practice sewing, pressing and measuring. Teach them how to
take out things that don't measure up. Show them what happens to points
when the seam is too big or too small.

what's a rotary cutter, why to I need one, how do I use it? - let them
see how to square up fabric, how to cut strips, then squares and
rectangles then triangles and diamonds, parallelograms and trapezoids.
Have them bring some old scrap fabric and practice cutting every shape
imaginable. It can be horrible fabric because they don't ever have to
sew anything ;-)

fabric what's the big deal? let them feel different kinds of fabric.
teach them what to look for when shopping. teach them about pre-washing
and testing for color fastness. Talk about color v. value v. hue etc.
Play around with a color wheel. Talk about texture from different
prints. You can keep really busy playing with this one!

Threads, pins, why you should change your sewing machine needle more
than once every 4 years and other useful notions :-) Bring what you
have and like and tell them why. Fun show and tell. Let them sew two
strips of fabric pinned with dull, fat pins that distort. Then let them
try it with new, slick, sharp thin pins. Explain about needle sizes and
weights of threads and why it matters.

Kinds of quilting. Many beginners don't know there is patchwork and
applique and what it is and then it's quilting that holds it all
together. Show them examples of different types of piecing, talk about
what strip piecing is, what paper foundation piecing, english paper
piecing, applique, reverse applique.

Quilting itself - what is the difference between hand and machine work.
How about tyeing, or tacking?

From there, you can go into small projects where they can try out
different things. Do a strip piecing class where they learn to make
simple things like nine patches or rail fence. Print off a couple
simple paper foundation blocks and show them how to do that. Do a
little hand pieced block. Just expose them to something new each week
to give them a taste of all that's out there. Bring samples you have
and pictures from magazines or the web. As you go along, you will see
what interests them and you can then move into projects from there.

Have Fun!
marcella
Old November 17th 03, 07:36 PM
John Gallagher

Whow Marcella. This is a great help!! When you see it all written down like
that it all fits. Should be enough to keep them/me occupied for a month or
two.Thanks again.Will let you know how we progress!! Estelle
"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
In article ,
"John Gallagher" wrote:

[...]

From there, you can go into small projects where they can try out

Old November 16th 03, 02:03 PM
Roberta Zollner

Well done, Estelle! The world needs more quilters -you did a good thing :-)
Roberta in D, wishing I'd been there