Sewing machine suugestions for outdoor gear

Old May 3rd 05, 08:21 PM

Default Sewing machine suugestions for outdoor gear

Hi All!!

I'm an outdoor enthusiast interested in sewing some of my own gear.
Most gear mfgs are over engineering their goods in order to add more
features to charge more $$$s, so I think I can sew my own with quality
materials at a fraction of the cost.

I plan on sewing a sleeping bag/quilt contraption, backpacks and rain
gear. Some of the material I'm sewing will be quite long, like perhaps
98" x 40".

The materials will be light-weight silicon-impregnated nylon (for the
most part)and double stitching will be required. I'm not sure I worded
that in the right lingo... an example is that I will leave a 3/4" seam
allowance along an edge, then fold that seam allowance material over
and sew again to try and water-proof the seam. I'll also seal the
seams of course in the end. Anyway, I'm getting off topic here

So my materials will not be too heavy, and I will not need to do any
hardcore tacking. I will need a machine and set-up that is nice for
longer materials and materials that are "puffy" from insulation that is
inserted and sewn into the sleeping bag.

Thanks in advance!
Adrian

Old May 4th 05, 01:18 PM
Queen of Squishies

I haven't ever sewn my own outdoor gear, but I have a friend who has done
some of it. Let me check with her. Stay tuned....

Karen, Queen of Squishies
Sail on Silver Girl......
sail on by - -
Your time has come.....
to shine - -
All your dreams are on their way.
..........See how they shine!.........
www.SimplyMusic.net

Old May 5th 05, 04:49 PM
wiclimber

Thanks Kate!! Will do for sure. I'll still watch here as well in case
Queen gets back with some info.

Rgds,
WI

You need Penny! pop over to alt.sewing and shout! She does a great
line in sewing outdoors stuff.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old May 5th 05, 08:50 PM
Queen of Squishies

I heard back from my friend, she said she has only made one light weight
sleeping bag and that was it. So she hasn't any advice or suggestions,
sorry.

Old May 6th 05, 12:24 AM
Kate Dicey

wiclimber wrote:

Thanks Kate!! Will do for sure. I'll still watch here as well in case
Queen gets back with some info.

She will! Our queens are real royalty like that!

Penny has helped me and others with many outdoors projects. I have made
about 50 fleece jackets (there's one on my web site somewhere), but
Penny is a real pro for this stuff. Let me also recommend:
Sewing Outdoor Gear: easy Techniques for Outerwear That Works by
Rochelle Harper. ISBN 1-56158-283-2 (Taunton Press 2001), $24.95 US,
$39.95 Canada, (£15.62 from Amazon)

Great book - I love mine, and Penny has a project in it! Mostly
clothes, but it does tell you about the fabrics and how best to sew them.

Old May 6th 05, 02:35 PM
Pat in Virginia

My main interest is quilt making. I piece,
applique, and quilt on a SM. So I did not choose
the SM for outdoor gear. None the less, two years
ago I successfully sewed a cover for a Kayak! The
canvas awning/beach chair fabric was 18' long by
about 2.5' wide. I had to sew two very long seams
(eighteen feet each!!) to make the tube. I closed
one end, and 'hemmed' the other. I also attached
webbing straps. All that on my trusty Pfaff. If
you do not want a SM with bells and whistles, look
for an older Pfaff of simple design. Stores
sometimes have those for trade in. When I traded
my first Pfaff, the store priced it with a sign
that said "Great for sewing Sails!" HTH. NAYY, I
just enjoy my SM. PAT