9 patch help

Old October 29th 04, 09:53 PM
Mike G

Default 9 patch help

Okay... so I'm having a brain fart or senior moment or something and I need
your help. I want my 9-patch to finish at 4 inches. What size do I need to
cut my strips? I just can't get it right and I am desperate! Help Me!
Thanks.

Lynda
still quilting 'till i'm wilting
and i think i may have wilted.

Old October 29th 04, 10:06 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article .net,
"Mike G" wrote:

Okay... so I'm having a brain fart or senior moment or something and I need
your help. I want my 9-patch to finish at 4 inches. What size do I need to
cut my strips? I just can't get it right and I am desperate! Help Me!
Thanks.

Lynda
still quilting 'till i'm wilting
and i think i may have wilted.

4 divided by 3 is 1 1/3 inches. Then add 1/2 inch for seam allowance.
So, you need to cut your strips 1 5/6 inches....odd measurement though.

How critical is exactness? Can you cut the strips 1 3/4 and sew your
seams a little scant or cut them 1 7/8 and be a hair oversized and trim
up the block to exactly 4 1/2 at the end so it finishes at 4"?

marcella
Old October 29th 04, 10:09 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Mike G" wrote:

Okay... so I'm having a brain fart or senior moment or something and I
need
your help. I want my 9-patch to finish at 4 inches. What size do I need
cut my strips? I just can't get it right and I am desperate! Help Me!
Thanks.

Lynda
still quilting 'till i'm wilting
and i think i may have wilted.

4 divided by 3 is 1 1/3 inches. Then add 1/2 inch for seam allowance.
So, you need to cut your strips 1 5/6 inches....odd measurement though.

How critical is exactness? Can you cut the strips 1 3/4 and sew your
seams a little scant or cut them 1 7/8 and be a hair oversized and trim
up the block to exactly 4 1/2 at the end so it finishes at 4"?

Alternately, if the 4" is critical, and precision is critical, sounds like a
job for paper piecing.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 29th 04, 10:10 PM
Patti

Hullo Lynda
Do you mean you want finished 4" squares in your nine-patch; or the
whole nine-patch to finish at 4"? I ask, because 4" is a very strange
number for a nine-patch.
If you *do* mean the whole thing finished at 4", you need to cut your
strips One and a third inches *plus* half an inch for seam allowances.
Not the easiest thing in the world to do!
Whenever you have this kind of problem, always work on the finished
figure first, and add the half inch for seam allowances to the answer.
If you start trying to include the seam allowances as you go along, that
is why errors creep in. So, for this one, you divide the 4" by three =
one and a third; then you add the half inch. Should be one and
five-sixths I reckon.
Could you not choose a more congenial finished size? Even 4.5" finished
would make it infinitely easier. Then you would just have 2" strips.
..
In article .net, Mike
G writes
Okay... so I'm having a brain fart or senior moment or something and I need
your help. I want my 9-patch to finish at 4 inches. What size do I need to
cut my strips? I just can't get it right and I am desperate! Help Me!
Thanks.

Lynda
still quilting 'till i'm wilting
and i think i may have wilted.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old October 29th 04, 10:26 PM
Joanna

I've been working with some thangles and if you want a 4" then you cut
4.5". I seen someone else reply with something else?? I don't see how
but I guess I'm going to have to do some reading.
Joanna

Mike G wrote:

Okay... so I'm having a brain fart or senior moment or something and I need
your help. I want my 9-patch to finish at 4 inches. What size do I need to
cut my strips? I just can't get it right and I am desperate! Help Me!
Thanks.

Lynda
still quilting 'till i'm wilting
and i think i may have wilted.

--
Remove Quilt to reply

9 patch variation maryd Quilting 16 September 17th 04 05:32 PM
QSD: Simple Nine Patch Pat in Virginia Quilting 59 June 8th 04 05:54 PM
Crazy patch Quilt SC Quilting 3 April 4th 04 12:06 AM
A real 4 patch Happy Dance Lindroos Quilting 2 February 4th 04 05:42 PM
Nine patch quilt blocks Beth Pierce Quilting 1 November 1st 03 03:41 PM