OT - Time for a gentle push?

Old August 31st 03, 02:40 AM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Time for a gentle push?

My future landlady, Mary (elder sister of one of my supervisors at
work) tripped over a pebble while walking on the beach near Inverness
on Thursday and ended up breaking her ankle in 3 places. Because of
the location, the ambulance couldn't get anywhere near here, and they
couldn't winch her up to it... she had to be helicoptered to hospital.
Did I mention that she was one of those who hated all the rides at the
fair and is not keen on heights?
Yeah, so in addition to being incapacitated for who knows how long
(she's meant to keep it elevated for the next 4 to 5 weeks and there
are metal plates and pins in it) and not able to pursue her business
(she works from home) she's the sort that likes to keep busy. I have
a feeling she won't be enjoying day time telly.
Is this the time to give the gentlest of pushes? Should I lend a
colorful, cozy book about quilts and present them with some lovely
fabrics, a bit of thread and some shears? Maybe she'd like to do
something during the next month and some odd days.... ?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 31st 03, 02:48 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

It never hurts to have pretty pictures to look at. ;D

Hope she heals well and quickly! Ouch! Must have been some pebble.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old August 31st 03, 04:27 AM
CANDCMOM2

That would be a marvelous idea if of course she can work with the ankle up in
the air. Ask me how I know? I broke every bone in my ankle (there are only 3
I believe) when I slid down just 3 stairs in my home. I never knew the ankle
was so fragile. She will definitely be lying down for a minimum of 6 weeks
excess for hops to the bathroom. Friends of mine sent me books, DVDs,
magazines and a gameboy which amused me for hours but it does get boring.
Unfortunately I was off work for 3 months but couldn't even get near my machine
until perhaps the last 2 weeks of that time because it was just too
uncomfortable to not have my ankle raised up. I hope she mends well and gets
the quilting bug.

Peg in NE PA

Old August 31st 03, 08:54 AM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Johanna Gibson
writes
Is this the time to give the gentlest of pushes? Should I lend a
colorful, cozy book about quilts and present them with some lovely
fabrics, a bit of thread and some shears? Maybe she'd like to do
something during the next month and some odd days.... ?

Ouch! Who'd have thought that strolling along the beach could be so
dangerous? Yes, I think it sounds like a very thoughtful thing to do
whilst she's laid up. Especially if you know her well enough to know
that she'd rather be busy than just sit back and watch TV all day long.
Has she seen your work? Because if not I'd suggest showing her a quilt -
or making her one, or loaning her one - because when I started quilting
I wasn't entirely sure what a quilt was! Sounds crazy, but I was
familiar with patchwork and I was familiar with duvets, but I hadn't
ever really got familiar with a quilt.
--
Mel Rimmer

Old August 31st 03, 01:30 PM
Kate Dicey

Johanna Gibson wrote:

[...]

Excellent idea! maybe a whole kit for something small, or a whole cloth
cushion cover kit? Something manageable, anyway...

Poor thing! She'll be miserably frustrated if she's a home working type
stuck at home without being able to work! Here's hoping she mends
quickly and without complications.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 31st 03, 02:10 PM
frood

I thought you were going to suggest a gentle push off a big cliff for the
old dear! Ok, I guess that's just my warped mind at work....

Give it a try. Your idea, I mean, not mine! The worst that will happen is
she'll look through the book at the quilts and ask you to make her one! G

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old August 31st 03, 04:25 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

[...]

If she doesn't seem to want to piece a quilt, perhaps she'd enjoy doing
a bit of applique or redwork to make into a quilt?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster

AD - The time has come, the time is now... Kalera Stratton Beads 26 January 31st 05 01:34 AM
if you have time Charlie Beads 10 January 20th 05 10:32 PM
OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
OT ~ It's a real eruption this time! Mj Beads 9 October 6th 04 04:15 AM
Old Time Quilting advice Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 23 September 2nd 03 01:32 PM