Pain from rotary cutters?

Old July 16th 03, 01:10 AM
Jennifer Hepworth

Default Pain from rotary cutters?

Pain from rotary cutters?

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2003, 11:33pm
(EDT+4) From: (IMS)
I started getting terrible joint pain in the top knuckle of my index
finder on right hand...this is exactly the finder that I use to hold
down my rotary cutter. I'm wondering if the pain is connected to the way
I use the cutter.
Does anyone know of a site that shows how to position these things
properly? Or can someone explain it? I have one of the FISKARS cutters.
Are there any brands considered more ergonomic than others? -------
If you go to Fiskars.com and follow the headings to sewing/quilting,
there is a detailed description and photo of the rotary cutter in use,
as well as tips, etc.

Your index finger should not be uppermost while using this particular
cutter - all your fingers should be through the opening of the handle.
Once the blade is locked in the cutting position, it should not be
necessary to have a digit (Finger or thumb) extended to hold the blade
down in the cutting position.
Jennifer in Ottawa

http://interactive.rogers.com/jennell/Quiltedprojects
http://interactive.rogers.com/jennell/photoalbum

Old July 16th 03, 02:18 AM
Julia Altshuler

Rest your hand for 3 days. Then change the blade! Pain is Nature's way of
telling me that my blade is getting dull.

--Lia
Old July 16th 03, 02:22 AM
Polly Esther

I drive my Fiskars with my thumb on top. I don't know why but just guess it
is comfortable to me that way. There are several rotary cutters here but the
Fiskars is always the one I come back to. Perhaps you should try other holds
and other rotarys until you find one that makes your hand happy. Polly

Old July 16th 03, 03:08 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Your finger does not belong on top of the cutter.
See this demo:
http://crafts.fiskars.com/projects/rotary_hold.html
http://crafts.fiskars.com/projects/cutting_safety.html
http://crafts.fiskars.com/craft_tips.html

not-Fiskars:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...quilting/18383

Let the blade do the work, not your hand or finger; don't push
down so hard on the cutter.

Better luck, IMS.
Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 16th 03, 05:26 AM
Nana2B

Oh my! I have the same problem only on my left index finger. It hurts when
I press on that knuckle. I have the yellow Olfa cutter. I will do the
rest thing and change the blade. Glad to know I did not imagine it.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
Texas

Old July 16th 03, 03:06 PM
MelissaInNJ

I have a truly ergonomic rotary cutter.

http://www.hearttoheartquiltshop.com/Martelli.htm (NAYY)

I got it at a quilt show, but LQS's are starting to carry it too. I
love it and will never go back to a "regular" one. They have left
handed and right handed. The way it works is that the pressure of your
whole hand presses on it, not just a couple of fingers and joints. It
really is a joy to use.

NAYY

Melissa in NJ

Old July 16th 03, 03:13 PM
Nana2B

I just got one of those. Must really try to get used to it. Every new ache
and pain is a royal pain!

Old July 17th 03, 01:50 AM
Miriam \Mim\ Spencer

Change your blade OFTEN -- it can really save the muscles and joint pain.
It is truly amazing the amount of pressure that we unconciously use when the
blade isn't sharp -- I learned the hard way -- now I get my blades in
bulk -- no more pain

Mim

Old July 17th 03, 03:27 AM
Megan Vest

Do you have trouble with the screw falling out of that rotary cutter? I
have had two of them and the screw constantly falls out. I bought the first
one and it always fell out so I bought the second one and it does it to.
Also, do they make those rotary cutters with the 60 mm blade yet. I prefer
that size blade over the standard 45 mm blade.

Megan

om...

Old July 17th 03, 03:30 AM
Megan Vest

I don't know that the way you hold it is necessarily causing the pain. I
think the type of cutter you use has a lot to do with it. I do A LOT of
cutting every month (900 block of the month kits, on top of the quilts I
make in my spare time) and I am one of those that holds my finger on top.
I can definitely tell the difference in the way my wrist feels according to
what rotary cutter I use to cut.
Megan