OT diabetes on a plate

Old May 22nd 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT diabetes on a plate

DH asked me a simple question. "What do they call english muffins in
England?"
"Crumpets? American muffins? Back muffins? Hockey pucks?" I guessed.
He flashed me the eyeball that has "Good grief woman!" inscribed on the
retina. Then went back to his violin forum where they are apparently
discussing Duck, Duck, Goose, and english muffins.
I went to google and started looking to see if I could find out the
Answer.

Along the way I found this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ry-creme-eggs-
benedict-dessert-breakfast-recipe.html

Or made tiny:

http://tinyurl.com/y8q5ttb

One could wish the recipe might be made tiny!
I am used to recipes that do not give a serving size feeding 1 or 2.
This one probably serves 68.
I think my blood sugar rose just reading it.

By the by, so far as I can tell they don't actually have anything
equivalent to english muffins in England. A fellow in Scotland from the
violin forum told DH that the closest equivalent in the whole of the UK
are shuffleboard biscuits. Thus my hockey puck guess was not too far
afield.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old May 22nd 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

They are just called muffins. However, so are the much bigger cake-like
things (like blueberry muffins). So only by context would you now know
which someone is talking about... You can buy them in packets at any
supermarket, right next to the crumpets.

Hanne in DK
- but previously Wales, Scotland, England and US (not at the same time!)

Old May 23rd 12, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

OK, being from the UK, muffins are a type of bread that is split and
toasted and served with butter and jam. American style muffins exist,
which are the same as USA, but the smaller English version are called
buns or fairy cakes, can be iced and decorated. Crumpets are similar to
English muffins, except that are fried to cook (not baked) and are
toasted afterwards and served with butter and jam. Crumpets are like a
large, thick blini. As far as I know hockey pucks and back muffins don't
really exist in UK.

Hope this helps

Janner
France

Old May 23rd 12, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

IMO crumpets is the correct answer. As for that recipe, diabetes on a
plate about sums it up. Yech!
Roberta in D

Old May 23rd 12, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

American style English muffins are pretty much like the first kind of
muffins you describe :-)

Hanne in DK

Old May 23rd 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

English muffins are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_%28English%29

and crumpets are different and are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

There is a definite difference in texture and flavour. Muffins are like
bread, crumpets are holy and spongy which allows for the butter to soak
in.......

Personally, I prefer crumpets to muffins, but that could be because
crumpets are harder to find here in the shops. Muffins keep longer, but
because of their moist content, the crumpets only keep a few days.
Crumpets are lovely toasted over an open fire in winter......

Janner
France

Old May 23rd 12, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 22/05/2012 21:24, NightMist wrote:

[...]

A muffin in England is a plain yeast bread product rather than a cake.
It's an 'oven bottom' baked thing. Like this:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/englishmuffin.jpg

They are usually split and toasted, and spead with butter and marmalade.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old May 23rd 12, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Just found this

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...h-muffins.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...-crumpets.html

Janner
France

Old May 23rd 12, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 23/05/2012 12:50, Roberta wrote:
IMO crumpets is the correct answer. As for that recipe, diabetes on a
plate about sums it up. Yech!
Roberta in D

Nah... Crumpets in England look like
this:http://www.barcellosrestaurant.com/w...edCrumpets.jpg

They are made with a runny yeast levened dough, and cooked in rings to
stop them spreading. Best toasted and eaten with butter and golden
syrup melted into the holes!

Old May 24th 12, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Oh Yes, crumpets are just delicious - with butter and honey dripping all
over the place.

I LOVE THEM.

Di
Having just had crumpets for breakfast.

On my plate... Toni Schneidt Quilting 1 April 11th 06 05:19 PM
Dresden Plate Boca Jan Quilting 12 March 31st 06 10:00 PM
OT - gestational diabetes and long-term monitoring Wooly Yarn 1 June 23rd 05 04:43 PM
plate starter Jewelry 0 September 30th 04 08:22 AM
Dresden plate help Debbi Quilting 43 January 14th 04 05:25 PM