Judging quilts and bindings . . . .

Old August 31st 03, 02:47 AM
D&D

I am a newbie and haven't finished a quilt yet (I have 2 WIP) however I have
done 3 wallhangings, the first have very round corners so the next two I
did the bindings on each side separately. I machined the binding to the
front but have hand sewn the binding to the back. I am happy with my results
but what would judges think?
In time I know I will improve but really can't see me ever entering a
competition as I am only doing it for 'me'.

Dee in Oz

"Kathy Riley" wrote in message

The width of the binding on the front should be consistent with the width

of
the binding on the back. In other words, if the binding on the front

measures
1/4" wide, the portion on the back should be close to that same width.

A difference of 1/8" as you describe would not be "glaring." But a 1/4"
binding on front, and 1" on back is a bit much. This usually happens when

the
binding strip is cut too wide, applied to the front with a 1/4" seam

allowance,
and all that extra width is folded over to the back.

I like to use a double fold French binding on my quilts. Decide how wide

you
want your binding to be, and cut your strips 6 times that width. I

"fudge" in
a teeny bit more to allow for the thickness of the quilt when I fold to

the
back. So...for a 1/4" binding, I will cut the strip 1 1/2" inches wide

(plus
maybe a 1/16 - 1/8" "fudge"). Fold this in half lengthwise, and press.

Your
strip is now a little more than 3/4" wide. Sew to the quilt using a 1/4"

seam
allowance. Fold the strip to the back, and you should have a nice 1/4"

width
on the back as well.

Remember that, no matter how wide you want the binding, make sure there is
enough batting around the edges to fill the binding completely.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

"Work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt....and

dance
like no one's watching !"

Old August 31st 03, 01:34 PM
Kathy Riley

I machined the binding to the
front but have hand sewn the binding to the back. I am happy with my results
but what would judges think?

I couldn't really give an opinion without actually seeing the quilt. But, my
philosophy has always been that I don't care if you sewed the binding on with
your feet, and your eyes closed the whole time. If the finished product is
crisp, neat and professional, it's a good binding!

Old August 31st 03, 02:07 PM
frood

Oh, I enter our State Fair almost every year, and I quilt "just for me",
too! I guess I'm just a show-off, but I love having people look at my
quilts! And, I have won 2 ribbons - Honorable Mention and 4th Place, so I
know I'm getting better. You could always start with your local guild show,
if you have one. Our State Fair is open to anyone to enter (I don't even
think you have to live in this state!), so it is not a juried competition
where you have to have a certain level of skill before you can enter.

As I tell my children, it's not whether or not you win a ribbon, it's just
getting people to look at your quilt (or whatever), and letting them see
what fun it is to do this!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old August 31st 03, 02:26 PM
Patti

Absolutely, Wendy.
After all, if only winners entered shows, there would be very few to
see! 'Open Shows' should be just that - everyone entitled to take part.
And you never know who you might be hung next to!!! (if you see what I
mean g)
..
In article , frood
writes
Oh, I enter our State Fair almost every year, and I quilt "just for me",
too! I guess I'm just a show-off, but I love having people look at my
quilts! And, I have won 2 ribbons - Honorable Mention and 4th Place, so I
know I'm getting better. You could always start with your local guild show,
if you have one. Our State Fair is open to anyone to enter (I don't even
think you have to live in this state!), so it is not a juried competition
where you have to have a certain level of skill before you can enter.

As I tell my children, it's not whether or not you win a ribbon, it's just
getting people to look at your quilt (or whatever), and letting them see
what fun it is to do this!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill