Fusible batting

Old August 31st 03, 03:06 AM
aluap

Default Fusible batting

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience using fusible batting? I have finished a Sunbonnet Sue quilt top (lap/crib size) for my grandniece and am thinking of using the fusible. I'm new to quilting, and I've only made a few other quilts using regular batting and wonder if the fusible works well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Paula

Old August 31st 03, 03:28 AM
frood

The fusing lasts long enough to quilt it. I thought that the fusing was
permanent, and I wouldn't have to do any stitching to hold it together.
Nope! Ok, I was young (younger, anyway) and inexperienced and didn't have
access to this group. :-)

I think it would work well for quilts that you are going to machine quilt
right away. From my experience, it does not stay fused long, days, not
months, but you can re-fuse it again. It strikes me as too stiff to hand
quilt, but I could be wrong there.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old August 31st 03, 03:38 AM
frood

By "bumpy" do you mean it appears stretched out in places, making hills? Or
is the fiber bunched in knots making lumps? Bumpy-stretched out will go away
with steam. Lumpy knots probably not, but may not be noticible in the final
product.

Did I miss previous posts from you? Welcome, Paula! I hope you like it here
as much as I do!

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"aluap" wrote in message
Thanks Wendy,

I am going to machine quilt it, probably right after the fusing. The
fusible I bought is a bit "bumpy." Will that go away with the steam
ironing?

Paula

Old August 31st 03, 08:04 AM
Patti

Hullo Paula
I don't remember meeting you before? (Mind you, my memory is a
senior!!). So, first of all, welcome.

I have used fusible for a little while now. It does need a good
smoothing when you first put it onto the backing, but then it should be
all right. It is easy to re-position. Do be sure to check both sides
for puckers when ironing it on. As it always appears terribly thin to
me, I do the ironing on by just holding the steaming iron over the
surface. I don't actually put the weight of the iron down on it.

Once I have sandwiched the layers, I do go all around the outside edges
with my basting gun (or you could use safety pins). This is so that
when the quilt is being manhandled during the machine quilting, the
layers at the edges (the most vulnerable) will not come apart and
perhaps allow movement further in.

Good luck. It's a wonderful invention!!
..
In article gHc4b.33310$Zw4.13991@lakeread03, aluap
writes
Hi,
*
Has anyone had any experience using fusible batting?* I have finished a
Sunbonnet Sue quilt top (lap/crib size) for my grandniece and am
thinking of using the fusible.* I'm new to quilting, and I've only made a few
other quilts using regular batting and wonder if the fusible works well.
*
Thanks for any suggestions!
*
Paula

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 31st 03, 03:46 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hi Paula and Welcome to RCTQ!
Great to see another Virginian here. Are you in a guild? In VCQ?
I am in local guild but not VCQ. Kris and Kim E are both in NoVA.
Several are in Richmond area. Several live near the Bay or Ocean.
I'm on the Peninsula ... just so you know where to send your
chocolate to be vetted. I have not used the fusible batting yet,
so I am reading the answers right along with you.

PAT in VA/USA
Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ NG

aluap wrote:
It's "bumpy, stretched out, making hills" in a few places, so I'm glad to
know it will steam out.

Thanks for the welcome. I've just recently found this newsgroup, and I love
it! Such a lot of great, helpful information. I did take a quilting class
and have several books, but it's nice to have somewhere to go for more help
and to just read about what others are doing with their quilts!

Paula in Northern Virginia

Old August 31st 03, 05:38 PM
Neeej

I used it once in a vest (converting some old scrub-tops G)---it was stiff,
and remained so even after washing. gonna give that one away :-(
-- Jean S