Kevlar Bindings?

Old July 11th 03, 06:51 AM
NightMist

Default Kevlar Bindings?

Nope.

In fact, I don't even go to comedy clubs.

Now if you have a club in your town that caters to goth quilters, let
me know and I'll see if I can make it sometime

NightMist

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:48:55 -0500, rjwhite6
wrote:

Do you ever do a gig at the BroadRipple Comedy Club?

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:36:45 GMT, (NightMist)
wrote:

Hey there are reasons I darned socks for years!
There are also reasons I quit darning socks (snip bad toxic sock
syndrome crack).

At least he is cutting his toenails now.
I just have to figure out a way to blunt the edges.
Apparently useing an emory board on your toenails gets you tossed out
of the Manly Mucho Macho Man Union or something.

NightMist

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:59:03 -0500, rjwhite6
wrote:

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!
Honest.
I have tears in my eyes from laughing.

Oh, uh, should I say "I'm sorry to hear of your quilt misfortune"

That's it I'm laughing again. Talon's of Doom.
Toxic and clearly dangerous appendages.

Laughter is such good medicine. Thank you.

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:52:29 GMT,
(NightMist)
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:28:52 -0500, rjwhite6
wrote:

This is more tongue-in-cheek than a real question.

Since the binding tends to wear first on a quilt, how about
Kevlar or the more readily available Nomex?
Has anyone here tried it or know of anyone who has tried it?

They do sew it so that's not a problem.

Color selection could be a problem.

Cutting could be a problem.

Cutting wouldn't be a problem, kevlar stops penetration by blunt
objects, it won't stop things like spears, arrows, knives or scissors.

I have mentioned my problem with my DH and his Talons of Doom here in
the past. The man rakes my quilt backs with his toenails and leaves
parrallel cuts with thin strips hanging off. He is sheer murder on my
bindings, to the point where I now make them as narrow as possible and
have gone to often useing the type of binding that is just a wrap from
the backing (which is a royal pain to get a mitered look on).
I took myself down to the hobby shop one day and got me some kevlar
thread (it is used frequently for something on the flying kind of
model airplane). The stuff cuts easily, frays like crazy if you try
and machine sew with it, and I can definitely say that the fabric will
tear before the thread breaks.

I think I am going back to regular bindings, getting a new one of
those little foot jacuzzi thingies, a full line of pedicure stuff, and
some serious bribes for DGF (Hey, _I_ am not getting near those highly
toxic and clearly dangerous appendages if I can con somebody else into
it!)

NightMist

--

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old July 11th 03, 02:45 PM
QuiltR1024

In article , "Dr. Quilter"
writes:

Since the binding tends to wear first on a quilt, how about
Kevlar or the more readily available Nomex?

Hi All,
These are fabrics that the military uses in their uniforms. I know that my
busbands flight suits were make of "nomex". They were fire retardant too.

Kris ( in northernVirginia)