Pricing help needed ... (corrected link)

Old August 28th 03, 09:44 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Pricing help needed ... (corrected link)

Thanks, TL -- I aded the pricing formula you came up with to Bead Notes for all
to refer to.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old August 29th 03, 02:21 AM
Deirdre S.

It was a PITA, but a satisfying and educational one in the long run.
And what I learned in the process means doing another in the same vein
would be less difficult and time-consuming.

But with me in the retailer's role via Eclectic Beadery, I am far more
inclined to price it at somewhere in the neighborhood of double your
$40 suggestion. That might be just barely do-able as a wholesale
price for a buyer who wanted many other things as well.

Is that totally unreasonable? Would it sit there forever on Eclectic
Beadery, being noticed but not bought, at such a price? I've seen
single-strand strung necklaces for more, with comparable semi-precious
stones as focals -- and this took considerably more time to create
than a strung necklace would.

Even the strung jasper necklaces in my offering I am inclined to put
at $60 or more, and if the seed bead stuff can't return at least
minimum wage for the time they take, then making them at all (for
sale, at least) just makes no sense.

Am I being unrealistic in my needs and expectations here?

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:37:01 -0700 (PDT),
(rainbow) wrote:

If the copper necklace was fast and inexpensive .. $25 if it was a total
PITA and expensive $40.

Old August 29th 03, 02:55 AM
Deirdre S.

Whew!

Now I just have to hope that the buying public is in tune with them,
too.

A more difficult and uncertain question to answer, but one I can only
test in the laboratory of everyday life...

I don't want to price myself right out of business by asking less than
it costs me to make things. And I can't afford to keep making things
that don't at least pay for themselves, plus a bit to grow on...

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:44:53 -0700, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Deirdre S.
:

]Am I being unrealistic in my needs and expectations here?

no.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old August 29th 03, 04:05 PM
Deirdre S.

lol Yeah, that's the big question for all of us, isn't it?

Will anyone buy what we make at a price that will keep us going?

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:32:11 -0700, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Deirdre S.
:

]Now I just have to hope that the buying public is in tune with them,
]too.

well, you didn't say THAT!

-----------

Old August 29th 03, 07:42 PM
Christina Peterson

So, the final answer will always be "What the market will bear". So always
do some comparison pricing too.

Tina

Old August 29th 03, 07:57 PM
Deirdre S.

And try stuff that doesn't fly in one market ... in as many other
markets as you can get access to before you either lower your prices
to an unsustainable level, or give up on that particular product...

Deirdre