Have you ever wanted to give away all your needlework gear?

Old December 13th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

Default Have you ever wanted to give away all your needlework gear?

I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?
Old December 13th 11, 11:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sara

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:02:28 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
wrote:

I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?

I have had more than one hiatus of over a year when I had no desire to
stitch. I think I would wait a year or 2 to see if you want to again.
If not, then divest yourself of your stash.
JMO,
Sara
Old December 13th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/12/11 10:02 PM, Kalmia wrote:
I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?

first - put it up here - some one will pay postage to get it.

Second - I've left and returned to needlework a few times. And have 20
year old WIPS to show for it..

Give yourself 6 months to a year. Do something else for a hobby. Paint,
knit, garden, take up glass blowing - what ever takes your fancy. While
I love the finish, it the process for me.

Hugs and stick around here.

Cheryl
Old December 14th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

Don't do it! Just put things away. Chances are almost certain that
within a year or two that you will be ready to stitch! Or a friend or
relative will want to learn, and you will be able to teach and to
share your goodies. Or someone will have a baby. Or someone will be
ill or disabled. And you will be able to make a perfect gift! I
have on occasion put various things away, and have ALWAYS gone back to
them in one capacity or another -- knitting, crochet, tatting,
weaving, painting, and quilting.
Old December 15th 11, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

I couldn't have said it better. Life is rhythmic. We go in and out,
never really letting go. The same question crossed my mind. I quickly
dismissed it. I'll be out of school. I'll pick up needle and thread,
or knitting needles, or a crochet hook. I'll see something at just the
right time and the urge will return. I've done the same with music over
the years. I get passionate, it wanes, and I go back stronger than ever.

Such is life.

Dianne

Old January 3rd 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 12/12/11 10:02 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?

A good question. DH & I were discussing this while driving around DC on New
Year's Eve EVE... We went to visit Tom (Jefferson Memorial) - where we were
married (not so doable anymore), surprisingly several groups of people
wandering thru - at 11 pm. And this de-stashing came up.

I think when you just feel uninspired and like doing a project is work,
gives you no joy it's definitely time for a break. Our infamously not fully
unpacked rec room which is a large open space - part media, the other part
my sewing/stitchin' had me doing the "what do I do with this stuff"
thinking. And for me, I decided that the reality of projects which I have
no desire to do - or place to put if I do them - said - start divesting.
So, I've started sorting things - some going to friends I know will enjoy
them, others into a pile for donations somewhere.

I haven't had the full "don't want to do anything" feeling - but I have had
the stitching hiatus - a few times in the last 20 years. In the past 10,
I've found myself knitting when taking time off. And then found after a
while, my fingers itching to pick up my stitching - so off again.

Maybe look at what you have, and think about it - what really will you not
be able to finish/do, and what may in a while intrigue you. I wouldn't dump
it all too quickly - but you might winnow it down. For the sore fingers -
maybe some therapy gloves, shorter times of stitching, hand massages. I've
starting being more likely to do alternative finishing rather than framing.
Sounds like you should at the least take a break and relax. Maybe look at
the situation in a month or two, and revisit.

Regardless - think of having a happy new year with which to enjoy life.

Ellice

Old July 17th 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Answering my own post. I just finished my last needlepoint project - took almost two years, of which maybe 5 months was spent stitching. I re-read all your answers and think I will whittle down the stash and get it into a smaller container.

I recently had the pleasure of viewing the Bayeux tapestry....and a little voice said, "You can duplicate that horse or boat....". I was quite surprised to see that the gift shop there had NO needlework kits!! ( Relieved, kinda.) Just ff like cheesy mugs with a guy on a horse and the words "I saw the Bayeux tapestry" and an arrow pointing to the guy on the horse. What was THAT arrow for?

Old July 17th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 7/16/2014 6:40 PM, wrote:
Answering my own post. I just finished my last needlepoint project -

Congrats on the finish!

I recently had the pleasure of viewing the Bayeux tapestry....and a
little voice said, "You can duplicate that horse or boat....".

I guess that means the stitching bug isn't quite gone, yet!

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old July 18th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:48:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I recently had the pleasure of viewing the Bayeux tapestry....and a little voice said, "You can duplicate that horse or boat....".

Makes one feel a bit lacking doesn't it ? Nice to see it though.

It got me thinking about the logistics of executing such a grand thing. I wondered who organized the project, how many women stitched, how many hours it took, if there was one master plan on paper, where they worked etc. I got as close as I could, but could see no seams or joinings. The audio thingie could not be paused, so the explanation got way ahead of me. Another woman behind me and I, using our old high school Latin (un)knowledge, managed to translate what was happening. I later on bought the guide book, but inadvertently picked up one in Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Danish!! Out came the old Spanish grammar and dictionary, and I wrote in the translation as best I could.

Need help with making pro wrestling gear Seth Sewing 10 June 18th 09 02:54 AM
Baby gear Boca Jan Quilting 9 April 9th 07 04:36 AM
Sewing machine suugestions for outdoor gear [email protected] Quilting 6 May 6th 05 02:35 PM
FS:T-shirts and Gear James Wright Marketplace 0 March 6th 05 10:08 PM
Problem with bobbin gear Wave Jumper Sewing 1 June 1st 04 02:03 AM