And time for

Old December 9th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default And time for

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote .
Afford the fines? It's five cents a day. I can't buy a piece of gum
for five cents. I get the impression you think I'm some millionaire
who can afford five cents. Even if a book is a week late it's 35
cents.
Victoria

Our library here is 30 cents a day--I sometimes am a day or two late and
think that paying the fine and getting change back from a loonie is the
cheapest way to a clean conscience there is!
Recently they have started a Hot Picks kiosk where there are copies of books
that are best sellers and have long waiting lists. You can borrow the book
for one week only, no renewals, and the fines are $1 per day. I think it is
great.

Dawne

I just came back from our library, having renewed the book I have just
started, A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini. I discovered the
fines are 10 cents a day. I told the new library staff that in 11 years,
I have never paid a fine. Not that my books weren't usually late, but
the librarian didn't bother with them. Wow, they sure have changed...and
for the better, too. It doesn't smell musty anymore, there aren't piles
of boxes all over the place; the library is aways open on the posted
hours etc. I don't mind a fine if they keep this up!

Gillian
Old December 9th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Gillian Murray wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:

[...]

I don't mind paying the fines nowadays - I can well afford it. I was
talking about the days when money was tight, and the fifty cent fines
would buy a couple of 25c paperbacks at a rummage sale.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old December 9th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Dawne Peterson wrote:
Our library here is 30 cents a day--I sometimes am a day or two late and
think that paying the fine and getting change back from a loonie is the
cheapest way to a clean conscience there is!
Recently they have started a Hot Picks kiosk where there are copies of books
that are best sellers and have long waiting lists. You can borrow the book
for one week only, no renewals, and the fines are $1 per day. I think it is
great.

A mobile library van from Kirkwall library
www.orkneylibrary.org.uk/html/mobiles.htm visits this island once a
month, you can take as many books as you wish and there are no fines for
late books. The main library has an online search facility
http://212.219.208.10/TalisPrism which is very useful when ordering
books, we just check that the book is in stock then email the library
asking for it to be put on the mobile library van when it next vists
Stronsay.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old December 10th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"Jangchub" wrote .

Afford the fines? It's five cents a day. I can't buy a piece of gum
for five cents. I get the impression you think I'm some millionaire
who can afford five cents. Even if a book is a week late it's 35
cents.
Victoria

Our library here is 30 cents a day--I sometimes am a day or two late and
think that paying the fine and getting change back from a loonie is the
cheapest way to a clean conscience there is!
Recently they have started a Hot Picks kiosk where there are copies of
books that are best sellers and have long waiting lists. You can borrow
the book for one week only, no renewals, and the fines are $1 per day. I
think it is great.

Dawne

There is no charge for getting books from our library. Max. time out is two
weeks.
If one does not return and/or renew for another week then there is a fine of
50¢ a day. Fair game.
Paying $2.50 for a late return of "How to improve your memory" can be a bit
embarrassingg

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old December 10th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:04:48 GMT, lucretia borgia
wrote:

Give up - you're whining - that's what I was told because I discussed
something. Personally, I believe the fine is a nice little
contribution, far better than being solely a user

That's what I'm sayin. Wahhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhh
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

I think that's what we're all saying.

Old December 10th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Our library now sends an email a few days before things are due, but I
never mind paying the fines because it helps support the library.
Victoria

But then, you can afford to. I remember when we were "young'n'broke",
with two small children constantly in need of shoes or something, and I
did almost all my reading at the public library. I went there
regularly, every week, for my dose of escape fiction, plus all my
research, and library fines were something to be avoided at all costs,
because for the price of a library fine I could either buy some more
groceries, or, perhaps, a paperback book at a yard sale.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Exactly. When I have a fine, I don't mind handing them $1 and saying
"keep the change", but I have fines so rarely that it's no big deal.
OTOH, the ex was already spending more than he was earning, and incurred
library fines on a monthly basis, putting himself even further in the hole.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 10th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/10/08 6:17 AM, in article , "Karen C
in California" wrote:

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

[...]

I was witness to a conversation at the local library. To insure that
videos/DVDs are returned promptly, the fine is a $1 day after a 2 day grace.
(books have a one day grace period.)

One parent was screaming at the librarian that the fines were more than the
cost of the video. To which she replied that we called you three times after
the first 5 days to remind you of the fines and offer to renew it. We spoke
to you one day X, left messages on these dates. The video is 35 days over
due. She flung video at her and left.

Meanwhile, I'm hiding with my hand over DD's mouth because it is our (now
moved) neighbor. Don't know if the fine was ever collected, but I do know
that Dad and kids don't use the public library anymore.

Old December 10th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:
[...]

WOW - I thought our library had great service, but yours DELIVERS!! VBG

sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old December 10th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Susan Hartman wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
A mobile library van from Kirkwall library
www.orkneylibrary.org.uk/html/mobiles.htm visits this island once a
month, you can take as many books as you wish and there are no fines
for late books. The main library has an online search facility
http://212.219.208.10/TalisPrism which is very useful when ordering
books, we just check that the book is in stock then email the library
asking for it to be put on the mobile library van when it next vists
Stronsay.

WOW - I thought our library had great service, but yours DELIVERS!! VBG

sue

We are very fortunate on the island and if we visit Kirkwall we can use
the main library there; it's a brand new building complete with a very
comprehensive archive of things Orcadian.
I used the archives to track down ownership of our house from its
building in 1914 up to 1973 when the method of recording ownership
changed. It was interesting to see that the deeds to our house include
the original bill of sale for the land which is signed by "Colonel
William Edward Ligonier Balfour of Balfour and Trenabie in the County of
Orkney" and witnessed by his butler and his chauffeur.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK