And time for

Old December 16th 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

Default And time for

On 2008-12-16, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:36:52 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

snip

Where is Brat, how is Cheryl, anyone else freezing?
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

Not sure if my posts have been going through, but Cheryl is still without power
as are many others nearby. She's fine, and living at a hotel for now without
internt access. She may not get power back till early next week. I saw lots
of power company trucks from Canada at a hotel next to work this morning
hopefully one is headed her way, and thank you Canada for sendng them.
-Margaret

--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o

|/\ / Let it snow!!
http://www.silverthorn.org/mstjohn
///
Old December 16th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

ellice wrote:
On 12/13/08 9:05 AM, "anne" wrote:

says...

Last week I read Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews, which I also
really liked, and it's also a murder mystery.

When I went to my library's online catalog to place a hold on the peacocks
book, some of her titles looked familiar. Since my memory is awful, I'll just
reread it

On the shelf waiting to see what I get to first are three books by
authors I haven't read anything by yet; Sister Carol Anne O'Marie,
M.C.Beaton and ......Monica Ferris. (No, I really haven't read her
before.)

I like MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series. BBC America had a
run of Hamish MacBeth shows; does anyone know if Agatha was translated to the
big or little screens?

I loved the Hamish MacBeth series. But, alas, even the rerun-reruns are
gone. I don't recall the Agatha Raisin ones being done, but I'm no
authority. Interesting that some of the actors from Hamish MacBeth then
became familiar on the bigger screen - namely Shirley Henderson (who was in
the Bridget Jones movies, and the first Harry Potter), and of course Robert
Carlyle - who has been in any number of films - good and bad.

I love Robert Carlyle in "The Full Monty", and he was one of the most
chilling villains I have even seen when he played a skinhead in a
"Cracker" episode.

I've kept up reading the HM series, but haven't started the Agatha Raisin
ones - but I may.

ellice

If these haven't been suggested, Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn and Chee
mysteries set in the four corners area. Wonderful mysteries with Navajo
and Hopi themes.

MargW
Old December 16th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Default OT Women and banks etc, was And time for

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"lucretia borgia" wrote
I know I had friends who could never see the point of maintaining
credit cards in one's own name. They did of course when they were
widowed, however, that has changed for the better here and now a widow
is not considered penniless anymore.

I had one friend who when her husband died in 1983 found the bank had
cancelled her Visa card. The manager said he wanted to talk to her
before she had any cards. She was in there in a flash and tore a
strip off him, she had always earned more than her husband and had
paid the bills and done all the finances. He offered her the card
back but she took it, folded it and walked out and changed banks. As
she said, hell of a nuisance to do so, but worth it !

When I bought my house, which was paid for out of my bank account with
monies I had from the sale of a previous house, the bank I dealt with in
Regina sent the money back to my bank in Yellowknife, because they had filed
the mortagage papers under DH's name alone (he was NEVER co-owner, so not on
title of the house, but had to sign the mortgage papers under the then
homestead law) and claimed to have no knowledge of me. I was stuck with the
mortgage at that bank, but switched all my other banking.

That was 25 years ago--things must be better now, right???

My current bank recently called last month to leave a message for DH, which
I passed on, but of course didn't reply to. A week later, they called
again--the call was about a jointly held account. The second time they left
the message for "either T or Dawne". They are aware I am unimpressed.

I don't know why banks, particularly when so many banking officers are
women, are so 19th century in their dealings with women.

Dawne

A couple of years ago, after my mother's death, we went into the bank to
discuss investing my inheritance,(a sum around $200,000). We met with
the investment officer,(a woman) and got everything arranged in both
names. Putting the money in both names means if one of us passes away
there is less hassle with probate.

The first letter that came thanking us for our business, and doing the
blah, blah, anything we can do to help blah, blah, was addressed to the
DH alone, and spoke of his inheritance. Don't think I didn't call, and
tear a strip off the investment person. Now, I think it was just a
clerical error, but sheesh!

MargW
Old December 16th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

lucretia borgia ) writes:
I wonder if anything similar happened to Jim (especially after Jill
died) or to Bruce or Fred ?

It just occurred to me, are we looking at plain old bank errors, or
are they slanted to sexist errors ?

Jill and I had a female lawyer; I also had zero problems. Jill's will
was settled in four days. Jim.

Old December 16th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:33:53 -0500, MargW
opined:

[...]

No problems with our finances, everything is in joint accounts and
correspondence is always addressed to "Mr & Mrs Fletcher"; the
statements are marked with the cryptic note "EOS" meaning "Either Or
Survivor".
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old December 16th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2008-12-16, lucretia borgia wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:01:12 -0500, "Margaret St. John"
opined:

Not sure if my posts have been going through, but Cheryl is still without power
as are many others nearby. She's fine, and living at a hotel for now without
internt access. She may not get power back till early next week. I saw lots
of power company trucks from Canada at a hotel next to work this morning
hopefully one is headed her way, and thank you Canada for sendng them.
-Margaret

Good to have an update thanks. Do you happen to know if Brat is okay?

We's neighbours and would always send them - you sent your guys for
our ice storm and after Hurricane Juan and Boston did us proud for the
Halifax Explosion in 1917
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion see under Medical
Relief.

I haven't heard from Brat, but her area didn't get hit by the ice storm.
The coast stayed warm.
-Margaret

--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o

Old December 17th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

MargW wrote:

A couple of years ago, after my mother's death, we went into the bank to
discuss investing my inheritance,(a sum around $200,000). We met with
the investment officer,(a woman) and got everything arranged in both
names. Putting the money in both names means if one of us passes away
there is less hassle with probate.

The probate lawyer (who answers to Uncle Bill and therefore really has
my best interest in mind) recommended I have the account for my
inheritance titled in a certain way to ensure the money would not be
subject to a community-property dispute in the almost-certain divorce.

The woman filling out the forms didn't want to type the extra words
until I told her the lawyer was not going to send the check if the title
on the account was exactly as he had dictated to me. It wasn't enough
that I told her this was the wording the lawyer wanted, I had to
threaten that the check would not be coming to her bank at all before
she agreed to doing it the lawyer's way.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 17th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Karen C in California wrote:
MargW wrote:

[...]

Good thing.

In our case, the inheritance came after 35 years of marriage, so if
there were to be a divorce, it would probably be all moot.

MargW
Old December 17th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Jangchub wrote:
The story is over the top.
Victoria

Ir may be over the top, but it's absolutely true.

I've lost touch with her, since a single working mother of 3 doesn't
have much time for anything, but I can (offlist) give you her full name
and the name of the law firm she worked at last time I spoke to her, and
you can call and ask their office manager to verify the story if she no
longer works there. She had the 3d child while she was working there,
so I expect the office manager knows the whole story.

Old December 17th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

MargW wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:

The woman filling out the forms didn't want to type the extra words
until I told her the lawyer was not going to send the check if the
title on the account was not exactly as he had dictated to me. It wasn't
enough that I told her this was the wording the lawyer wanted, I had
to threaten that the check would not be coming to her bank at all
before she agreed to doing it the lawyer's way.

Good thing.

In our case, the inheritance came after 35 years of marriage, so if
there were to be a divorce, it would probably be all moot.

Since the ex had been going around telling people he should've sued for
a share of his first wife's mother's estate, I knew what was coming; he
wasn't going to make the same "mistake" twice.

And when he started being a jerk about the money from Day One, insisting
that I spend most of it on him, that pretty much ensured that a divorce
was coming. I thought we needed a house so we weren't giving our entire
Social Security checks for rent, he thought he needed a luxury-brand
bright red convertible more than a house, and sulked when I pointed out
that he had a perfectly good car which was only a couple years old.
There wasn't enough money to buy both.