And time for

Old December 15th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Default OT Women and banks etc, was And time for

"lucretia borgia" wrote
I know I had friends who could never see the point of maintaining
credit cards in one's own name. They did of course when they were
widowed, however, that has changed for the better here and now a widow
is not considered penniless anymore.

I had one friend who when her husband died in 1983 found the bank had
cancelled her Visa card. The manager said he wanted to talk to her
before she had any cards. She was in there in a flash and tore a
strip off him, she had always earned more than her husband and had
paid the bills and done all the finances. He offered her the card
back but she took it, folded it and walked out and changed banks. As
she said, hell of a nuisance to do so, but worth it !

When I bought my house, which was paid for out of my bank account with
monies I had from the sale of a previous house, the bank I dealt with in
Regina sent the money back to my bank in Yellowknife, because they had filed
the mortagage papers under DH's name alone (he was NEVER co-owner, so not on
title of the house, but had to sign the mortgage papers under the then
homestead law) and claimed to have no knowledge of me. I was stuck with the
mortgage at that bank, but switched all my other banking.

That was 25 years ago--things must be better now, right???

My current bank recently called last month to leave a message for DH, which
I passed on, but of course didn't reply to. A week later, they called
again--the call was about a jointly held account. The second time they left
the message for "either T or Dawne". They are aware I am unimpressed.

I don't know why banks, particularly when so many banking officers are
women, are so 19th century in their dealings with women.

Dawne

Old December 15th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default And time for

lucille wrote:

"Karen C in California" wrote in message

Somewhere in town is a woman with a maiden name one letter off from
mine, and the identical birthdate. Before my first visit to the
medical center, a few months after moving here, the appointment clerk
called to set me up with a medical record number, and decided she knew
better than I did whether I'd been there before.

Why on earth would they ever ask for your maiden name? No one has ever
asked me for that.

To get your older medical records.

In this case, because the medical center does keep your records from
birth, and thought they could match me up with the records from my
childhood, over my insistence that I had only just moved here and didn't
have any prior records there. Clearly, the records clerk thought I was
trying to distance myself from the embarrassing information in those
records, and decided to take it upon herself to force me to fess up to it.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 15th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Dawne Peterson wrote:

It is curious to me in this new millenium why we still assume women will
change their name throughout life and men never will.
My name is my name is my name--so probably no use to my children as a secret
code to get the bank to hand over their PIN.

I had the same thought about a friend who had three little accidents
without benefit of clergy ... and who has had it up to here with their
flaky fathers and therefore swears she's never getting married.
Mother's maiden name is also mother's current name and baby's last name.

Old December 15th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

lucille wrote:

[...]

I still find it strange, especially for medical records. Here almost
every medical record is purged after about 7 and 10 years to save space.
Even with computers, most of the hospitals and doctors don't keep them
longer then that. I was looking for something from 10 years ago and was
told that there was no way I could find them and to give up the search.

I've been asked to volunteer medical information from years ago to connect a
problem with genes, but no one suggested looking at old records.

I can understand that question for things like birth certificates but I
can't understand why they would need it for anything else. I suppose there
are such circumstances, but unless you're in training to be a
counter-espionage agent why would that information be a requirement? For
those people who are going to mention genealogy, there you would make the
decision to use that info, but no one would tell you that you absolutely
must.

You seem to run into strange problems.

Old December 15th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Bruce Fletcher
The Scottish registrars of births, deaths & marriages require a lot of
detail. When I registered the death of my grandmother, aged 84) in 1985 I
had to give the maiden name of her mother (who died in 1938). Apparently
this is why genealogists are always happy when they have to trace anyone
with family connections in Scotland.
--

(VBG) With my mum's family, there are enough Margaret Andersons and John
Andersons, across generations and on both sides, to make your head spin.

Dawne

Same here. The Scots are notorious for naming the children for the
parents or grandparents. Margaret and John are probably the most common
names in my family as well.

In my McQueen and Logan ancestors there are numerous Margarets including
in one instance, a mother, daughter, granddaughter and daughter-in-law.
Try figuring out who is whom! I'm Margaret Elizabeth, who was named
after an aunt Margaret Elizabeth, who was named after an aunt Margaret
Elizabeth....

MargW
Old December 15th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2008-12-15, MargW wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:
(VBG) With my mum's family, there are enough Margaret Andersons and John
Andersons, across generations and on both sides, to make your head spin.
Footnotes definitely required.

Dawne

Same here. The Scots are notorious for naming the children for the
parents or grandparents. Margaret and John are probably the most common
names in my family as well.

In my McQueen and Logan ancestors there are numerous Margarets including
in one instance, a mother, daughter, granddaughter and daughter-in-law.
Try figuring out who is whom! I'm Margaret Elizabeth, who was named
after an aunt Margaret Elizabeth, who was named after an aunt Margaret
Elizabeth....

MargW

SOunds like the problem my FIL is having all the firstborn sons are John St. JOhn
including himself and his son. Its driving him nuts trying to determine which
is which going through all the old birth, death, and marriage files.

-Margaret
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o
o Margaret St. John

|/\ / Let it snow!!
http://www.silverthorn.org/mstjohn
///
Old December 15th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Dawne Peterson wrote:

It is curious to me in this new millenium why we still assume women will
change their name throughout life and men never will.
My name is my name is my name--so probably no use to my children as a
secret code to get the bank to hand over their PIN.

I had the same thought about a friend who had three little accidents
without benefit of clergy ... and who has had it up to here with their
flaky fathers and therefore swears she's never getting married. Mother's
maiden name is also mother's current name and baby's last name.

Just for the record, in case anyone should think I am also a flake--neither
of my children were accidents (not even calculated risks!!), I was married
to each of their fathers, and their surnames are not mine. But my name has
remained my name throughout. (Rather funny to have the priest introduce the
new couple as.......DH and Me, both named exactly as they were before the
whole rigamarole!)

Dawne

Old December 16th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucille wrote:

You seem to run into strange problems.

And most of them with the strange rules and strange people at the
medical center.

Old December 16th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Jangchub wrote:

Three little accidents with multiple fatherrs who were flaky? She
should examine herr shortcomings, not blame men; flaky or otherwise.
When we have sex unprotected, and unprotected, we can get pregnant.
That is not an accident, that is a decision.
Victoria

There you go assuming the worst. People DO get pregnant while using
protection.

She is one of those people for whom the Pill is not foolproof. I know
her well enough that if she says she takes it at 7:00 every day, she
takes it at 7:00, not 7:01. (As opposed to someone else I know who got
pregnant on the Pill, where I suspect she only remembers to take it on
alternate Tuesdays.)

After the first one, she asked to have her tubes tied and they wouldn't
do it till she was 30. After the second one, she asked again, and they
wouldn't do it till she was 30. After the third one, the doctor
realized they couldn't wait till she was 30, and broke all the rules to
do it for her.

Old December 16th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:36:52 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

Just for the record, in case anyone should think I am also a
flake--neither
of my children were accidents (not even calculated risks!!), I was married
to each of their fathers, and their surnames are not mine. But my name
has
remained my name throughout. (Rather funny to have the priest introduce
the
new couple as.......DH and Me, both named exactly as they were before the
whole rigamarole!)

Dawne

My first very short marriage, which was the most unhealthy thing I
ever did in my entire life, I changed my name and I lost myself. Funny
how that works. It felt like I got a divorce from my father when I
married my x husband.

This marriage I'm in now there was no wedding, just the marriage and
we're still best friends, happy, NO KIDS agreed, no expectations and I
kept my name. I only use a hyphenated name when necessary and even
then, only to avoid insurance crap and corruption...which is what my
MIL used to tell my husband and his siblings when they asked her what
was for dinner! RO sentence.

Where is Brat, how is Cheryl, anyone else freezing?
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

-30 F windchills here. Brrr!!