sewing fabric backing to knitting

Old May 6th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default sewing fabric backing to knitting

Hi everyone!
I'm just completing that rush job of a piano-key scarf. I've decided
to back it in black satin. I'm thinking that I can't do it like
regular fabric by stitching it inside out and turning because then,
I'd have lumpy edges.

I am thinking of making my own seam binding out of the same satin and
just sandwiching the knitting and fabric in there. Am I being suicidal
on this? I know satin can be slippery. Any ideas out there?

I need to know TODAY! HAHAHAHA! Rush job for choir! Pant, pant,
pant.

Wendy -- thanks to all you brilliant and creative people out there!

Old May 6th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

Why not use a shiny fabric that is not as slippery as satin and would
hold up a bit better, and be easier to work with? As to technique, I
suggest you make a large tube of the fabric that is about 2" wider
than the scarf, turn it inside out so the seam is in the inside, and
then press it so the seam will be in the center and next to the scarf
and won't show at all. Then simply hand-sew the tube to the scarf,
using the extra width as the binding for the edges.