Preconceptions

Old August 14th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mystified One

Default Preconceptions

Hell, Wooly, I'd show up with some of those funky novelty yarns in wild colors,
and a copy of "Stich N Bitch" just to show who is really "quaint" and who is
with it in today's world!

"Wooly" wrote in message
: On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:53:26 -0500, "Shillelagh"
: spewed forth :
:
:
: "Wooly" wrote in message
: .. .
: Grrrr.
:
: At "Back to School" day Thursday my son's teacher said (in front of
: about half of the third grade parents) something like "And we're sure
: [Woolygrrl] is going to _dress up_ and demonstrate all her quaint
: spinning and knitting skills this year at our Prairie Days
: re-enactment."
:
: That was pretty nervy of her to say that without checking with you first to
: see if you even wanted to do a demo - never mind the comment about the
: clothing. Talk about making assumptions, and the ASS U ME !!
:
: Sending sympathy your way.... and am very glad my kids are long gone from
: school.
:
: Eh, I've already signed up to "share my hobbies" so it isn't as if she
: was springing a surprise on me. It was the "oh how quaint" thing I
: found objectionable.
:
: +++++++++++++
:
: Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
: This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
: Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Old August 14th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Rosemar

Wooly, I'd say that the teacher received a long overdue lesson in
"Diversity"

Old August 14th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Rosemar

Old August 14th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 15:29:05 -0300, Katherine spun a fine yarn

YarnWright wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:08:24 -0300, Katherine spun a fine yarn

YarnWright wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:30:12 -0300, Katherine spun a fine yarn

Wooly wrote:
Grrrr.

At "Back to School" day Thursday my son's teacher said (in front
of about half of the third grade parents) something like "And
we're sure [Woolygrrl] is going to _dress up_ and demonstrate all
her quaint spinning and knitting skills this year at our Prairie
Days re-enactment."

This of course focused every eye on the room on me, as I was
sitting placidly in the back knitting whilst listening to the dog
and pony show that was the "welcome back to school" spiel put on
by the two 3rd grade teachers.

I got to explain (briefly, but I did wedge it in despite the
teachers' best efforts to Move It Right Along) that no, I don't
"dress up" to do demonstrations unless one considers that I put on
clothes every morning like everybody else because neither knitting
nor spinning are dead arts nor likely to become dead arts, and we
have quite modern equipment these days although I personally don't
own any modern-style spinning wheels at present so my "costume"
for demonstrations is whatever I happen to put on to wear any
given day.

I did so want to get this year off to a good start. Instead I had
to make the teacher look like a fool in front of about 30 people,
all of whom undoubtedly shared her preconceived notion of the
quaintness of handwork generally and spinning specifically.

*sigh*

Well, you have the opportunity to educate her, Wooly. Remember, a
university education doesn't necessarily mean that someone is
smart. g Most of us are, but there are exceptions. Give her
another chance. She meant well.

Higs,
Katherine

Book smart and logic dumb.......
LOL

Yepper. Sigh!

And... that's not to say ALL 'ed-ju-cated' people are logic dumb,
either.... but......

Nor are all "un-educated" people street smart, right? g

Higs,
Katherine

Yep-pers!
GRIN,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0632-2, 08/10/2006
Tested: 8/13/2006 10:50:03 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 14th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:16:25 GMT, Mystified One spun a fine yarn

Hell, Wooly, I'd show up with some of those funky novelty yarns in wild colors,
and a copy of "Stich N Bitch" just to show who is really "quaint" and who is
with it in today's world!

I want YOU in MY corner!
Got an answer for people who can't wrap their brains around putting
food by (canning, etc) too????

Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0632-2, 08/10/2006
Tested: 8/13/2006 10:51:34 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 14th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Wooly wrote:
snip

Eh, I've already signed up to "share my hobbies" so it isn't as if she
was springing a surprise on me. It was the "oh how quaint" thing I
found objectionable.

Yes, using the word "quaint" seems kind of weird; it's such an old-
fashioned word, for one thing. To my ear, it comes with a built-in
sneer that is very different from the effect of "traditional" or
"fine handwork".

The whole statement just sounds awfully arch. (Now there's another
old-fashioned word.) In fact, it sounds like an advertising flyer -
"Actual People Doing Quaint Handicrafts!"

=Tamar
Old August 14th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mystified One

No, but I'll give you my address and send you some empty quart jars! g

Old August 14th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I like ripe tomatoes in the summer and in the winter. When a cannery is
receiving tomatoes in 4 foot deep boxes, any ripe tomatoes would be - a
mess. And every summer, I see those semi trailers carrying great heaps of
roma tomatoes to the canneries - and I know that there is not a bit of
flavor in the whole truck load.

No less than Lee Iacocca (sp?head of Chrysler motors a while back) said that
the problem with America today is that our tomatoes can survive a 10 mph
crash with a concrete barrier and our cars can not.

Aaron

Old August 14th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:10:57 GMT, Mystified One spun a fine yarn

No, but I'll give you my address and send you some empty quart jars! g

hee hee hee!

Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0633-0, 08/14/2006
Tested: 8/14/2006 12:05:12 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006