Newby trying to keep up!

Old April 13th 04, 03:51 AM
muse9

Default Newby trying to keep up!

Hi again,

I haven't posted in a few days due to the holidays and all and WOW! - do the
posts ever build up quickly! I have already asked a few questions and
received many helpful responses but now I have a new question: How do you
keep up with the posts! I hate to miss anything since I learn so much from
all of you and also enjoy your conversations in general!

I hope eveyone had a happy and peaceful holiday weekend. I finally finished
the doll dress I was making for my DGD so I am just about ready to actually
start learning to quilt! I can't wait! And, my DS and DDIL gave me an
Easter basket with some fat quarters in it! My very first fat quarters!
(told you I was new to this!) I was thinking about starting small and maybe
making something like coasters. I've seen quilted coasters a few times.
Have any of you made quilted coasters? Is 100% cotton absorbent enough for
coasters? Well, someone said I should start small........

I am also very excited that we have started working on turning a partially
finished room in our unfinished basement into a sewing room! My DH has the
whole two car garage as his wood working shop so I decided that for leaving
my car out in the snow in the winter I deserved to have a sewing room in the
basement! This room has finished walls and a painted concrete floor and
that is about it. I worked so hard the past few weeks cleaning all the
collected junk out of the room and finally got it done. (I really should do
that to the rest of the basement!) So, this weekend my DH has started
working on putting a ceiling up in the room. Once that is done I will
repaint the room including the concrete floor. It is not in our budget to
install a new floor right now but with lots of throw rugs I think it will
work out fine for now. Right now my sewing area consists of about a 5 foot
wall in the corner of our very small office. I don't think there is any way
I could work on a quilt in that tiny space. I am so excited to be getting a
room of my own for sewing even if it is in the basement!

I kept my grandchildren over the weekend and all of a sudden my 8 year old
DGD has decided that she wants to learn to sew! In the past she has not
been interested but all of a sudden you can't keep her away from the sewing
machine. She even said she can't wait until "our" new sewing room gets
finished! I will gladly share it with her as I have already passed on
sewing stories from my grandmother and mother.

I'm rambling - please forgive me. Since I haven't posted in a bit I guess I
got carried away.

My best to all,

Bonnie

-----
delete "removespam" to reply

Old April 13th 04, 04:03 AM
Mary in Oregon

Guess I'm able to keep up because I stop here to read messages several times
a day.

You're new sewing room sounds wonderful. All my sewing is in the living and
dining rooms and storage is in my bedroom. Maybe someday I'll have a sewing
room.

--
Mary

Old April 13th 04, 04:27 AM
Polly Esther

Oh dear Bonnie. Here or in life, you just must pick your battles. This place
is one. You simply can not keep up. It helps a bit to mark a post you are
interested in so you can come back and see what's happened but it is
impossible to read every one and every answer.
An Easter Basket with FQs. How wonderful. As to "doing" your sewing
room, we've talked about that here lots of times. When you have an hour or
so, go back through our posts for our gotta haves and don'ts. We've had many
successes and a few never mores.
As to coasters. I need one to set my iron on. She dribbles. I was
thinking maybe a ceramic tile with a flannel sleeve and then what? I dunno.
I am sure it depends on where you are going to put the coaster. If you are
thinking Great Aunt Tillie's mahogany dining table that's one thing and if
you are thinking out in the backyard on plastic, that's quite another. Polly

Old April 13th 04, 04:49 AM
Kathy in CA

I keep up with the posts because I am tech support for an ISP and so in
front an online computer 40 hr/week and I do what I want between calls If
you cant read them all--skip the OT (off topic) ones and just read the ones
with a subject line that sounds interesting.

As for working on a small project try something slighly bigger like a pot
holder For me, a small project is a table runner and/or place mats, table
mat, wall hanging, pillow covers, etc. I work on small projects between the
large (bed size) projects. Visit my webshops photos to see my Small Quilt
Projects. Small projects are also a good way to test out block patterns to
see what you like to do best. I just tried my first applique by making 2
small wall hanging--have them both birthed and currently working on quilting
one them

As for abt FQs--the first ones I bought I couldnt ever figure out how to
make a WHOLE project out of that little bitty piece. Now I realze they do
have a use when you only need a little bitty piece One of the BOM I am
working on uses 3-4 FQ for each block each month even though you use the
same background fabric throughout. The fan shape in grandma's fan block is
also another good use of FQ in a table runner

Wish I had a whole room for sewing! I use my dining room table. Oh, well I
do have a office/computer room--guess I cant have everything The first
time the SM left the table was a year after I started piecing/quilting and
then only because I needed it for Christmas dinner 2003 and I have only put
it away once this year! I sew a little bit nearly everyday.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old April 13th 04, 04:56 AM
Polly Esther

Well, Kathy opened the door so I will just waltz right in with a beg. If you
want a really fun beginner project, make a Linus quilt. There's a special
little angel out there needing a hug and your beginner efforts will be
warmly received, probably even chewed on. A first baby quilt only takes five
blocks of "real" quilting. You line them up like tic-tack-toe.
Block,blank,Block on the top. Blank, block, Blank in the middle and on the
bottom, block, blank, block. Doing just five real blocks gives you a great
chance to try out a pattern and baby will feel hugged.
It's all Kathy's fault. She made me do it. Polly

Old April 13th 04, 05:50 AM
Michelle

Bonnie, just read the ones that interest you and use your delete key often!
lol I never open ones about retreats and such usually. Don't be too quick to
ignore the off topic or OT: posts, they are usually the most fun. hehe
Shelly

Old April 13th 04, 07:09 AM
nzl*

lol, feel free to ramble anytime, Bonnie.
the rest of have at times as well.
lovely ramble.

heres a coasters link and an easy placemat link for those scraps you'll have
soon enough, lol. just for small and easy, also useful.
http://quilting.about.com/library/weekly/aa111998.htm
these coasters in two patterns could easily be made by you and DGD. maybe a
mothers day present she could give to her mom.
colours to match the house. oh if you have a michaels or is it joanns near
by, one of them has a wee box that holds these nicely.
hopefully whoever did this last yr will tell us all again which store it
was.
sorry, i dont live in usa anymore, lol.

heres a scrappy placemat, easy peasy and cut as well. hmmm, one to match
those coasters perhaps for a pretty set for mom. just a thought for a
starter on those sewing lessons, lol.
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/basic.html

cute wee pattern than also makes a pincushion and another for needlecase.
you and one for the DGD perhaps. lol, i'm gonna keep you two very busy.
http://www.secretworkshop.com/Html/tips/tip63.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/G_I/How...eedlecase.html

want anymore? i guess not now, you only got a couple weeks, lol.
holler if ya want any more i still got a few quick easy goodies to make.
have fun!!!
jeanne
rqfg
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"muse9" wrote...

Old April 13th 04, 08:31 AM
Patti

Hullo Bonnie
As the others have said, it is virtually impossible to read everything.
But, try to if you can for a little while, until you know from the
titles what you usually fins interesting. If I see a new topic, I will
always read the first one; then, if it is not something which I can
relate to - or whatever - I will delete that thread. There is a snag -
very often a thread will develop into something else!! but I simply
don't have time, so I have to risk that. I do try to read several times
a day - to keep control! If I don't, then I go through systematically,
but deleting as I go. It is frustrating not to be able to sit and chat
all day, in a way g but that's life!

You will love having a sewing room. It is great being able to leave all
your work out and not have to tidy it away after every session. I think
a coaster would be too small for you to begin with. Small isn't
necessarily easy. I do miniatures, so I love small; but it could get a
bit awkward. You've had a few suggestions; I would include placemats in
the list of suggestions. They were the first things I made, and I never
looked back. You can use just one block, and to make it rectangular,
just sew borders on the sides, rather than all the way round. Back it
and bind it and there it is - your first little quilt.

Have fun - it's a great life g
..
In article , muse9
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 13th 04, 12:54 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Bonnie, how exciting to have a real sewing room! I am green with envy, as
my computer and writing and sewing all share a room...and not enough room
for any of them, lol. I wind up doing most of my sewing on the kitchen
table with my Featherweight.

You mentioned making coasters...they might be a bit small to work on for a
first project, but if you decide to do them, I found a site with a pattern I
am going to try this summer:

http://quilting.about.com/library/n_coasterspatt.htm

Some kind person in this group posted the site in January. I thought about
making them as Christmas gifts for next year.

I bet you loved the Easter Basket! My son, who is in his thirties, actually
sent me fat quarters for Christmas one year...hard to picture a big, tall,
burly skier picking out fabric, lol! I really enjoyed that present.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old April 13th 04, 01:47 PM
frood

A sewing room! How exciting! See if your library has the book Setting Up
Your Sewing Space: From Small Areas to Complete Workshops by Myrna
Giesbrecht. My library had it, amazingly enough! They rarely have good stuff
like this! Amazon has it for sale for $12 - it would be a good investment.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply