Price question

Old November 2nd 03, 12:34 AM
JL Amerson

Default Price question

I was just browsing around in Justbeads.com. I found a particular item that
is up for auction for roughly $14. I went to one of the bead shops I order
from and found it there for $3+.

I'm just curious - how many people actually look to see if they can get a
commercial item for less? Or would you consider that it must be a decent
price therefore I bid?

--
JoAnn

Old November 2nd 03, 01:24 AM
Kandice Seeber

That depends on what you're talking about - some things listed at high
prices are handmade art, so there is no commercial equivalent. I know I
personally will sometimes buy from a particular seller no matter what the
price if that person is someone I trust. On the other hand, if I am looking
for something really commercially produced, like Swarovskis, I will look
around for the best price before bidding. Knowing the seller does factor in
to that too. What are you looking at, just out of curiosity?

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old November 2nd 03, 01:32 AM
JL Amerson

It was a Swarovski component. I prefer not to give more details because I
don't want to anger the seller if she/he happens to be a poster here.
Everyone's been so kind and I'd prefer not to alienate myself. (That's why I
said commercial as opposed to lampworked or polymer beads that are a one of
a kind.)

Old November 2nd 03, 02:12 AM
Kandice Seeber

Ohhhhh, well then personally I think it's a good idea to shop around.
Especially if you sell your work - it's good to try and get the best prices.
If you can find it somewhere else for less money and it is the same item, I
say go for it. I think the seller will likely understand.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old November 2nd 03, 02:58 AM
BeckiBead

I found a particular item that
is up for auction for roughly $14.

You can find that on any auction site. There are overpriced beads on Ebay
also.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old November 2nd 03, 03:19 AM
JL Amerson

It kind of boggles me that someone would try to sell a currently available
item for a terribly inflated price. Oh well, maybe PT Barnum was
right........

Old November 2nd 03, 12:30 PM
Lisa

There are many people who don't know what a "reasonable" price is, and there
are also those who are kind of captive audiences...can't get out of the
house, don't want to try to meet a minimum to buy online, don't have an LBS,
etc. There are any number of reasons why people would bid on the item (has
anyone bid, or is it just up for auction?)...and sometimes it's PT Barnum's
reason.

Lisa

Old November 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
BeckiBead

There is one seller on there who I cannot stand for this reason. Rips everyone
off. However, again, that is the way the world of retail is. People buy
things and mark them up, then resell them. It is our choice to buy, or not.

Old November 2nd 03, 10:41 PM
Kaytee

In article ,
"Lisa" writes:

There are any number of reasons why people would bid on the item (has
anyone bid, or is it just up for auction?)...and sometimes it's PT Barnum's
reason.

Also, are you looking at the starting bid price, or what people have bid it up
to? Sometimes a bidding frenzy gets way out of hand....
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old November 2nd 03, 11:44 PM
JL Amerson

It was the starting bid. I know that sometimes a bidding war gets started
and then people truly lose their minds. ;-)

Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
new question - pricing Deborah Beads 21 August 24th 03 07:53 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Price of Jade Question... Dr. Sooz Beads 0 July 15th 03 01:22 AM