Rare/Unusual Metals

Old May 29th 04, 02:58 AM
DT

"Bob Edwards" wrote in message
Peter W. Rowe pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

Palladium is somewhat similar to platinum, but less dense. And it,

unlike
platinum, will oxidize if heated in air. It's frankly, just not as nice

as
platinum. It Does get used now and then, when someone wants something
intermediate in cost between white gold and platinum. It is more

abrasion
resistant, and therefore durable, than white gold, as is platinum. Most

often,
one sees it in the small findings called "heads", which are little die

struck
prong settings used to set stones. While they are more common in

platinum or
gold alloys, one can get them also in palladium.

Hi, Peter:

Glad this came up -- I've been wondering about making some palladium
pieces. I have one piece in particular that I make that's a very
heavy forged man's torque with jeweled ends, in sterling and gold.
It's a nice piece, but the sterling tarnishes (for some people, and
I'm one, it tarnishes a LOT!) I'd love to do it in platinum, except
it would cost a fortune and be way too heavy. Palladium now...in
addition to being lighter, would be much more reasonable in cost.
However, I haven't been able to find a source for a jeweler's alloy
(see references to 90/10 palladium / ruthenium, for example). Pure
palladium rod is easy enough, but do you know a source for a suitable
alloy?

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob

In the past I have worked with palladium and it isn't much fun.
It works well but the trouble you get into is soldering it.
The problem is that the solder joints may break without warning. POP, a
clean break next to the joint.
Yeah, look into the picklepot and see your project in pieces.
There have been times that it took 4-5 times to get a good weld.
I avoid palladium like the plague even through some really nice old pieces
are made out of it.
Go with platinum and leave the palladium alone if you are planning to solder
your pieces together.
Don't get me going on soldering palladium to white gold. You think palladium
to palladium is hard.
I usually work with white gold and platinum.
Yellow gold is my favorite metal for ease of working.

Don Talbert
http://estate-sales-online.com/

[Ganoksin] [Issue #109] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Beads 0 October 16th 04 06:36 PM
AD: Ongoing classes Jewelry and Metalsmithing - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Jewelry 0 February 27th 04 04:25 AM
hardness of metals m4816k Jewelry 0 November 3rd 03 03:48 PM
hardness of metals m4816k Jewelry 1 October 6th 03 04:08 PM
Cleaning tarnish off cheaper metals GreenMan Jewelry 2 July 25th 03 05:29 AM