Doll quilt progress photos

Old August 7th 10, 10:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Doll quilt progress photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onetexsun/with/4867037921/ You wouldn't
think it would take so long to finish a little (24 x 18) doll quilt,
but with me being laid up from my medication adventure and with all
the little details it's taking a while. But it will finally be
finished by Monday. The date for mailing our swap quilts is Aug. 15
for international and Sept. 1 for domestic mailings. I can't show the
whole quilt until my secret partner receives it because there are
things on the quilt specifically mentioned by her as being special to
her. So she would know immediately that it was headed for her. Big no-
no in a secret partner swap.

If you've never done a swap, I highly recommend it. Lots of fun. The
parameters create a challenge, and you get a neat -- whatever the swap
is about -- in return. Very fun. And the process is a hoot because
there is always a photo group and a posting board and people are
chatty and very fun.

I'll post full photos after my partner receives the quilt. And of
course, I'll put up photos of whatever quilt I receive in return. This
is going to have to do for my 'almost happy dancing' for a while.
Afraid I haven't been very productive this past month or so.

Sunny
Having a blast rediscovering embroidery
Old August 7th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh my goodness, Sunny. Just awesome. I was studying the lovely details
and was intrigued by the way the light shines on the leaves. Finally, I
decided you must have used a variegated thread satin stitch for the edges.
Is that how you achieved that? It is just so beautiful and such a procedure
never crossed my mind. Polly

Old August 7th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly you are exactly right. I drew the leaves on a piece of hand-dyed
green fabric. So lots of varying green. I sandwiched it with 80-20
batting, good interfacing and another layer of fabric on the bottom. I
used variegated thread to free motion the outer edge and veins. Then I
put on the satin stitch food, narrowed down the stitch, and went all
around the perimeters with very closely stitched satin stitch in the
variegated. Then with teeny, tiny sharp-sharp scissors I cut around
each leaf. I put the leaf in place and with normal stitching just put
one seam from one tip to the other following the main vein line. That
way the edges are free and it gives a shadow and is sort of
dimensional. I like how it looks. didn't do it with this, but that
technique makes a good flower and a fairly good bird wing.

Sunny
Old August 7th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Sunny, you can eliminate the cutting with tiny scissors if you satin stitch
the edge against a piece of stabilizer. Either a really good tear away or
a water soluble stabilizer would work. Just thought I'd mention it to do
your hands- and eyes- a favor???

It's just gorgeous! You are so very, very artistic and your work is
delightfully unique!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Sunny" wrote in message
Polly you are exactly right. I drew the leaves on a piece of hand-dyed
green fabric. So lots of varying green. I sandwiched it with 80-20
batting, good interfacing and another layer of fabric on the bottom. I
used variegated thread to free motion the outer edge and veins. Then I
put on the satin stitch food, narrowed down the stitch, and went all
around the perimeters with very closely stitched satin stitch in the
variegated. Then with teeny, tiny sharp-sharp scissors I cut around
each leaf. I put the leaf in place and with normal stitching just put
one seam from one tip to the other following the main vein line. That
way the edges are free and it gives a shadow and is sort of
dimensional. I like how it looks. didn't do it with this, but that
technique makes a good flower and a fairly good bird wing.

Sunny

What do you do with an ugly quilt in progress? dealer83 Quilting 48 November 9th 09 06:47 PM
Quilt progress Debra Quilting 0 June 8th 07 03:29 PM
Quilt progress w/pics Ann Quilting 15 July 18th 04 04:49 PM
progress on baby and quilt julia sidebottom Quilting 0 March 10th 04 03:53 AM
quilt progress and a quilt story..a bit long, and with a question CNYstitcher Quilting 4 September 30th 03 03:48 AM