Easy Quilt Question

Old August 6th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default Easy Quilt Question

Have any of you made a baby quilt (cotton only) that pressed the seams OPEN?

How did it wear? Did the batting 'seep' thru?

Niece is working on her first baby quilt and has her first one 1/ 2
finished....seams pressed open. She is at the point of 'should I re-do it
or continue on.

Told her I'd ask here.

Yuppers, we have another one hooked: )

Butterfly (yes, Baby will be getting one of the I Spys....

and Sunny.... Baby IS a GIRL...and is still waiting for HER first quilt)

Old August 6th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

At least one baby quilt per week; seams pressed open. Wears just fine. No
problem. The stitch length on the Bernina is set just a little shorter than
default. The only quilter I've seen with seeping is the one who thinks
'cheap' is a proud victory and she uses some awful @#$! crap for batting.
Polly

Old August 7th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Hmmm, I pretty much love cheap, but not when it comes to batting. I
learned that lesson the first couple quilts I made some years ago. I
used the only batting I knew about, which was that stuff that comes
rolled in a plastic bag at Wal-Mart. Ick. Took me some time to learn
the word 'bearding' for what happened. That and making a mess of my
needles and dulling my scissors. And lumped. And just plain ugly even
when stitched between two layers of fabric.

As for seams pressed open, I do that all the time to cut down on bulk.
I think with finer grained fabric the seams look better when pressed
open.

Glad to hear the niece has come over to the side of good and light.

Sunny
Old August 7th 10, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

No expert here (FAR from it!), but my patchwork teacher says that when
machine piecing it's not a prblem to press seams open but that she
doesn't recommend it for hand-piecing.

Claudia

(who can't wait for class to resume on OCtober 5th!)
Old August 7th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

TANQP! Tell her to continue (unless she can see big gaps if she pulls
a bit on the seam). Most batts these days are pretty well bonded. And
if she wants to use a more natural batt, she can always add a thin
layer of batiste to tame it and not worry about a thing.

Lots of people prefer to press open, and as long as the stitch length
is reasonable, it works just fine!
Roberta in D

Old August 9th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thanks for the replies. She is continuing on. Bought all the materials from
the local LQS so they should hold up.

Butterfly
..

Old August 10th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 6, 6:19*pm, Sunny wrote:
Hmmm, I pretty much love cheap, but not when it comes to batting. I
learned that lesson the first couple quilts I made some years ago. I
used the only batting I knew about, which was that stuff that comes
rolled in a plastic bag at Wal-Mart. Ick. Took me some time to learn
the word 'bearding' for what happened. That and making a mess of my
needles and dulling my scissors. And lumped. And just plain ugly even
when stitched between two layers of fabric.

As for seams pressed open, I do that all the time to cut down on bulk.
I think with finer grained fabric the seams look better when pressed
open.

Glad to hear the niece has come over to the side of good and light.

Sunny

Ha! I did the very same thing. The first quilt I made I used some
awful
batting from Hobby Lobby that was probably even worse than what
Wal Mart sells. About the
third washing, the batting was....gone. It just disappeared. It's like
quilt with no batting now. I have no idea where it went or how it got
out.
I'm glad to hear so many people buck the quilt police and press open
when it suits them. You rebels you.

Sherry
Old August 10th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Speaking of Walmart (was Easy Quilt Question)

My WalMart is still selling fabric by the yardage off the bolt. But the
fabric dept. employees claim to be phasing out the fabric department. Who
knows what they are doing???

Leslie & The Furbabies in remote, rural MO.

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
Maybe someone can explain this to me because I am sooooooo confused.

Ok, so Wal-mart has gone across the country and taken out all of their
fabric departments, then slowly Jelly Rolls were making their way back in
and now they are selling "Quilter's Fabric" by the yard. It is coming in
one yard packages. Then you can also purchase fabric to make yourself a
pair of jammie pants or a pair of shorts etc, - just the right amount of
fabric is there.

So what's the point of taking out the department if you're still going to
sell fabric????? What am I missing?

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

Old August 10th 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:53:40 -0500, "Cindy Schmidt"
wrote:

Maybe someone can explain this to me because I am sooooooo confused.

Ok, so Wal-mart has gone across the country and taken out all of their
fabric departments, then slowly Jelly Rolls were making their way back in
and now they are selling "Quilter's Fabric" by the yard. It is coming in
one yard packages. Then you can also purchase fabric to make yourself a
pair of jammie pants or a pair of shorts etc, - just the right amount of
fabric is there.

So what's the point of taking out the department if you're still going to
sell fabric????? What am I missing?

Paying people to *cut* the fabric....

-Irene