potholder patten

Old November 19th 05, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default potholder patten

i looking for potholder patten

Old November 19th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

There is a wonderful one for a double-thick potholder a very old lady
taught me years ago and which I have never seen published. It's very
simple: Decide how large you want the finished potholder to be, and
make a chain of single crochet the length of the diagonal you want
(corner to corner) plus a couple of extra stitches. Now, all you do is
make a single crochet into every stitch, going round and round. Do NOT
make any increases or shaping! You will note that you are making a
sort of bag. Now, the first row you made is the DIAGONAL, so keep on
going until you have enough rows to sew the potholder shut on the other
diagonal. When you have enough rows for that, cut off the yarn leaving
about 24" for the sewing up. And that's it! It sounds rather
confusing, so I suggest you try a very small sample piece, perhaps a
couple of inches for your first row. You will note that the rows of
stitches are on the diagonal. These potholders are easy (although
somewhat boring) to make, very useful for trivets, make great gifts,
and look very good in variegated yarn. They also go through the washer
and dryer. It's something you can take with you to work on in waiting
rooms -- just a ball of yarn and a hook, plus a tapestry needle for the
sewing up.

Old November 19th 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Gitte!

"gitte" wrote in message
k...
i looking for potholder patten

Old November 19th 05, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Cast on 3, knit one row plain. Start increasing at each edge on every
row until the thing is as wide on the diagonal as you want it to be,
then decrease every other row. Break yarn and run through last 3
stitches.

Knit with fat wool on big needles. Toss the finished knitting into
the wash to full it up - no accidental burned fingers.

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:44:47 +0100, "gitte" spewed
forth :

i looking for potholder patten

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old November 19th 05, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

knitted or crochet?

i looking for potholder patten

Old November 19th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hallo Gitte are you from Denemark ? mirjam

Old November 20th 05, 11:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:05:07 +0100, "gitte" wrote:

I have lots of nice crochet potholder patterns, but they're mostly in
books.

One easy one is similar to knit one Wooly posted. I usually crochet
this with a fairly heavy cotton, and hold two strands together. It has
a nice heathered look if the strands are slightly different colors.

Make a chain of about 10 and join it in a circle. Make single crochets
into the circle until it's nice and full. (This will be the loop that
you hang it with.)

First row: ch1, turn, single crochet in back loop only of sme stitch,
3 sc in back loop of next stitch, sc in back loop.

Second row: ch 1, turn, sc in back loop of first 2 sc, 3 sc in back
loop of next sc (the middle sc of the increase in the row below), sc
in back loop of next 2 sc.

Continue like this, always making 3 sc in the middle sc of each row,
and always crocheting into the back loops of the row below, until the
potholder is as big as you want. It will be square, with a row of tiny
holes along the diagonal.

Before using any yarn to make a potholder, make sure it won't burst
into flames or melt. Wool is good, some cottons are good, most
acrylics melt.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old November 20th 05, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Welcome here Gitte ,,,,
You have quite some neighbours on this ng
mirjam

Yes is are

Old November 21st 05, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

ah well that opens up the area a bit.because if you go to google and do a
search you will find tons and tons of freeware patterns for sharing
especially good for pot holders, roundones square ones. Do two and crocht
them together for thickness. here is a page load of them
http://tinyurl.com/csfvf

Cheers Cher
http://tinyurl.com/aw8pe

Old November 22nd 05, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I must admit that i rather knit or crochet one layer and than sew them
on some towel or other washable cloth ...
mirjam

ah well that opens up the area a bit.because if you go to google and do a
search you will find tons and tons of freeware patterns for sharing
especially good for pot holders, roundones square ones. Do two and crocht
them together for thickness. here is a page load of them
http://tinyurl.com/csfvf

Cheers Cher
http://tinyurl.com/aw8pe

need a cardigan knitting patten lorraine smidt Yarn 3 July 12th 05 09:34 PM
Doll face potholder Lady Greece Yarn 7 May 22nd 05 03:53 AM
potholder loops from yarn Alan Winston Yarn 43 June 2nd 04 09:38 PM
Potholder pattern M C Allen Quilting 13 September 30th 03 10:18 AM
Potholder Pattern? Nurse Ratched Quilting 5 September 24th 03 04:45 AM