Bernina 1080 Light Problem

Old October 19th 03, 05:14 PM
TerMarL

Default Bernina 1080 Light Problem

The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding the
switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the light
goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays on
all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the machine.
There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't release
the panel. Can someone help?

Old October 19th 03, 05:51 PM
dogmom

If it were me, I'd take it to the dealer, but then I am decidedly
mechanically challenged. You might try a search on Google--maybe search
groups if no one here knows the answer (altho' they know almost
everything!!)

Good luck. That must be really annoying.

Dogmom

Old October 19th 03, 06:45 PM
Ron Anderson

Just a plain old bad idea. let the dealer put in a new switch.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine

Old October 19th 03, 06:59 PM
Teresa in Colorado

I agree completely.
The switch and labor shouldn't be too expensive.
If you get into the machine, you could damage something else and some parts
are VERY expensive.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com

Old October 20th 03, 03:34 AM
TerMarL

To everyone who expressed a concern for me and the machine, it's
appreciated. However!!! I am an Elec Engr; I am not concerned about
harming the machine becuase I've tinkered with this sort of thing before;
I'm not trying to take business from my Bernina dealer/servicer. I'm in
fact responding to a suggestion from the lady who I would entrust the
machine to if I took in for service. All I want to know... is how to remove
the back panel of the machine so I can get to the light switch! Thanks.

Old October 20th 03, 12:07 PM
SewStorm

All I want to know... is how to remove
the back panel of the machine so I can get to the light switch!

I'm sure you're quite capable, but what Ron Anderson was no doubt warning you
of is that doing this yourself will invalidate the warranty on the machine.

Ask yourself this question: Is it worth doing that, just to fix this one
problem that might very well be covered by warranty, anyway?

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 20th 03, 02:53 PM
Kim E

I can solve this one!!!

You turn the switch 90 degrees clockwise to turn the machine on, 180
degrees to turn the light on.

Kim

Old October 21st 03, 11:52 AM
TerMarL

Huh? The machine power switch is rotated 90 degrees CW to turn the machine
on and (on the 1080) can't go further. The light is a seperate pushbutton
switch on the back.

om...

"TerMarL" wrote in message

The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding

the
switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the

light
goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays

on
all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the

machine.
There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't

release
the panel. Can someone help?

OT - How Many Dogs Does It Take to Change A Light Bulb? Bob and Kathleen Quilting 6 August 13th 04 10:32 PM
Compact Fluorescent for Bernina -- Where? Dorothy B Quilting 0 April 8th 04 11:38 AM
OTT LIGHT PROBLEM Lenora C Needlework 9 January 28th 04 05:36 PM
RCTN Reminder: NY gathering at Stitchery Row Nov. 1 georg Needlework 23 November 4th 03 10:32 AM