Problems with Rhodium

Old October 28th 04, 04:12 PM
Hila

(Linda Miller) wrote in message
. ..
(Hila) wrote in message
. ..
(Linda Miller) wrote in message
. ..
(Hila) wrote in message
. ..
(Linda Miller) wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

When I just started my work with white gold, I sent my work to Rhodium
plate at professionals. Lately, I have decided to purchase all the
equipment needed to do it by my self.
I have got all the information about plating with bath rhodium, and I
did all the instructions, but the results weren't so good, and
not like I used to get the jewelry from the professionals.

I'll be happy to get any useful information.

Linda.

Dear linda,
From your question,it is not clear why the plating is not the way it should be.
Please describe what item looks like,after the end of the process.
Iwill describe the process of the plating.
1.A finished iteam
2.Ultrasonic
3.Rinsing water
4.Steamer
5.Immersing in Infetung
6.Immersing in distilled water
7.Immersing in rhodium

thanks
Hila
www.pasternakfindings.com

Hello Hila,
The main problem is that there are stain on the item and the item
looks burnt.
Idid the whole rhodium process as you described it, and it still
didn't come outgood.
I would be glad to get a detailed process.

Thanks Linda

Hello Linda

1.are you using the type of solution of rhodium that you have to warm up?
2.What voltage do you use and how long do you perform the coating process?
Maybe in this way I can understand where you went wrong.

Thanks Hila

Hi Hila,

Thank you for trying to help me.

I use the type of solution of rhodium which I have to warm up.

The ratio between the solution of the rhodium to the water that I use is 90:10.
I warm the Solution in 6 voltage.
I immerse the item for 30 seconds.

Thanks,
Linda.

Hi Linda,

I would like to describe the whole process from the beginning in order
to prevent mistakes.

1. The Ultrasonic :
1.1 Immerse in water.
1.2 Steamer for removing the remainders after the Ultrasonic.
2. Immersing in the Infetung in ratio of 50gr./1000mg. of distilled
water. (infetung is material which degreases).
The Infetung bath connected to the electricity, when the optimal
voltage is 7v.
The duration of the immerse is 1.5-2minuites.
3. Immerse in distilled water with special powder (in order to remove
the grease).

Preparing the Rhodium Bath:

The ratio between the powder to the water is 10% Rhodium solution and
90% distilled water, meaning 100cc Rhodium solution per liter and
900cc distilled water.
The voltage in the Bath is 2.8v. for new solution and for used
solution 3.3v.

Be careful from higher voltage which might burn the item and make it
black.
You can examine the voltage by looking at the bubbles in the bath. The
bubbles which moves from the Cathode to the Anode should be very
small.

The duratiom of the immersing in the bath is 45 second for new
solution.

Hang the jewelry/ item on yellow gold wire or on pure cooper wire.

When the rhodium solution is used I recomend to use Replanish.

Good Luck,

Hila.
www.pasternakfindings.com