"biggie" quilt shows...do you enter?

Old April 26th 04, 01:54 AM
Ann

Default "biggie" quilt shows...do you enter?

It seems to me that Paducah is one of the biggie quilt show

Does anyone here enter their quilt? And get selected or not?
Does a chosen quilt have to be absolutely perfect to be picked for the show?
(in construction and quilting)?

I presume the competiton is fierce for getting a quilt selected.

Ann...........who thinks she would like to try........some day

Old April 26th 04, 02:17 AM
Polly Esther

I had to quit entering the "biggies". It just seemed to me that winning them
all was a bit greedy, don't you think? Polly

news5Zic.12366$i61.5715@clgrps13...

Old April 26th 04, 03:15 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article D5Zic.12366$i61.5715@clgrps13,
"Ann" wrote:

It seems to me that Paducah is one of the biggie quilt show

Does anyone here enter their quilt? And get selected or not?
Does a chosen quilt have to be absolutely perfect to be picked for the show?
(in construction and quilting)?

I presume the competiton is fierce for getting a quilt selected.

Ann...........who thinks she would like to try........some day

If memory serves....Rita has had a quilt or two in that show, or maybe
it was Houston. Anyway, she does very wonderful quilts that have been
in the big shows.

Miz Applebaum of the fabric tramps had TWO quilts at PIQF. I saw them
in person and drooled accordingly. When I grow up I want to machine
quilt like her :-)

marcella
Old April 26th 04, 03:28 AM
Kathy in CA

And just how do you enter a quilt in a show (big or small)? When/where to
you find the how-to instructions? Any hints? I might like to do that
sometime.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old April 26th 04, 03:40 AM
Julia Altshuler

For Paducah, look here and click on the PDF at "Rules & Entry form:

http://www.aqsquilt.com/contests.shtml

For Houston, go here and click appropriately on show rules or show entry
form:

http://www.quilts.com/

For others, google on as many key words as are appropriate and start
fishing around. You might try "Visions quilt show entry" and see what
you get. Try the name of any show that folks mention here.

Here's a useful list of shows:

http://www.lyrickinard.com/where_to_show_.html

I've never entered, but it was a new year's resolution this year to try.
That's going to mean getting good slides made of my quilts and
learning about shipping, insurance, entry forms, which category to enter
in, labels, all the detail work which can be an education in itself.

--Lia

Old April 26th 04, 03:43 AM
Ann

when you all were talking about going to Paducah I did a search and there
was an entry form with rules, specs, etc. You had to have pics and the
entry form in by January First prize in Paducah was $10,000 if I remember
correctly. I'll try to find the entry form / rules again. I found it quite
interesting

Ann

Old April 26th 04, 04:12 AM
Kathy

You had to have pics and the
entry form in by January First prize in Paducah was $10,000 if I remember
correctly. I

Paducah is a "juried" show, which means that you must submit an entry form and
slides of your quilt by a specific date. Since a juried show can receive
upwards of 1000 entries, yet can only hang 400 (for example) quilts, a process
of elimination must take place. The slides are reviewed, and the 400 entrants
are chosen by a jurying panel. Most juried shows are those that offer money
prizes. Incidentally, Best In Show at Paducah was $18,000.00 last I
remember...unless they have increased this award. The separate "Workmanship"
awards were $10,000.00 or $12,000.00 each. First Prize in each category was
$1500.00.

There are also "first come, first served" shows, such as the Vermont Quilt
festival. Most of these shows do not offer cash awards. They have a limit of
how many quilts they can hang, and the they will accept entries until they fill
this quota. A quilter who is apprehensive about entering a national show might
feel more comfortable trying this type of show first.

The majority of the big quilt shows have their own websites, and you can
usually find their entry forms/rules online.

As far as a person being considered "greedy" for entering all the big shows, I
feel differently. If I have created something that I can be especially proud
of, I want to share it with as many quilters as I can. If it happens to be
special enough to actually win at more than one show, good for me. There is no
feeling like it in the world!

Kathy

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"
Old April 26th 04, 01:57 PM
Diana Curtis

Not to mention that its no longer challenging. Whats the fun if you know
youre going to win? Not to mention the clutter all those blue ribbons make.
And then, having to buy all new hats...;-)
Diana

link.net...

Old April 26th 04, 01:59 PM

Kathy should know. Her work is FANtastic! I saw one in person at
Lancaster. Well done, Kathy! 8^) Nancycog in MD

Old April 26th 04, 02:04 PM
Musicmaker

There were quilts at Paducah that weren't any better than a lot of the
quilts I've seen at RCTQ meetups/show n tells. I think a lot of quilters
just assume that they can't get in and even if they could, they'd look bad
next to the competition. I don't think that's true, though. It is rather
intimidating, though, isn't it?

--
Cindy Bettinger;

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99