just thought of something...

Old November 2nd 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default just thought of something...

Hi everyone

It's almost querter to two pm here in Spàin and while I'm waiting for
the last of the patients to make an appearance, I was thinking about
my most recent ongoing project (the one I am currently working on with
the greatest enthusiasm). I have finished piecing 30 squares for a
sampler quilt. I have also sewn the sashings on to each block. And I
have cut the batting and backing squares to size: I plan to quilt each
block separately and then assemble then already quilted - no way am I
wrestling this one under the machine! So I am getting ready to do the
quilting. I am using supreme loft quilter's dream batting. As these
squares are about 14 x 14, do I need to baste before quilting? Or
would the clinginess of the batting be enough to hold the sandwich
together while I quilt each block?

Any other advice that I have overlooked?

Thanks

Claudia

Old November 2nd 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Since I'm doing the same thing and no one else has answered yet, I will.
You will have to baste by either:
1: thread
2: pin
or
3: fabric spray glue.
I'm doing number 3. I spray the layers together outside. Then I let them sit
at least 10 minutes to get rid of all the 'fumes' and then I come in and
quilt it.
Leave a goodly ONE INCH from the edge so you can sew the squares together
and then 'match' the quilting lines if that is what is needed. Less than one
inch is a bit too hard to get them to look like continuous lines.

I have found the batting is not strong enough to hold the fabrics to them
while you are quilting.

HTH
Butterfly (who just got up)

ps.com...

Old November 2nd 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Thanks Butterfly

Guess I'll have to spend some time with needle and thread before I can
get quilting!

Claudia

Old November 2nd 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I recommend pin basting for machine work -it's easy to slip the pin out
before you sew over it. Annoying to sew through basting thread. Never used
supreme loft though.

I'm also doing a quilt-as-you-go project, mainly because the backing is also
pieced and exactly the same size as the top, so no wiggle room. I did a
strip of blocks, top and back, cut a strip of batting to fit, and quilted to
within a couple inches of the edge on each side. I've just added the next
strip of blocks, attaching top and backing strips separately. Next I'll
baste in another strip of batting and continue quilting.
Roberta in D

Old November 2nd 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Butterfly (who just got up)

one wonders: to what?

Claudia, good luck!

R/Sandy--who would handquilt after basting those blocks
.......we all know B-fly is always up to something...

OT Just a thought... Sylvi Quilting 1 May 4th 06 06:35 AM
Thought you might like to see this.... MRH Yarn 23 February 22nd 06 02:29 PM
just a thought. faerydragon Needlework 49 October 13th 05 03:01 PM
OT thought for the day nana2b Quilting 8 July 24th 05 04:40 PM
Just thought I would say hi. Kim Quilting 12 June 8th 05 09:11 PM