Suggeested needed:knitting/crochet book

Old January 10th 04, 01:27 AM
Ragamuffintears

Default Suggeested needed:knitting/crochet book

This is the year I'm going to learn to knit and crochet! I can't take a class
because the closest shop is in town (25 miles from home) and after
work/weekend chores do not allow me to fit any classes in on nights or
weekends. So anybody suggest a really good teach myself to knit or crochet
book and/or video or cd? And which would you suggest learning first?

Preferably with both left and right handed instructions since I don't know
which way will be more comfortable. (I normally write and eat most comfortably
left handed; handle power tools and scissors and quilt right handed; took
fencing lessions right handed; cake decorate, stitch, and use a mouse equally
well with either hand, so it could go either way with knitting and crocheting,
I guess.)

TIA,
Connie and the little Ragamuffin
Old January 10th 04, 04:00 AM
Olwynmary

So anybody suggest a really good teach myself to knit or crochet
book and/or video or cd? And which would you suggest learning first?

First, I would suggest you plan an expedition to a large craft store (JoAnn,
Michael's, Hobby Lobby, whatever you have in your area) and spend some time
leafing through the various "Learn to......" or "I taught myself to........."
books on knit/crochet. Sometimes the ones directed at children are better than
the ones directed at grownups. Leaf through the various books, and see which
one "talks" to you. You might even find a couple of kits which come complete
with yarn and needles.

After you have had a try with one or more of these, I can strongly recommend
two books by Maggie Righetti - Crocheting in Plain English and Knitting in
Plain English. These are usually available in the "big box" bookstores and
online.

As you seem to be close to ambidextrous, I would recommend you try right-handed
instructions first, as most patterns are written for righthanders. As you want
to learn both knitting and crochet, you might find it easier to knit
Continental style, in which the yarn is also held in the left hand, just like
in crochet.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old January 10th 04, 10:29 AM
Kristy Malarkey

I to decided that I would attempt to learn to knit this year and I ordered
the My Knitting Teacher book from
http://www.jklneedles.com/html/produ...ProductID=2422

And I also ordered the complete idiots guide to knitting and crocheting.

The Knitting Teacher book comes with left and right handed directions which
is why I got it as I am left handed and when I was learning to crochet I
found it difficult to find directions for left-handed people :-)

Good luck!

Kristy

Old January 10th 04, 02:33 PM
MaryR

This is the year I'm going to learn to knit and crochet!
I can't take a class
because the closest shop is in town (25 miles from home)

and after
work/weekend chores do not allow me to fit any classes in

on nights or
weekends. So anybody suggest a really good teach myself

to knit or crochet
book and/or video or cd? And which would you suggest

learning first?

I also would go with right-handed over left as most patterns
are written that way. I also would choose to learn the
Continental method over the British/American.

Crochet involves only one needle, knitting two. Why not
learn crochet first, then knitting? You'll slide into the
Continental method of knitting very easily after doing
crochet as they're so similar.

The book I enjoy the most is "The Complete Idiot's Guide to
Knitting and Crocheting" by Gail Diven. You can see and
order it he

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Also very good is the one by Righetti, mentioned by another.
Here's the link to that one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Righetti also has a book devoted to crocheting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Have fun!

MaryR

Old January 10th 04, 05:10 PM
Karen C - California

In article ,
(Ragamuffintears) writes:

So anybody suggest a really good teach myself to knit or crochet
book and/or video or cd?

Elisabeth Zimmermann Knitting Workshop

www.patternworks.com had it last year

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 10th 04, 08:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

MaryR wrote:
I also would choose to learn the
Continental method over the British/American.

I'll just add: but don't fret if you can't "get it". I think anyone
learning to knit should give it the royal try. But dropping needle and
throwing thread is also a time-honored way of knitting for those of us
who "don't get it", and it doesn't change the result. You will be
slower, usually, but there are some fashion knitters who dispute that.
Also, in some regions of the world, they use a belt with special
supports for the needles. Have never seen that method, but heard about it.

Dianne

Old January 11th 04, 08:18 PM
Ellice

On 1/9/04 8:27 PM,"Ragamuffintears" posted:

This is the year I'm going to learn to knit and crochet! I can't take a
class
because the closest shop is in town (25 miles from home) and after
work/weekend chores do not allow me to fit any classes in on nights or
weekends. So anybody suggest a really good teach myself to knit or crochet
book and/or video or cd? And which would you suggest learning first?

I also decided this was the year I would learn to knit. Already know how to
crochet - but am habitually stunted at knitting, or have never progressed
very far in the past. Anyhow, I got a great book a couple of months ago -
the next day it was featured on some morning network show.

Called "Stitch 'n Bitch" - very well written - instructive and humorous. Has
directions for crochet, and some nice projects. It's definitely not a stodgy
book. Very encouraging, easy to follow, and all the information you need to
get started, - needles, types of yarns, lots of suggestions. Also shows the
2 methods of knitting. The author is Debbie Stoller. Here is a link on
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...073851652/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0589727-3512965?v=glance&s=books

Good luck,
Ellice

Old January 11th 04, 09:59 PM
Karen C - California

OK, OK, anybody who wants to learn to knit or crochet, either fly me to where
you are for a week, or install yourself in my guest room for a week.

Karen in California

Old January 11th 04, 11:44 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Many people learn from a combination of having good books + video ,
but if you contact any local knitting shop they probably can help you
.. if not you can always ask on line .
mirjam

Old January 12th 04, 04:15 AM
Ellice

On 1/11/04 4:59 PM,"Karen C - California" posted:

OK, OK, anybody who wants to learn to knit or crochet, either fly me to where
you are for a week, or install yourself in my guest room for a week.

Karen in California

You teaser, you!!!! next weekend we're in FLA, and I'm having to teach the
crazy aunt some Counted Thread - get her going on her sampler! But, she used
to knit beautifully - maybe I'll get her to show me something.

Hmmm, I wonder if there are enough of us in the DC area to bring you in ;^)
It's tempting to go to you - you're warmer than us right now!!!! You never
know - but Caryn says she can teach me - she doesn't know how hard that may
be - and it's only a 45 min drive.

Thanks for the offer -
ellice