Now I feel guilty.

Old October 8th 05, 02:39 PM
Patti S

Ohhhhh Phyllis...... darling!!! Do you think the people that arrived
just after you would be feeling this way had the tables been turned?
NOT! Mebbe they wanted the fabric to sort through, separate and sell for
"brazilians" of dollars on ebay! Fret not, little lamb! Enjoy your find,
do your good deeds, and know that soooo many others will enjoy the
fruits of your "find" and your labor! The Yard Sale Fairies smiled upon
YOU this particular time. No guiltith allowedith - Pshaw...........

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
=AD=ADmark twain=AD=AD

Old October 8th 05, 05:07 PM
joysjane

Phyllis,

I am trying to make an ugli quilt. The first I made I messed up on the size
and made it only 7 x 7. Anyway, while I keep reading the directions over
and over, it seems that it can't really end up being 7 x 1 1/2. That seems
awfully skinny. I looked up sleeping bags on google and found that most of
them were about 34" wide, so do you think that that last measurement should
be 7 x 3 1/2?

Anyone else make these?

Thanks,
Martha

Old October 8th 05, 06:35 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Yes, its supposed to be 7 by 3 1/2 feet; from two pieces, 7 x 7 each.
The top piece is 7 x 7 feet, the bottom piece is 7 x 7 feet, and
whatever you use for batting is supposed to be 7 x 7 feet. When you
fold it over, it is 7 x 3 1/2 feet. In the first place, the
instructions I saw had the darn thing lying sideways and that threw me
off a bit. Since I don't have the room required to make it like they
say, I'm going to have to be satisfied making the quilts.

Piece #1 is 7 x 7 (top) and piece #2 is 7 x7 (bottom). You sew one seam
which now makes the total piece 7 x 14 feet when you open it, the seam
will be the hinge.

With the pieces open to their 7 x 14 size choose one to be the top of
your quilt and choose the other piece to be the bottom.

On the bottom piece, as it it is open to its full size, place the
batting or mattress pad or blanket, or whatever. Bring the top piece
down over it to cover the bottom half and tie every 10" (I think) all
over to keep it together.

Where the seam (hinge) is will be the top. Fold the quilt in half so
the seam is still at the top. You now have 7 x 3 1/2 feet. Tie it
together every three inches around the bottom and the one side that
isn't finished (you don't have to tie the edge where the fold is).

Now turn it inside out. Oops. If you want the ties on it you're
supposed to put them in before you get finished (or put them on when
you're finished, probably doesn't matter a whole lot). Hope this makes
sense. If not, tell me and I'll try to make it clearer.

Old October 8th 05, 06:37 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Never thought of it that way. I finished one back yesterday and started
another last night. Since I'm using whole cloth for the top I just have
to get the batting in place and sew.

Patti S wrote:
Ohhhhh Phyllis...... darling!!! Do you think the people that arrived
just after you would be feeling this way had the tables been turned?
NOT! Mebbe they wanted the fabric to sort through, separate and sell for
"brazilians" of dollars on ebay! Fret not, little lamb! Enjoy your find,
do your good deeds, and know that soooo many others will enjoy the
fruits of your "find" and your labor! The Yard Sale Fairies smiled upon
YOU this particular time. No guiltith allowedith - Pshaw...........

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old October 8th 05, 06:39 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Now that I've gone through it, I've found there isn't anything I can't
use for the quilts (except maybe for one piece of canvas-type material
that I may make into grocery bags if they start taxing plastic bags in
this state). My one foray into using a mattress pad isn't going so
well. The darn thing is heavy. I'll be glad when the first one is
finished.

Roberta Zollner wrote:
No need to feel guilty at all!!! You're planning to make actual quilts out
of all this, plus you're giving them away to people who need them. For all
you know, the other couple would have put it in a stash and left it there
for years, after which their progeny would have sold it in a garage sale.
And if you really analyzed your feelings, the guilt might just come from
your extraordinary pleasure in finding quilty stuff for sale cheap! You are
a good person: most of us would just feel apallingly smug.
Roberta in D

"Phyllis Nilsson" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

This morning, at 8 a.m., I left the house and went to a garage sale that
advertised quilting fabric, but they wouldn't open until 9. I dropped
some books off at the library and went back and sat until they opened
about 5 minutes early. I was the first one in the garage and told her I'd
take all the fabric on the table plus the batting in two bags.

I don't remember which of you nice ladies first talked about making
Katrina quilts fast by using whole cloth and piecing only where needed,
but that's what I intend to do with this fabric; only for the homeless
here in town (can't afford any more postage at almost $1 a pound).

As they were totaling up what I owed, two other people arrived and wanted
to know if the fabric in front of me at the cashier table was for sale,
and I told her and him I already bought it. Now I feel terribly selfish
and feel I should have offered to share it with them, but I hadn't gone
through it, just bought all of it, so didn't know what I'd be willing to
share. It was a full table of fabric pieces and I know they're going to a
good cause (I had one back pieced and ready for sewing to the top within
an hour), but there are so few garage sales in town with quilting fabric
(this was Joanne-type, not LQS type) that now I am feeling terribly
guilty.

I have no way to get in touch with them, no time to go though everything
(I just picked up all the brown pieces, pieced them together for the back,
and only cut them enough to make their edges meet and measure 45 x 72";
will do the same with the other colors to coordinate with the fabric I
have for the tops), and feeling absolutely terrible.

Old October 8th 05, 06:51 PM
Debra

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:06:48 -0400, Phyllis Nilsson
wrote:

I just kept thinking maybe they wanted it for quilts for their grandkids
or someone in the family, and family is precious. It just makes me
realize that I'm going to have to use every bit of it. I used five
pieces from the sale and two pieces from my stash for the back, and the
top came from my stash as well on the quilt I worked on today.

I know you're right. With all this support another 24 hours probably
will have me back to normal (whatever normal is).

Please rest easy in the knowledge that it is highly unlikely that you
have taken their as yet unbegun quilts. If they really wanted the
fabric badly, they would have gotten there and asked about it at the
same time you did. But that isn't what happened, and you were the
early bird that got the worm this time. Chirp happily, Dearie.

Most of the people looking to buy stuff at yard sales usually don't
like what they find, or the price that is set, and walk away without
it. More than half the time they do not know what they are going to
do with it after they buy the stuff anyway. Only a few share their
yard sale finds with anybody.

You had a mission. You got up, and got there early. You got to the
fabric first. And now you are making quilts for people less fortunate
than yourself. You are a real winner! That's nothing to feel guilty
about.

By the way, your prize is to keep at least one fat quarter of one of
those fabrics for your own use. You earned it.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 8th 05, 08:17 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

You're probably right. I get feeling a little bad about old people,
forgetting that I am one. I can't tell you the feeling of elation that
I had upon wakening this morning knowing the first one is almost done
and the second one started.

Old October 8th 05, 08:55 PM
joysjane

Thank you Phyllis, you have cleared it all up, now if I can just make one.
I don't have the room either, but am trying to compensate. We'll see . . .
..

Martha

Old October 9th 05, 12:07 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I can see why they say to tie it instead of machine quilting it or even
sewing it together. Mattress pads, I've found, are very heavy. Maybe
if you have room to put the bottom section on a table, with the top
hanging down behind the table, after you've "instaled" the batting or
whatever, you could bring the top up from behind the table and lay it
over the bottom and "filling" to do the rest.

I really wish you the best on this, and if you manage it, I'd love to
see a picture of it.

.

Old October 9th 05, 04:56 AM
Debra

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:17:57 -0400, Phyllis Nilsson
wrote:

You're probably right. I get feeling a little bad about old people,
forgetting that I am one. I can't tell you the feeling of elation that
I had upon wakening this morning knowing the first one is almost done
and the second one started.

So I'm not the only one who forgets her own age?

Who is the lady with gray temples in my place in the photos? Giggle,
giggle! Oh, it's me! How did I get to be old enough to be a grandma?

I'm not a grandma, but at 43 I'm plenty old enough to be one. Oh
well, the only alternative to getting older isn't so good. I think
I'll keep aging and considering myself 25. 25 is such a nice number,
don't ya think?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at