Anyone know ??

Old September 21st 05, 07:59 PM
spinninglilac

Wonder if - Mother of All, - Lazy Kate, and - Maidens -feature in it
somewhere as well...lol
Back to my hackling, have three colours dark green, mauve, and dark red
Gotland Curls I'm teasing out on the hackle then I'll blend them into three
stripes on the hackle and spin for socks I think...
cher

"David Sky" wrote in message
Here is a list of words, one of which may be the answer to the
original question:

bobbin, card, distaff, spindle

David

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:

As far as I recall the second verse goes

Up and down the City Road
In and out the Eagle
That's the way the money goes
Pop goes the weasel

I always thought (don't know where I got it from, my East End Londoner

Mum
maybe) that this referred to the City Road in East London, and the Eagle

was
the pub, which was where the money went !!
Love Christine

PS just found this website with info

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a116-pop-goes-the-weasel.htm

Very interesting, just goes to show my mum knew a thing or two!!

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
There was yet another verse wasn't there, about

In and out the easel

or something......Cher

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. ..

"darinhercules" wrote in message
ups.com...
The one I heard was used, I learned as a nursery rhyme:

All around the mulberry bush,
The monkey chased the weasel,
The monkey thought is was all for fun,
PoP goes the weasel.

Allededly if you did this right, the word POP marked a yard wound.

Our song was

Half a pound of tupperny rice
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the money goes
POP goes the weasel

Old September 21st 05, 08:18 PM
Penny Gaines

Aud wrote:

[snip]
I Googled and tried to find out, because this is interesting!
We have a song in Norway, and I wondered if there was a song in English.
I am sure there is! There is an answer thet leads to a news/discussion
group;
and there is a message:

When my kids were at playgroup, they were taught a song that went:

Wind the bobbin up
Wind the bobbin up
Pull, pull, clap, clap, clap
(and repeat verse)

Point to the ceiling, point to the floor
Point to the window, point to the floor

Wind the bobbin up
Wind the bobbin up
Pull, pull, clap, clap, clap

The woman who introduced the song, said she had amalgamated several
different versions.

--
Penny Gaines

WIP: waistcoat for dh, crotchet blanket, spotted fake fur cushion cover,
6x6
After that... jumper for ds, cushion for dd,
And then ... throw for sitting room, jumper for me

Old September 21st 05, 08:48 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

That's great Els, thankyou... Now I'll copy that to the back of my weaving
work book...

Cheers....Cher

I am still looking for the fulling song and the Spinner/ weavers name who
was singing it at the "Praise of Hands Fair, some decades ago in the
Toronto Science Center. I could go on line and see if they have records
of this Fair at the Science Center. It was a huge event, all about
crafts. I have fond memories of it. I also have a set of slides of the
huge working drawing loom from China. One weaver sat behind the multe
shaft loom and the other sat a whole floor higher in the castle of this
loom and manipulated the pattern shafts from above. When the Science
Center found out that I had a set of slides they contacted me and we
exchange the slides I had done with the ones they had done. I do think
that there is only a couple of these loom still being used in China. It
is so sat to see this all disappear.

Els
Old September 21st 05, 08:54 PM
Els van Dam

In article .com,
"ILovemyDoggie." wrote:

Hang in there I will have a look, this is from the bookHomespun
handicrafts by Ella Shannon bowles 1931
Here is one Niddy Noddy, Niddy Noddy
Two heads with one body
When I'm a grown-up woman, with my hair up on my head
I'll sit and sew tell very late=A0and never go to bed.
So in the poem of Niddy Noddy, it means one stitch.
In knitting. B/c it said two heads in one body, meaning knitting, not
one head, like in crochet. Neat.
Pam-Doggirl3 =A0

A Niddy Noddy is a center piece of wood or dowel, and at each end there is
a cross peace of dowling. These two pieces sit opposite to one and
other. Now when you have spun a full bobbin on your wheel, you skein it
with your niddy noddy. It has two heads but one body, and when you use
it, it sort of nids and nods....LOL A Niddy Noddy is used for Skeining. I
have a big one, you can find in Keep me Warm One Night. Otto copied it
out of that book and each turn is 2 yards in length. I also have a
smaller one that colapses so I can take it with me to spinning meets.

Els
Old September 21st 05, 08:58 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

Wonder if - Mother of All, - Lazy Kate, and - Maidens -feature in it
somewhere as well...lol
Back to my hackling, have three colours dark green, mauve, and dark red
Gotland Curls I'm teasing out on the hackle then I'll blend them into three
stripes on the hackle and spin for socks I think...
cher

I would think so Cher. although do not forget that knitting, and spinning
and weaving was very often done by men as well. I know the shepherts,
while to walked over the moores in Holland, alwasy had knitting on the
go. They used a beautifully carved knitting stick, that was pused behind
there belt. One of the knitting needles was stuck in the end so they only
used one hand for knitting. That left one hand free for other tasks.

Els
Old September 21st 05, 09:07 PM
Ophelia

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

Wonder if - Mother of All, - Lazy Kate, and - Maidens -feature in it
somewhere as well...lol
Back to my hackling, have three colours dark green, mauve, and dark red
Gotland Curls I'm teasing out on the hackle then I'll blend them into
three
stripes on the hackle and spin for socks I think...
cher

I would think so Cher. although do not forget that knitting, and spinning
and weaving was very often done by men as well. I know the shepherts,
while to walked over the moores in Holland, alwasy had knitting on the
go. They used a beautifully carved knitting stick, that was pused behind
there belt. One of the knitting needles was stuck in the end so they only
used one hand for knitting. That left one hand free for other tasks.

The seamen in the Scottish Isles used to knit and their special patterns
denoted which island and family they were from.. in case they were found

Old September 21st 05, 09:17 PM
Ophelia

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
oohhhhh yes Eagle, not Easel Cher you dim wit...lol

here, don't you call our Cher a dim wit OK? Or else)))

Old September 21st 05, 09:50 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Now how would you know that it was Eagle and not easel if you didn't have my
mum to tell you?
Love C

wrote in message
As far as I recall the second verse goes

Up and down the City Road
In and out the Eagle
That's the way the money goes
Pop goes the weasel

I always thought (don't know where I got it from, my East End Londoner
Mum
maybe) that this referred to the City Road in East London, and the Eagle

was
the pub, which was where the money went !!
Love Christine

PS just found this website with info

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a116-pop-goes-the-weasel.htm

Very interesting, just goes to show my mum knew a thing or two!!

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
There was yet another verse wasn't there, about

In and out the easel

or something......Cher

. ..

Old September 21st 05, 10:01 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

[...]

Ophelia, the same was done by Dutch fishermen as well

How is your knee coming along.

Els
Old September 21st 05, 10:32 PM
Aud

[...]