bad etiquette?

Old January 2nd 05, 09:10 AM
spampot

Allaya Diep wrote:
Hi everyone

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

Allaya

My feeling is that once you start rationalizing knitting in church, next
thing you know you're answering your cell phone in church! (I'm not
"more experienced" but just have a gut reaction...)
Old January 2nd 05, 10:36 AM
Johanna Koski

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

I'm not a churchperson my self, I go to church maybe once-twice in a
year. I think that church is a place where you go to have quiet time and
"relaxing" (hard to find proper words, I hope I'm not misunderstood),
not to *do* something.

But that's just my point of view. There are persons who keep their
cellphones open in churches, movies, concerts etc...

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe
Old January 2nd 05, 02:16 PM
GSHEPDOG

I would also feel weird bringing my knitting to church with me. It'd
be like I was saying that I'm not interested in the sermon or the
minister was boring or something. But that's just me.

Hi:

If I am not mistaken, this thread was covered about a year ago and several
people said knitting was perfectly acceptable at their church. Actually I
worked on a crocheted Christmas stocking two weeks ago during my child's
Christmas pageant. I also let him color during the services when he is in the
santuary with us. (Protestant church in case any one is curious.) If they
would let me crochet while I was there, I would be there a lot more. If I
simply sit there and listen to the sermon, I can guarantee my mind will wander.
I haven't asked our minister his opinion. Starting this spring, I am planning
on joining the prayer shawl ministry at our church.
I will make inquiries at that time and see how people feel about it.

Just my two cents' worth.

Lee

Old January 2nd 05, 02:46 PM
Aud

"spampot" skrev i melding
Katherine wrote:
Allaya Diep wrote:

I think that it is bad etiquette, Allaya. There are places to knit
and places not to knit, and church is one of the "not" places. Just
MHO, of course.

Katherine

I'm with you, Katherine. I'd be shocked if I saw someone knitting in
church -- but then I'm shocked when I see people who bring in coloring
books to occupy their child during Mass (that's what the church
nursery is for!). I would also find it very distracting to have that
kind of motion going on near me as I was trying to focus on the
service.

It would have been very bad etiquette here!
AND speaking for myself,
(and probabely some more of my RCTY-friends!LOL!):
I am from time to time "a frenetic knitter".
IF I would take a knitting to church, it would be in those periodes;
thinking of ONE thing, HOW will it look like, will it be as i want it
too?
Will I soon get it finished)
IF I cannot "park" this obsession at home, I'd better not go to church,
I think!
AUD ;-))

Old January 2nd 05, 03:10 PM
Katherine

spampot wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Allaya Diep wrote:

[...]

When my kids were little, and now my grandkids, I bring them to the parents'
room when they get restless. I bring a bottle for Liam, but that's not quite
the same.

Katherine

Old January 2nd 05, 04:10 PM
spampot

Johanna Koski wrote:
I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

I'm not a churchperson my self, I go to church maybe once-twice in a
year. I think that church is a place where you go to have quiet time and
"relaxing" (hard to find proper words, I hope I'm not misunderstood),
not to *do* something.

But that's just my point of view. There are persons who keep their
cellphones open in churches, movies, concerts etc...

Johanna

I agree with you, Johanna. I need that time to focus on the reason I'm
in church -- like meditation. It's good mental discipline as well!
Old January 2nd 05, 06:53 PM
BonnieBlue

Actually, one of the ladies in my Fiber Arts Guild told us about a study
done that showed if the listeners were working on hand work of some
type...embroidery, knitting, crochet...they were more likely to retain the
substance of the presentation (or sermon, if you like). I think if I had
been knitting at the time when we were attending church I probably would
have gotten more out of it because I remember sitting there thinking of all
the other things I could have been doing and was not concentrating on the
lecture.

BonnieBlue

Old January 3rd 05, 12:04 AM
Penny Gaines

BonnieBlue wrote in DyWBd.4480$2_4.4273@okepread06:

Actually, one of the ladies in my Fiber Arts Guild told us about a study
done that showed if the listeners were working on hand work of some
type...embroidery, knitting, crochet...they were more likely to retain the
substance of the presentation (or sermon, if you like). I think if I had
been knitting at the time when we were attending church I probably would
have gotten more out of it because I remember sitting there thinking of
all the other things I could have been doing and was not concentrating on
the lecture.

Oh that's interesting! I wonder if it is a left-brain thing. I definitely
concentrate better in presentations and other meetings if I have paper to
take notes on (even if all I do is doodle).

I know one woman who used to knit in church-related meetings - not the
sermons, but in church council meetings. she said it helped her concentrate
on the discussions, although other people didn't like it.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 3rd 05, 12:11 AM
JJMolvik

"BonnieBlue" wrote in message
newsyWBd.4480$2_4.4273@okepread06...
[...]

I agree with you totally! I pay better attention when I am knitting than
when I'm not. I've spent a lot of time away from church because I just
"didn't feel comfortable." Knitting alleviated this for me and I am able to
sit through a service without a panic attack and leaving. As for nursery's
for kids, mine only goes through 3 years old. My children are very well
behaved, but I do bring them a pad of paper and crayons as well as a book or
two, because and hour and a half of just sitting is tedious when you don't
REALLY understand what is being said.

off my soap box now.

JJMolvik

OT - dress code etiquette Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 24 December 4th 04 01:29 AM
Guild Etiquette Sharon Gates Quilting 26 September 24th 04 02:03 PM
etiquette and large dead things bogus address Quilting 3 September 24th 04 12:39 AM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM