bad etiquette?

Old January 1st 05, 11:45 PM
Allaya Diep

Default bad etiquette?

Hi everyone

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

Allaya

Old January 2nd 05, 02:51 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:45:31 -0500, Allaya Diep wrote:

Hi everyone

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

Allaya

I wouldn't.
I have seen one person do it.... and it WAS to finish something, a
crocheted edged on a cossack for a clergyman.
Noreen
Old January 2nd 05, 03:07 AM
Seaspray

I know that I personally would feel wierd crocheting in church. I have
never seen anyone doing it in my church. But one thing I have done is
crocheted on our church bus trips! Sometimes we go down to the Little
Baker's Dinner Theatre about 2 hours away. I get a lot of work done on
those trips!
Diane
********************

Old January 2nd 05, 03:17 AM
LibraryCat513

I would also feel weird bringing my knitting to church with me. It'd
be like I was saying that I'm not interested in the sermon or the
minister was boring or something. But that's just me.

Old January 2nd 05, 03:59 AM
Katherine

Allaya Diep wrote:
Hi everyone

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in
church. Not that I know much about these things, but it was just
something I dared not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody
else doing it...knitting in church! For those of you more
experienced, is it okay to do this, or is it sorta rude? It was
around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish something up. *shrug*

I think that it is bad etiquette, Allaya. There are places to knit and
places not to knit, and church is one of the "not" places. Just MHO, of
course.

Katherine

Old January 2nd 05, 05:06 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Noreen's Knit*che
wrote:

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:45:31 -0500, Allaya Diep wrote:

Hi everyone

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

Allaya

I wouldn't.
I have seen one person do it.... and it WAS to finish something, a
crocheted edged on a cossack for a clergyman.
Noreen

Roaring with laughter....Noreen, I can't see how she would be in trouble......,

I can't see why you can't knit during a church sermon....as long as you
are respectful and listening, I would think it OK, do take in account that
I am not a church goer

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old January 2nd 05, 06:51 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:06:22 -0800, Els van Dam wrote:

Roaring with laughter....Noreen, I can't see how she would be in trouble......,

I can't see why you can't knit during a church sermon....as long as you
are respectful and listening, I would think it OK, do take in account that
I am not a church goer

Els

Els, the person I *saw* doing it was my own mother! Yes, as a kid, when I
was Catholic (I'm not now, btw), my mom was really into making the
crocheted edges on the priest's cossacks... this particular priest was a
family friend, and he admired the lace edgings on most European priests
cossacks (which were *probably* bobbinlace or tatted), so my mom took it
upon herself to crochet lace edgings for him! (Nowadays methinks *she*
thought she could buy her way into heaven, grin!)
Anyway, she DID finish one in Church!
LOL,
Noreen

Old January 2nd 05, 08:55 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I Rememberin former times , that in kieboets meetings almost all the
women knitted [ and the odd man as well] , This was the only way to
get sweaters as times were hard . You got cupons for the amount of
wool and if you hadn`t a mate you were asked to knit for one of the
single man as well. Of course all kids had knited sweaters which were
handed down as soon as one outgrew them. And you saw woman knitting in
buses , in the waiting rooms etc... it is coming back now [ of course
many of us never stopped , only moderated the places we did it !!!] .
Strangely enough when we were in the USA 20 ++ years ago i sat and
knitted several times i was told by Usa women that it was Primitive
behaviour [ i am sure many of those are now Primitivized themselves
and knit as well !!!] , I know some women who are around my age who
still think so ,, that it sort of " isn`t Done"[ i am not speaking
about Church ,and such places but waiting rooms etc]. There was a
time that even the feminist movement saw it as a form of enslaving
one`s time ,, now that we can relax some of our Feminist idea [ not
that we have all the rights] , we can expect other to understand that
this is a FREE CHOICE of us to use those minutes or hours , with doing
something we DO ENJOY , as well as it is making some essential to our
way of life ,,,
mirjam

Old January 2nd 05, 08:56 AM
spampot

Katherine wrote:
Allaya Diep wrote:

Hi everyone

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in
church. Not that I know much about these things, but it was just
something I dared not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody
else doing it...knitting in church! For those of you more
experienced, is it okay to do this, or is it sorta rude? It was
around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish something up. *shrug*

I think that it is bad etiquette, Allaya. There are places to knit and
places not to knit, and church is one of the "not" places. Just MHO, of
course.

Katherine

I'm with you, Katherine. I'd be shocked if I saw someone knitting in
church -- but then I'm shocked when I see people who bring in coloring
books to occupy their child during Mass (that's what the church nursery
is for!). I would also find it very distracting to have that kind of
motion going on near me as I was trying to focus on the service.
Old January 2nd 05, 09:06 AM
spampot

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
[...]

Noreen,

This is very interesting; I don't think I've ever seen lace edgings on a
cassock (on the white gowns worn under the fancy chasubles at Mass,
yes). Were the edgings black to match the cassocks? (Oh, and do you
remember the nuns' shawls, that were like wider versions of what we'd
call a shrug now?)

OT - dress code etiquette Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 24 December 4th 04 01:29 AM
Guild Etiquette Sharon Gates Quilting 26 September 24th 04 02:03 PM
etiquette and large dead things bogus address Quilting 3 September 24th 04 12:39 AM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM