Machines and thread question

Old September 27th 04, 02:20 AM
muse9

Default Machines and thread question

Do some machines simply not like certain thread brands? I have a 3 year old
Kenmore machine and until now I have only used Kenmore needles and Coats and
Clark thread. The more I learn about quilting the more I realize that I
should be using a better thread and maybe better needles as well. So
yesterday I bought some Schmetz Quilting needles and some Gutermann cotton
thread. (OK, I did buy that brand thread because JoAnn's had it half price
for the day) Well, thinking I was so smart I changed my needle and thread
and gave it a try. It was not good at all - the bobbin thread was too loose
and not pulling through at all. The top thread looked great but obviously
the tension needs to be right for both threads. So I tried adjusting with
the tension repeatedly and it got no better. I thought it might be the
needle so I put the Kenmore needle back in but it was still no better.
Finally I took the Gutermann thread out and re-threaded with the Coats and
Clark and it began to get a better adjustment on the tension.

Do Kenmores just hate Gutermann thread or was I doing something wrong? Is
there anyone out there that has a Kenmore that could advise me on what
thread is best to use with these machines? And how about needles? Is it OK
to use the Schmetz needles in a Kenmore or is it better to stick with
Kenmore needles? Geez. Someday I'd like to have one of those fancy new
Janome quilting machines but the affordability of that day is far away....

Thanks for any help or suggestoins.

Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

delete "removespam" to reply

Old September 27th 04, 03:12 AM
NDIrishO3

[...]

Sorry I probably won't be of much help, but I have a Kenmore that I have had
about a year, and I am having the exact same problem with it. It was fine for
awhile, but something got out of whack sometime and I can't even remember when
I first noticed it. I have tried different needles, different threads,
adjusting the tension, and nothing seems to be fixing the problem. Every once
in awhile it works fine, but the majority of the time the top looks great but
bottom of my sewing looks like a straight thread with loops holding it in,
which I know supposedly means that the tension is off, but I have tinkered with
the tension for months and it looks exactly the same no matter where the
tension is set, so I finally set it back to where it was when I first got the
machine but it's still not right. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I've had
the same problem and I'd be really interested in hearing what people have to
say and maybe I can get mine fixed too!

Jamie

Old September 27th 04, 03:21 AM
Julia Altshuler

I had tension problems with my 70s era Kenmore that I could never fix
satisfactorily despite tinkering and buying new tension gadgets. I once
put glazed thread in my Pfaff 6122 which gummed up its tension discs to
the unusable point. The repairer cleaned them out with something or
other, and I've had no trouble since. I do find, however, that I like
some threads in my machine more than others. I don't know if that's my
preference or my machine's.

--Lia

Old September 27th 04, 04:28 AM
Judie in Penfield NY

I was looking at that thread yesterday when I was at Joann's, it looked very
thick and heavy to me, maybe the problem is that the thread is too thick.

Judie

Old September 27th 04, 04:38 AM
Taria

I like Coat's and Clark threads and so do most of my machines.
There are some machines that can be finicky. When I bought
my TOL Kenmore in '77 they said use Molyneke (sp) thread. The
machine did like that but worked ok with most other threads too.
Threads of even the same brand and weight seem to sometimes react
different if they are different colors. Use what works for you.
Not sure who makes Kenmore needles but they are probably ok as most
others.
Taria

Old September 27th 04, 04:38 AM
..Mickie Swall..

Come to think of it, I was going to buy some cotton Gutermann
yesterday too, until I realized their cotton thread was intended
for hand quilting. Not sure if they make other cotton threads?
Or maybe they do and Jo-ann's doesn't carry it?
Mickie

Old September 27th 04, 04:54 AM
muse9

I didn't know that! I guess that must be the problem then if what I bought
is actually hand quilting thread. It was not labeled as such, only as
"quilting" thread and other brands seem to specify if the thread is for hand
quilting. Well leave it to me to learn the hard way! I bought several
spools that I may not be able to use - I do have the receipt so maybe I can
return or exchange it.

Thanks Mickie and everyone else that answered!
Bonnie

Old September 27th 04, 04:57 AM
muse9

I'm not familiar with the thread that you mentioned but I will look around.
I wanted to try a few other threads and see if there was any improvement in
the stitch quality. As far as needles go I need to search around a bit more
because I have not been able to find much variety in the Kenmore brand.

Thanks Taria,
Bonnie

Old September 27th 04, 04:59 AM
muse9

I tried to compare the Gutermann's thread with the Coats and Clark and I
could not tell much difference in weight but then my eyesight is not all
that good these days and the Gutermann's that I bought did not give a weight
or thread size. Apparently it is too heavy as you said though because my
machine sure did not like it.

Bonnie

Old September 27th 04, 05:03 AM
muse9

I think I have always had tension problems as long as I've been sewing or at
least in my adult years. I learned how to sew on a treadle and then a
Featherweight and never had tension troubles with those! Is it true that
with some of the newer machines you don't even have to set the tension
because it is automatic?

Bonnie