asked for web site as Christmas gift

Old November 17th 03, 12:46 PM
Susan Laity Price

Default asked for web site as Christmas gift

I just asked my sons for a gift that would not cost them money only
time. I asked that they prepare a web site for me so I can show you my
quilt pictures. Establishing a web site is something I have been going
to do for years.

They want to see some samples of other quilter sites. Does anyone have
a web site they especially like that I could show the guys? Anyone had
bad experiences with a host that I should avoid?

Susan
Old November 17th 03, 12:55 PM
Queen of Squishies

Here's one my son did for me.......

www.karentucker.com

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old November 17th 03, 01:04 PM
Diana Curtis

I dont have any help to offer, but I sure think this tops the list so far
for creative gifting. What a wonderful idea, and I can hardly wait to see
your quilts!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 17th 03, 01:31 PM
Julia in MN

Please ask them to make sure that the web site will display okay with
browsers other than Explorer. I use Netscape and it is very frustrating
for me to find something that either requires Explorer or loads very
slowly in anything else; I don't go to those websites unless I have to.

Try to avoid putting too many pictures on one page, because it takes
longer to load the page. I prefer having more pages with fewer pictures
and links from the main page to the others.

Fancy graphics, patterned backgrounds, sound, and video are all things
that make a web page load more slowly, and, in my opinion, should be
avoided. I may not bother looking at your stuff if it takes too long to
load. If you need to use them, put a link on the home page to get to the
"fancy" stuff.

Some ISPs will provide web page storage as a part of their services. For
example, I get a certain amount of storage as part of my ISP deal.

Click on the link below to see my web site -- nothing fancy. Done with
Netscape Communicator.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 17th 03, 05:03 PM
teleflora

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Oh, and I like this one, too: http://www.quilterscache.com/

Well, thanks a LOT, Kate. That ate up most of my morning!
:-)

Cindy

Old November 17th 03, 06:28 PM
Helen Howes

I make my own- it's great fun. Get them to show you how to update and
make new pages- it will be a blessing in the long run if you don't
have to keep running to them whenever you make a new quilt.
Don't use AOL or Demon as your ISP (ask me how I know...) I use
ghoulnet, which is small but efficient, and English, so probably no
use to you. Beware of "free" webspace which comes with ads or popups-
you can't control what comes up on them and they will make our site
look horrible.
For good sites you could look at the pages linked from
www.quiltart.com - there are lots to choose from

In the spirit of endless enquiry,

Helen Howes
Norfolk, England.

www.helenhowestextiles.co.uk
www.raindropkites.co.uk
Old November 17th 03, 07:37 PM
juliasb(nospam)

Of course they can always visit my web site. It is a bit larger than
most because I have unlimited space for development. Also there are
other things than just quilting available on my site... but it could
give them some ideas.
juliasb http://www.globnet.com/~flair

Susan Laity Price wrote:

I just asked my sons for a gift that would not cost them money only
time. I asked that they prepare a web site for me so I can show you my
quilt pictures. Establishing a web site is something I have been going
to do for years.

They want to see some samples of other quilter sites. Does anyone have
a web site they especially like that I could show the guys? Anyone had
bad experiences with a host that I should avoid?

Susan

--

Conductor of the Squish-mobile

....come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

http://globnet.com/~flair/

Old November 18th 03, 11:19 AM
Charlie

Mines www.lowfidelity.org.uk, but it doesn't have much on it yet, only the
basis of pages so far and the art work.

Charlie.

Old November 18th 03, 02:37 PM
Charlie

Mine is £18 ($24) for two years on nameroute.co.uk, but theres also a .com
version. It's for not alot of space, but more than enough if you know how
to compress pictures properly etc.

Charlie.

"M. Wetmore" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:46:02 -0600, Susan Laity Price
wrote:

I just asked my sons for a gift that would not cost them money only
time. I asked that they prepare a web site for me so I can show you my
quilt pictures. Establishing a web site is something I have been going
to do for years.

They want to see some samples of other quilter sites. Does anyone have
a web site they especially like that I could show the guys? Anyone had
bad experiences with a host that I should avoid?

Susan

Hi Susan:

You might want to include a domain name in the gift. Having your own
domain name is really inexpensive. Right now it's $35 a year. That
way when you move from one web hosting service to another (an
inevitibility), you won't have to change your web address. It will
always be "susanwhatsername.com".

I have my site hosted by http://ipowerweb.com/. I've been really
pleased with them and they are very reasonably priced.

If you can afford the monthly fee for a web hosting service, go that
route. Try to avoid the free hosting services like fortuncity.com.
They all screw up your pages with advertising and assault your
visitors with pop-up ads, annoying the hell out of everyone. A web
hosting service will give you plenty of web space to post your
pictures and whatever else you want to post on your site.

If you would like some "wallpaper" for your site to use as
backgrounds, look at my wallpapers at my site
http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat/. I did all the wallpapers by
scanning real wallpaper and then making background tiles out of them.
I that real wallpaper would look really nice on a personal web site.
If you like any of them, just let me know what page the wallpaper is
on and I'll send you the graphic. This offer goes for anyone on the
newsgroup.

If your sons are interested in learning about web graphics, they might
want to visit my Paint Shop Pro tutorial site at
http://www.mardiweb.com/web. You can make great web graphics and edit
photos with Paint Shop Pro. You don't need an expensive program like
Photoshop to maintain a web page.

If your sons find they need some technical advice on designing web
pages, just give them my e-mail address. I'd be happy to help. My
e-mail address is spelled out at the end of this post.

Mardi

Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot

com.

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat