Progress with the bits of purple

Old August 21st 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

Default Progress with the bits of purple

Sunny wrote:
Louise, Wow. That's just about all I can think of to say. I'm so
impressed with your hand work and with the whole idea of sewing
perfectly fitting pieces with such precision. It makes my head spin to
think of it. So, I won't. LOL. I will just look at your gorgeous work
and sigh.

Sunny

Have you thought about trying EPP? Precision and the ability to use
hand piecing fudge factor :-) Works for any shape!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old August 21st 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

Louise wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:30:53 -0800, "steve"
wrote:

All of them use the two-different-diamonds kind of tiling. There are
templates for the diamonds here.
http://www.quiltpox.davisfamilycreat...ose%20Tile.pdf

Thanks for this I've been thrying to figure out how to draw templates
either by hand or PC and do so accurately. With this I should be
able to scale the templates to the size I want :-)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old August 21st 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I'm very impressed with this, looks wonderful! These things do tend to grow.
You could simply applique the final piece to a large piece of purple (and
trim out the back so it remains one layer if you like).
I've used circular pieces for center medallions. One became a table mat for
a small round table. To hang, you could add a "sleeve" in the form of a
pocket that covers the top half of the quilt, and cut a piece if thick
cardboard to fit. Then add appropriate hangers depending on how you plan to
attach it to the wall.
Roberta in D

"Louise" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
So I've spent most of the summer away from my sewing machine, first
living in a university residence with teenagers for a summer program
and then on vacation. I've been using my crafting time cutting and
hand-piecing bits of purple (including some wonderful fabrics I got in
the mail from some of you!) into a Penrose-tiling pattern. The trick
of this pattern is that it has five-fold symmetry outwards from the
centre star, but it doesn't repeat at all.

I'm enjoying the hand piecing a lot more than I expected to. Once I
got into the rhythm of how long it takes, it's fun and relaxing. And
it's handy to be able to squeeze and fudge a bit when coming up to a
point where five, six, or seven pieces meet. I can do it at a
campground picnic table, on a bus, or when riding in the car.

The first photos at this link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picturesfromlouise/
show my progress so far. I took most of them while I was camping, and
it hadn't been pressed yet. It looks better pressed.

One interesting thing - I made a mistake in the pattern, and
documented it before ripping part out and fixing it. For the pattern
to work mathematically, there can't be two "parallel" identical pieces
touching each other. Can you see the mistake in the close-up shot?

Also, those of you who sent me purple squishy packages, can you
recognize the fabrics you sent me?

I'm not sure how much farther I'll continue, or what I'll do with it
afterwards. I'll probably finish with a set of pattern pieces all in
one dark purple fabric, then trim them. But after all that five-fold
symmetry, I kind of hate to make it square on the outside. Maybe I
could make a five-sided wall hanging, with some kind of stiffeners on
three sides? Or maybe make it circular, with bias binding and no
borders and one of those springy rods that people use for curtain rods
in a semicircular window? Any suggestions?

Louise, in Kingston Ontario

Old August 21st 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

That is certainly something to be proud of, I really like it. I don't have
any ideas about the finishing though. Just that I agree, you wouldn't want
it to be square.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 21st 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:24:06 -0700, "Pati C."
wrote:

Lovely. Isn't piecing by hand fun? BG
Actually if you use a fairly "stiff" batting, like Warm and
Natural/White, a multi sided wall hanging will hang fine with a sleeve
across the top. If you go to the Hoffman Challenge and look at my quilt
( second place, pieced) you can see what I mean.

That's so neat! I love the concept, stretching blocks into a diamond
shape.

No additional
whatever, just a sleeve across one of the straight sides. (I don't have
a picture of the quilt of my own. Forgot to take one before I mailed it
in, so the only picture I "have" is on the Challenge site. sigh. It will
be coming home in a couple of months, then I will get a pic up on my
webshots.BG)

So, go ahead and make a five sided quilt of it. If you don't mind
hanging it from one side.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks!

Louise, in Kingston Ontario
Old August 21st 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

wrote:

All of them use the two-different-diamonds kind of tiling. There are
templates for the diamonds here.
http://www.quiltpox.davisfamilycreat...ose%20Tile.pdf

Thanks for this I've been thrying to figure out how to draw templates
either by hand or PC and do so accurately. With this I should be
able to scale the templates to the size I want :-)

I actually just drew them, using a protractor and drawing tools and a
mechanical pencil. I hate tracing things. I experimented first with
drawing and cutting out cardstock, to see if I was precise enough to
have them fit together and to figure out what size I wanted. Then
(after some very valuable consultation on the newsgroup) I ended up
using an old rotary cutter to cut the templates out of plastic.

Louise, in Kingston Ontario
Old August 21st 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

wrote:

Lovely. Isn't piecing by hand fun? BG
Actually if you use a fairly "stiff" batting, like Warm and
Natural/White, a multi sided wall hanging will hang fine with a sleeve
across the top. If you go to the Hoffman Challenge and look at my quilt
( second place, pieced) you can see what I mean.

That's so neat! I love the concept, stretching blocks into a diamond
shape.

Thank you..... I have fun with the diamonds. Still working on my quilted
diamonds from Linda Franz's books. G

Pati,in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 21st 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

The colors are lovely and I like the way my eyes go 'in and out' with the
values !!
Are you following a quilt pattern?...I was wondering how you will finish it
off . Very
interesting quilt . Mary in VT

Old August 23rd 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

On Aug 20, 4:30 pm, Louise wrote:
[...]

http://patchpieces.com/penrosetile.html
Check this out how to draw in EQ5!!! there are severalideas you have
to look around.....
mauvice in central WI