Hi rctq, I'm desperate for help in salvaging this quilt (really, really long)

Old November 20th 04, 07:32 PM
Meghan

Default Hi rctq, I'm desperate for help in salvaging this quilt (really, really long)

And I mean desperate - I burst into tears over this last night. I need expert
advice and I know there's no better group of experts than rctq!

Here's the story. I'm sorry it's so long but maybe you'll understand what I've
gone through so far. If you read all the way through you're a hero,
nevermind if you can help me or not. I think I need some quilting shoulders to
cry on too and I don't have anyone else I can spill this to who will
understand. It feels like there isn't a mistake I haven't made on this yet.

About a year ago I finished picking out the fabric for my daughter's quilt. I
made her older brother a really great quilt when he was a toddler and it was
her turn to have a "special" quilt of her own. I really loved the fabrics;
they're beautiful and just seemed to suit her personality. I've only made six
quilts before this one, in the 3.5 years since I started to quilt.

I finally pieced the top together last July, right before a cross-country
move. I pressed all the seams to one side so it would be more durable, used
Warm & Natural in the middle, and sandwiched it together using spray adhesive.
I didn't have time to actually quilt it so I got the hare-brained idea of
hand-quilting it on the week-long drive from Seattle to Boston. I marked a
motif on each 8" block using kids' water-soluble marker.

Well, I never touched it during the trip but I did start hand-quilting it once
we got here and realized what a mistake that was, because the seams are
pressed to one side and W&N isn't very easy to needle. The thing is, the
patchwork is all squares of different sizes but the fabric is very swirly and
it kind of demanded curved quilting, which I couldn't do by machine. The only
way for me to do that kind of quilting would be by hand and I kept going. I
had already cheated by using only squares when I made the top, because I
wanted to finish it before the move, so I didn't want to blow the quilting
too. There was a period of about two months where I couldn't touch it at all
and then I started again a couple of weeks ago.

The only problem was time. It was taking FOREVER. I have three kids and am
going back to work full-time soon. I kept at it, but after only 4 blocks
completed, with the sashing and borders still staring at me tauntingly, I
realized this wasn't going to work out. And the spray adhesive was over 3
months old now and after so much handling it was starting to lose its bond. I
just wanted it DONE, but I still wanted the motifs to be quilted instead of
having to give up and stitch in the ditch.

So I spent another week between my two sewing machines trying to get
free-motion quilting working. I had to give up on one of them because I don't
have a darning foot for it (it's an old top-clamping rotary), and then gave up
on the other because it works fine until you try to quilt from right to left
and the tension gets screwed up. Combine the fact that I'm a complete
free-motion novice and these were big, curvy motifs and I was sunk. All my
free time during the day was spent trying to get the free-motion quilting to
work, and at night, I'd keep hand-quilting the quilt because I didn't want to
lose too much time on it just in case.

I finally made the very tough decision to pick out the hand-quilting I'd done
so far and just machine quilt it by stitching in the ditch. I was so
disappointed though because the quilt "told" me that it needed something
different and I just wasn't capable of it.

I started to machine quilt it last night and found the adhesive had lost too
much of its bond and the fabric was so stretched from handling and being
hooped that it was puckering and bunching really badly. I picked out all of
those stitches and used the last of my tacks to try to baste it together even
though it would be kind of warped. I was going to try to press it flat but was
too afraid that the heat would permanently set the marker I marked the motifs
with.

Then I started to quilt again (stitching in the ditch along the sashing) and
despite the tack basting, it was still shirring and puckering. I was so
frustrated I decided to hell with it, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, and kept
going even though all my instincts said "STOP!!" It was bad, but I thought I
could live with it until I rotated the quilt and started quilting the sashing
the long way. After a couple of rows I stopped, took the quilt out, looked at
it, dropped it on the floor, headed to the couch, and bawled my eyes out. It
was AWFUL. It was really obvious on the back especially.

I don't want to give up. I really love the fabrics and I've invested such an
incredible amount of time on this already. We are pretty much destitute right
now so buying the materials for a new quilt or sending it out to be quilted
are out of the question. Okay, now I'm going to start crying again. This is
just so frustrating and disappointing, and the quilt really means a lot to me.
I really wanted to make something special for my daughter and this is just a
mess, all starting with my poor planning.

So here's my plan for salvaging this disaster. Please, any suggestions or
advice would be really appreciated, especially if you think something's not
going to work.

I'm going to remove the rest of the machine stitching (I was up until almost
3am last night doing this already) and all of the tacks that are basting it
together. I'm going to soak the top and backing in the bathtub in cold water
and try to get all of the marker out of the top, and use a bit of soap if it's
not all coming out. When they're rinsed, I'll lay them out flat on my dining
room table on towels and let them air dry, then press them and try to block
the top straight again, then start over. I hope I can reverse some of the
stretching that's occurred.

I know this was really long, so thanks if you read this far. I needed a
shoulder as much as I need advice!

-Meghan
Old November 20th 04, 08:03 PM
NanaV

Oh - you poor thing!! I can see where you would not only be frustrated but
SO upset. I think your idea for salvaging sounds fine. I do have to ask
though - did you wash the fabric before you pieced the quilt? If you didn't
the colors might run so make sure you use one of those nifty products to
help with that (I believe they are called color magnets but someone here can
give you the name of a good one.).

Good luck

Nana

Old November 20th 04, 08:08 PM
Jessamy

all I can say is that if this was me making this "mess" I would have tossed
it in a corner regardless

I think *you* are the HERO!!

the water will (should) pull the threads back in place so I'll cross
everything that you continue to have the guts to keep on going - but now
please listen to yourself sooner - you know when it's going right or wrong!

((((huggs))))

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

And I mean desperate - I burst into tears over this last night. I need

expert
advice and I know there's no better group of experts than rctq!

Here's the story. I'm sorry it's so long but maybe you'll understand what

I've
gone through so far.

gentle snip

Old November 20th 04, 08:14 PM

Meghan, Meghan, I feel for you. BTDT! Your final sentences sounded like
you calmed down, and realized you cannot quilt a lumpy, distorted quilt.
Take a hot bath, a warm, comforting drink, and work on the fabric 10-15
minutes at a time. Baste or pin densely (I know, it takes too much
time!) , then quilt by hand or SM. Take your time with this, too.
Rushing only leads to disaster. Good luck, and come back for some
cheerleading if you need it. 8^) Nancycog in MD

Old November 20th 04, 08:56 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Phew! I am tired too after reading that. I think you are very brave to
continue and make this quilt right!

I have used those markers before and for me I've always had to use soap
to get the marks out. So, don't panic if you need more than water to
get it out. It will come out eventually!

Keep us posted.

marcella
Old November 20th 04, 10:19 PM
Patti

Hullo Meghan
What a disappointing happening for you. I applaud you for all the
unpicking you are doing and your determination to get it right.

Just one thing which I hope might help. You mention 'washing' the
quilt, letting it dry and then blocking it. May I suggest that, when
you have soaked it and got the marking pen marks out, that you block it
at that stage, rather than letting it dry. You would have to dampen it
again to block it anyway I think?
I'm sure there are others with more experience than I at blocking a
quilt to re-shape it.
Good luck - you will be so proud of yourself when it turns out
beautifully in the end.
..
In article ,
lid writes
And I mean desperate - I burst into tears over this last night. I need expert
advice and I know there's no better group of experts than rctq!

snipped
I'm going to remove the rest of the machine stitching (I was up until almost
3am last night doing this already) and all of the tacks that are basting it
together. I'm going to soak the top and backing in the bathtub in cold water
and try to get all of the marker out of the top, and use a bit of soap if it's
not all coming out. When they're rinsed, I'll lay them out flat on my dining
room table on towels and let them air dry, then press them and try to block
the top straight again, then start over. I hope I can reverse some of the
stretching that's occurred.

I know this was really long, so thanks if you read this far. I needed a
shoulder as much as I need advice!

-Meghan

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Pauline O'Connell

My only advise is that it seems that you are putting pressure on yourself to
have this quilt completed by a particular deadline. I would try removing
that time pressure, so that when you are able to work on it, you'll be more
relaxed about working on it. If you are going to try to complete it by
handquilting, what about replacing the batting & using a better bat for hand
quilting? You can always put the original batting in another quilt.

Good luck with your project - your daughter is only 3 1/2 - she's not going
to be upset if it's not done by Xmas or whenever you had hoped to complete
it. She'll be overjoyed to have it when it's ready for her! (And she
won't notice anything that isn't perfect either)

Pauline

Old November 20th 04, 11:22 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Meghan,

First, let me congratulate you on not giving up on this quilt! I really
admire anyone who keeps on trying.

I suggest that when you are pressing your quilt top and backing you use
plenty of spray starch to keep it from stretching again. I had a terrible
time with a quilt I made for my daughter, my first quilt...and she wanted
le Moyne stars. I got a lot of encouragement from this group and I did
finish the quilt. I used lots of spray starch to keep those stars and
blocks from stretching and also to square up my blocks.

Do you plan to use the spray adhesive again? It's possible that maybe you
sprayed so lightly that it didn't hold well enough. I have had at least
one quilt that I sprayed so heavily that it was fairly stiff in places but
it washed out and was no problem after it was quilted.

I really do love the Warm & Natural, I've used a couple of others but
always come back to the W & N. Although the quilt I am currently working
on has a Matilda's Own wool batting because it's for my older daughter who
lives in South Lake Tahoe CA where they do have winters, long, cold
winters.

Let us know how things are working out for you, we'll be cheering for your
success!

Judie in Penfield, NY (formerly of South Lake Tahoe, CA)

Old November 20th 04, 11:37 PM
Meghan

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:22:52 GMT, Judie in Penfield NY
wrote:

First, let me congratulate you on not giving up on this quilt! I really
admire anyone who keeps on trying.

I'm just wondering if I don't know better than to call it quits.

I suggest that when you are pressing your quilt top and backing you use
plenty of spray starch to keep it from stretching again.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Do you plan to use the spray adhesive again? It's possible that maybe you
sprayed so lightly that it didn't hold well enough. I have had at least
one quilt that I sprayed so heavily that it was fairly stiff in places but
it washed out and was no problem after it was quilted.

I'm not sure yet. I probably did spray it too lightly - I didn't have much
left in the can and was trying to make it last. I'll have to see if I can
afford to buy another can - we're just pretty tight right now on money, and
thread basting, while a pain, would be free. I would like to use the spray
if possible; I only did one quilt with it before but I really liked it.

I really do love the Warm & Natural, I've used a couple of others but
always come back to the W & N.

I've only used W&N and a low-loft polyester. I would love to try wool some
time! I enjoy the freedom of being able to quilt so far apart with W&N.

I'm considering using two layers of it though, since I have to take this quilt
apart anyway. I think this one might want to be a little thicker than the
other quilts I've made.

Thanks for the advice!

-Meghan
Old November 20th 04, 11:42 PM
Meghan

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:20:06 GMT, "Pauline O'Connell"
wrote:

My only advise is that it seems that you are putting pressure on yourself to
have this quilt completed by a particular deadline. I would try removing
that time pressure, so that when you are able to work on it, you'll be more
relaxed about working on it.

I was kind of hoping to have it done by Chanukkah, but that's out of the
question now. And it feels like an albatross. I don't "let" myself have
more than one quilt at a time, because I know I'll wind up with UFOs
everywhere. So I'm anxious to just get this finished and move on to other
projects too.

She'll be overjoyed to have it when it's ready for her! (And she
won't notice anything that isn't perfect either)

I know she won't. I'm not insisting on perfection, I just don't want it to
be as shoddy as it was turning out to be!

-Meghan