cake stand

Old September 20th 05, 02:32 PM
Red Deer

Default cake stand

Hello Everyone,
I threw a tall pedestal all the way down to the bat and I threw a 12
inch plate form and they both turned out great but when I attatched the
pedestal to the plate it looks like it bows up in the middle of the
plate like if you put a marble in the exact middle of the plate it
would roll to the edge of the plate. What did I do wrong?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Sandi

Old September 20th 05, 03:00 PM
dkat

Could you have attached the plate to the pedestal too soon and it sagged?
If that is not the case then when you were throwing, that is how you pulled
out the floor which is actually really easy to do. Did you take a very wide
rib and go over the floor once you pulled it out?

oups.com...

Old September 20th 05, 03:55 PM
dkat

I just now read on clayart how someone had a problem with a plate they threw
with a new clay which is just what you described. They swear that the plate
was flat before drying but after was 1/8th of an inch higher in the center.
They are trying to decide if it is an issue of it drying unevenly. It is
nothing I have ever seen but one more piece of info to add to the mix.

news

Old September 20th 05, 03:59 PM

i expect flat-ish pieces to continue to sag even via the fire. it's a
little dicy, but i compensate (or swag) shapes with an expectation of
this sag after firing. sometimes i nail it. sometimes i get bowlish
pieces. sometimes i get DEAD flat pieces which are actually worthless
to me. ones that go too far turn into something else...

one way i was told to make goblet style pieces is to throw the stem
attached to the leather hard bowl (or cup). for me it insures a
straighter stem & an oportunity to refine the shape to suit that
overall piece.

see ya

steve

Old September 20th 05, 05:15 PM
Red Deer

Thanks to all who answered my querry. The plate was very flat when I
threw it and it dried very flat. Perhaps I did attatch the pedestal too
soon. And no matter which way you set it to dry, the center of the
plate has a weight stress on it, right side up or upside down.
Sandi

Old September 20th 05, 09:06 PM
dkat

If this was flat when it dried then I agree with Steve. Broad, flat things
sag in the firings. I have had large pieces that even come through the
bisque the shape I want and then sag with the glaze. I know those who fire
with supports under the piece even when it is the glaze firing when the
piece is very wide. Good luck on getting what you want. Donna

ups.com...

Old September 21st 05, 01:49 AM
CNB

I have one just like what you described. I think that if I had thrown my
base wider at the top (where it sticks to the plate) it would have supported
the plate better. You could try drying it with less stress if you dry it
upside down but on top of something round so that the rim overhangs and is
not touching anything.
Good luck,
Crystal

oups.com...

OT Chocolate Volcanos NanaV Quilting 8 October 29th 04 11:40 PM
Lap stand for Q snaps or hoops? Katherine Hutter Needlework 3 October 7th 04 11:53 PM
Easy cake recipe SlinkyToy Yarn 1 October 21st 03 06:56 PM
The new stand - DH is wonderful John Quinn Needlework 1 September 12th 03 04:44 PM
Rum Cake Katherine Burgess Yarn 9 August 14th 03 04:23 AM