About ourselves

Old May 16th 05, 12:04 AM
Bubbles

"Brad Sondahl" wrote in message

http://sondahl.com

I am still browsing around your site - wow! Very good! I have a couple of
questions already, though, so I will post them and my own intro.

You apprenticed under a potter trained in Norway (of all places!). Can you
tell me a bit about what is unique or special with Norwegian techniques?

You write that you are mixing your clay by foot - like stomping grapes, you
mean? Sounds like squishy fun!

See ya!

Marianne

Old May 16th 05, 12:27 AM
Bubbles

"Stephanie Coleman" wrote in message

I have a web site www.fishstixonline.com that is under renovation, but you
can see some stuff.

Hi Stephanie!

First of all, congratulations on your placement! That is so cool!

Secondly, I have had a browse of the stuff on your site, and I really like
your expression and colors!

I hope you don't mind that I saved a copy of your face-vases to my
"inspirations" folder!

Marianne

Old May 16th 05, 12:36 AM
Bubbles

wrote in message
oups.com...
well i live in claremont, california usa - seems to be a lot of potters
around here! my website (posted from someone i never me except on
line) is

http://www.dataflo.net/~mpurintun/sg_pottery_mugs.htm

Hi Steve!

Nice site you have!

I took the liberty of copying a pic of your cheminies and your textured
vessels
http://www.dataflo.net/~mpurintun/st...0greenware.JPG
to my inspirations folder.

I get how you make the cheminies, but how do you get that texture???

And how did you get that fantastic effect on the blue glaze at
http://www.dataflo.net/~mpurintun/st...ic%20bowls.JPG ???

And that kiln of your's is a BEAUTY!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Marianne

Old May 16th 05, 12:39 AM
Bubbles

Well - here I am!

I joined the group about a year ago.

I am Norwegian, but I have also lived in Canada (Vancouver Island),
Australia and Bahrain (Middle East) and am now soon starting my 5th year in
Switzerland.

I have only been working with clay for 3 years, although I did try to drop
French class in my last year of high school and do pottery instead - but my
dad was of a different opinion ;-)

I finally managed to get me a wheel last year, though I had to have it out
on the terrace, so the wheel-season wasn't very long. We have recently
bought and refurbished a house here, and I now have my own pottery room. I
still need a few more shelves and some better lighting, so after my trip to
Norway soon, and our Canadian guests, I hope to seriously get back to my
wheel again.

I look after my friend's daughter when she is working, which is in normal
times about one afternoon a week - and then I get to borrow her at other
times. We have fun making things together and I show her how to do things.
She also had a go on my wheel (with me sitting behind her and guiding her
hands) last year, and probably will again soon. She will be 8 at the end of
June. I love to do pottery with kids, as they have such original ideas and
expressions and just love being creative and seeing things take shape
between their fingers - kinda like me! I will never be a real grown-up!
Haha!

Other than that, I am in my mid-40's, hubby, no kids, 2 older cats, house,
cabriolet (4-seater, so I can drive my guests around) and am more and more
enjoying making delicious, healthy food. Anyone who enjoys cooking can check
out my best discovery here www.recipezaar.com

Oh yeah - languages: Norwegian and English mother tongue.
Swiss-German/High-German pretty good but by far perfect.

I would love to get in touch with other potters in Switzerland or nearby
across the borders.

Oh yeah - I have a homepage, but there's no pottery on there, because it
really hasn't been updated much since 1998. www.geocities.com/nortank

Marianne

Old May 16th 05, 04:42 AM
Lori

Hi Everyone!

Freeport, Illinois, USA is where I call home - just a short distance
from the famed Galena Pottery area - and am more of a lurker than a
poster, but I do have my moments.....

I'm not a full-time potter - I hold a full-time job in the
administrative offices at the our community college. I do, however,
manage to work part-time as the chief gofer/technician/kiln
mistress/tutor/researcher and assist in the ceramics department. It's
strictly volunteer and as we have a very small department, my hours are
adjusted to accomodate the need for me elsewhere on campus at odd
times. (It's so nice to be needed.) lol

I teach children's classes (ages 8-12) for our Community Education
department one night a week a few weeks a semester, and will be one of
the two presenters this fall when we finally are able to offer our new
workshops. (Thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice on that
request.)

My studio at home is where I can be found in the wee hours of the
morning or late at night when I need to "decompress" - my daughter and
her husband call it "thestudiothatusedtobeagarage" - always with a
silly grin because of what it took to make it become a reality. I
don't have a website, but I do have a small gallery where you can see
some of my kids' work from last fall.

I'm a wheel-worker - not real fond of handbuilding, although I can
pretty much hold my own when I need to. I'm also a beadworker, still
enjoy sewing once in a while, do a little knitting in the winter, am a
fairly proficient cook/baker and like puttering in the garden and yard
if/when time permits.

If any of you have had a chance to check out the Naked Raku group on
Yahoo!, chances are, you've run into me along the way, whether you
realized it or not - I'm one of the co-moderators for the group.

I, too, started in clay as a way to reduce stress and because I had
always had this unexplainable urge to get my hands into it. Before I
started having problems with my eyesight, I would use sewing or
beadworking as my channeling device for negatives - clay has taken
their place and I can't imagine being without it.

And, like Steven, I'm a maker - of things - always have been and always
will be.

Take care all,

Lori

Life is a work of art,
Created by the one who lives it.

Old May 16th 05, 03:51 PM
Brad Sondahl

Bubbles wrote:
"Brad Sondahl" wrote in message

http://sondahl.com

I am still browsing around your site - wow! Very good! I have a couple of
questions already, though, so I will post them and my own intro.

You apprenticed under a potter trained in Norway (of all places!). Can you
tell me a bit about what is unique or special with Norwegian techniques?

You write that you are mixing your clay by foot - like stomping grapes, you
mean? Sounds like squishy fun!

See ya!

Marianne

To be honest, he did train in Norway, but not as intensively as the one
who worked 7 days per week for a year in a folk pottery in Japan, and
had much less to offer in experience and decoration.

I have mixed clay stomping around like grapes in a horse trough--it was
very hard work and I only did it for a year or so--in the end, each pug
of clay also needed hand wedging, so it was a real aerobic workout.
Although I wore a mask, I think it likely I breathed more dust than is
good for one. I don't recommend it--I just did it...
Brad

--
For my pottery how-to videos, original art, music, pottery, and
literature, visit my homepage

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.

Old May 16th 05, 11:02 PM
J and K

dkat,
It helps if I spell it right the first time (good first impression lol) . It
is a Noborigama kiln. It is two chamber wood fired kiln. It was a
wonderful experience that inspired me to (Wishing) build my own one day. I
just need the land. Here is the link to the studio I fired at:

http://www.studiosalespottery.com/

"dkat" wrote in message
If I were not so lazy, I would go hunting but... what is aborigama (and
actually I would rather hear it from you in any case)?
"J and K" wrote in message
news
I have been reading this newsgroup for years. I am a high school drawing
and ceramics teacher in upstate New York and have been active in ceramics
for about seven years. Most of my work is one of kind functional wheel
thrown pieces but recently have been doing quite a bit of figural

sculpture.
I don't have a web site yet, but plan on one someday. I am currently

trying
to set up my own studio (in the basement) but the rest of the house
renovations seem to consume my weekends. I am constantly trying to
accumulate new ideas and techniques and this past year took part in my

first
aborigama firing. I recently built a raku kiln and can't wait to fire it
(
saving up for the burners). Well that's me and I just wanted to thank the
group for all the great info and inspiration.
John

Old May 17th 05, 12:01 AM
dkat

Thank you, that was a treat. If only I could convince the neighbors that
having flames leaping in the back yard at night were not a threat.

I started out doing reduction firing and wood firing is still my favorite of
all firing types but I am learning to like oxidation firing.

Donna

Old May 17th 05, 12:15 AM
Stephanie Coleman

not at all...I save inspiration photos all the time - i take it as a
compliment!

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online