Designing Aran Sweaters

Old July 10th 03, 11:48 PM
Allaya Diep

Default Designing Aran Sweaters

Hi Group!

Can anybody recommend some good books of stitch libraries or anything
relevant if I wanted to design my own Aran sweater? I went to Amazon and
came up with a couple:

"220 Aran Stitches and Patterns - Volume 5 (Harmony Guides)"; and

"Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys, and Arans; Fishermen's Sweaters from the
British Isles"

Are either of these books any good? Are there others I should know about?

Thanks!

Allaya

Old July 10th 03, 11:51 PM
SlinkyToy

You definitely want the Gladys Thompson, the FIRST edition if you can lay
hands on it.

Also, EZ's Almanac's January (or maybe February) project is an Aran sweater.
Good basic design advice (how to divide up the circumference and how to
separate the patterns).

Old July 11th 03, 12:00 AM
spampot

Allaya Diep wrote:
Hi Group!

Can anybody recommend some good books of stitch libraries or anything
relevant if I wanted to design my own Aran sweater? I went to Amazon and
came up with a couple:

"220 Aran Stitches and Patterns - Volume 5 (Harmony Guides)"; and

"Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys, and Arans; Fishermen's Sweaters from the
British Isles"

Are either of these books any good? Are there others I should know about?

Thanks!

Allaya

Shelagh Hollingworth's "The Complete Book of Traditional Aran Knitting,"
complete with chapters on designing your own, has been on my bookshelf
for several years...not that I've tried it! But the instructions and
the patterns certainly look good.