Need tumbling

Old July 8th 03, 06:03 AM
Tante Lina

Karen_AZ wrote in message ...
What I can't believe is the price of stainless steel shot!

I was talking to some really nice folks at the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral show
this weekend, and they recommended crushed walnut hulls instead. Showed me
pieces done with both the walnuts and SS shot, and I couldn't tell the
difference.

When I worked in a production shop, we used walnut hulls, but I would not
say they gave the bright finish that steel shot does. We had to do
considerable buffing to get them shiny. I was surprised at class to see
they came out of the steel shot bright enough you can just polish them.
Maybe that was the burnishing compound the instructor used.

* TL *

Old July 8th 03, 06:24 AM
Dr. Sooz

Oh yeah. That, too. :-)

when I read the subject line I thought... hey,
I need a tumble too! Time to let husby know eh?

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 8th 03, 06:26 AM
Dr. Sooz

Oh yeah! Boy do I love doing PMC. It is so, *so* amazing.

Actually I've been wanting to start a thread on PMC.

I think I'll do that now.

Tina

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 8th 03, 06:29 AM
Dr. Sooz

You are all sweeties. I already arranged to have it done before any of you
responded (someone emailed me). I thank each and every one of you. Wait til
you see the stuff I made! Especially in my "PMC tubes" class last week......I
can't wait to get those pieces back from the kiln, which belongs to the teacher
(who fired 'em for us). I will take pictures. I'm so excited, I'm so excited,
I'm so excited!
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 8th 03, 06:45 AM
Dr. Sooz

Precious Metal Clay. When you fire it, the "clay" part burns up and you're
left with fine silver.

It *rocks*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 8th 03, 07:18 AM
Dr. Sooz

Precious metal clay (you will KLUNK):

Sperling, Barbara: Beadunique
http://www.beadunique.com/default.htm

Valentine, Shahasp
http://www.precieux.com/
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 8th 03, 01:42 PM
Karen_AZ

It takes about a week to tumble with the walnut hulls.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old July 8th 03, 03:26 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

If you are doing wire work do not use walnut shells unless you want to pick
and pick! Walnut hulls also will not work harden the wire.
Susan W
"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
You can get a ver nice SMALL tumbler at Harbor Freight for about $30 (I
think, it might have been less). It's not as fast as some of the fancier
ones, but it gets the job done. All you need is tumbling media (steel shot
or walnut hulls) from Rio Grande.

Old July 8th 03, 04:16 PM
Tante Lina

Karen_AZ wrote in message 9%yOa.147220$Dr3.134385@fed1read02...
It takes about a week to tumble with the walnut hulls.

Thanks Karen. - TL

Old July 8th 03, 04:16 PM
Tante Lina

Steve & Susan Wright wrote in message ...
Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5 pounds
is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler.

Hi Susan,

How much does IJS want for their stainless steel shot? Rio wants 20.00 a
lb.

* TL *