For Sale: doll house. - dollh003.jpg (0/1)

Old February 25th 04, 10:59 PM
thebest

Default For Sale: doll house. - dollh003.jpg (0/1)

Large 3 story victorian doll house
furnished with minatures $950/obo.
Small cottage doll house with
minatures. $350/obo. Phone(408) 281-8049

or email:

Old February 27th 04, 11:21 AM
havana bill & holly

People who are interested in making a buck aren't interested in ng rules!
"Millie wrote
Naughty, Naughty!

Old February 28th 04, 03:06 AM
Millie

(Cathy Weeks) wrote in message . com...
(Millie) wrote in message . com...
(thebest) wrote in message ...
Large 3 story victorian doll house
furnished with minatures $950/obo.
Small cottage doll house with
minatures. $350/obo. Phone(408) 281-8049

or email:

Naughty, Naughty!

Millie
It's the best practice to ignore posts like this. I know you are
probably feeling irritated because someone got on your case.

I am not feeling irritated, I find it funny, first You guys say to
keep it in the forum, not email off-forum, now you say to ignore. I
obey laws, not silly little rules that aren't even rules, you practice
what you want, if I want to say, Naughty, Naughty! then I shall do so.

I like Billboards, not zoning rules, which is why I choose to live in
rural Nevada, where I can do pretty much as I please without going in
front of a committee to get a permit for every little thing.

I know you don't like or understand the rules, but think of it this
way ... in the real world, we have zoning rules, so we don't wind up
with billboards advertising in places that spoil the view, or in
residential areas. It's like the difference between the white pages
and the yellow pages in the phone book. Think how difficult it would
be to find anything if all we had were the yellow pages, and
individuals were listed there alongside businesses and their ads in
the yellow pages.

The "no-advertising" rule is usenet's version of zoning.

I hope you'll keep posting. I for one have appreciated the advice
you've given to my questions.

Cathy Weeks

Old February 29th 04, 06:11 AM
Millie

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
People who are interested in making a buck aren't interested in ng rules!
"Millie wrote
Naughty, Naughty!

What are ng rules? No Good?

What is wrong with my comment?
Old February 29th 04, 10:17 AM
havana bill & holly

My response was to the original post on this topic, not your comment.

Old February 29th 04, 01:46 PM
Cathy Weeks

(Millie) wrote in message . com...
"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
People who are interested in making a buck aren't interested in ng rules!
"Millie wrote
Naughty, Naughty!

What are ng rules? No Good?

What is wrong with my comment?

Well... since you asked. :-)

I may have little experience with dollhouses and miniatures, having
built only one dollhouse, and am about to start on my second, but I'm
VERY experienced with usenet/internet. I've been on the web since day
one (early 90s) and on usenet (which is what the newsgroups are) since
about the same time (though it has been around since the early 80s).

1. When reprimanding someone, the most courteous way is to do it
off-line so
a) one doesn't embarass the person being reprimanded by doing it in
front of others.
b) one doesn't clog up the newsgroup with off-topic posts.

2. The original poster (usually abreviated OP) was obviously only
interested in making money, not furthering the quality of the
discussion on the group, and as such felt comfortable posting an ad in
an inappropriate location. Was it done in ignorance or intentionally
flouting rules? Hard to say.

3. And perhaps this isn't what you intended, but I thought it came
across as being sour grapes.

4. I haven't seen this on this newsgroup yet (though Carol assures me
that it has happened in the past), there are people who are
not-so-fondly referred to as Trolls on usenet. They are people who
post messages whose ONLY purpose is to stir things up and get flame
wars (mean insulting posts) started. (For example going to an
anti-spanking parenting newsgroup, and then posting about how much you
enjoy paddling your kids is a pretty common one that I've seen). They
then sit back and "enjoy" the show. When you have an obvious troll
the ONLY thing to do is ignore it. There is a funny phrase "Don't
feed the Trolls" that people sometimes post when someone rises to the
bait and responds. I have a hard time imagining what a troll on this
usenet would do..perhaps tell us to grow up and quit playing with
children's toys?

5. There is a fine line between trolling and someone who posts an
inappropriate advert. The OP hasn't been back, and isn't likely to be
back (which is troll-like behavior). So in that case, I wouldn't even
bother reprimanding him, and would ignore it, even though his
"offense" is posting an advertisement, rather than an obvious trolling
post.

One thing about usenet, is that most of it is unmoderated. So anyone
can do what they want, rules or no rules. That has it's advantages
and disadvantages. I personally hate moderated groups. The lack of
freedom to post what you want and say what you want or how you want to
say it is irritating to say the least. But, with a moderated group,
the rules are enforced, and they are pleasant places to be. Either
way, I vastly prefer unmoderated groups, with the freedom they entail,
and the sometimes rule-breaking behavior of the attendees.

The problem with breaking the rules, is that you'll incure the wrath
of the locals. To go back to my billboard example from another post,
if you put up a billboard that spoils the view, you may in Nevada not
get in trouble for it, but you might irritate your neighbors, for
having devalued their property values, and spoiling their view. So
that is something each individual must decide is worth doing.

Cathy Weeks
Old February 29th 04, 02:00 PM
Carol

"Millie" wrote in message
om...

What are ng rules? No Good?

ng stands for newsgroup. Therefore, ng rules = newsgroup rules.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old March 1st 04, 12:43 AM
Chuck

On 29 Feb 2004 05:46:43 -0800, (Cathy Weeks)
wrote:

1. When reprimanding someone, the most courteous way is to do it
off-line so...

..........snip.........

Thank you !

5. There is a fine line between trolling and someone who posts an
inappropriate advert. The OP hasn't been back, and isn't likely to be
back (which is troll-like behavior). So in that case, I wouldn't even
bother reprimanding him,

.................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's already been done, as it is each time, off-group, via email,
which is very likely why you haven't seen them back. It happens all
the time, and usually the response is the same...ie. the person
just goes away. Sometimes they say, "Oops, sorry, thanks for the
heads-up," and even more rarely they get all ****y and "Who do you
think you are with your stupid rules" about it, in which place I wait
for them to take it to the next level. (See below.)

The problem with breaking the rules, is that you'll incure the wrath
of the locals. To go back to my billboard example from another post,
if you put up a billboard that spoils the view, you may in Nevada not
get in trouble for it, but you might irritate your neighbors, for
having devalued their property values, and spoiling their view.

Which, in the newsgroup world, can involve losing your account
altogether for the abuse of a newsgroup, which IS a written rule, in
the user's agreement of most ISP's and online services, if said locals
complain about it. This, like the troll situation, has also happened
on this newsgroup in the past.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
doll house building plan Vsintes Doll Houses 4 February 26th 04 03:39 AM
Doll House Water Way Doll Houses 3 October 16th 03 11:59 PM
Good vibes needed S. Burwash Beads 24 September 2nd 03 09:34 PM