No shriek this time, just a heavy sigh

Old July 8th 03, 07:11 PM
Sue Carlson Dunn

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in message
One thing I learned from making that qiviut mobius is that next time

I will
knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist rather than

knitting
the twisted tube. That twisted method was worth trying once, just

for the
challenge, but the other way is just SO much faster and easier!

What sort of cast on would you use to make the graft invisible? Or
doesn't it really matter?
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Old July 8th 03, 09:48 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
"Sue Carlson Dunn" wrote:

next time I will knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist
rather than knitting the twisted tube.

snips
What sort of cast on would you use to make the graft invisible? Or
doesn't it really matter?

What I used was the simple e-wrap cast-on. Or backward loop or whatever you
call it. Once you get the knack of grafting into that with even tension,
it's very hard to find your graft line.

Wouldn't it also work to cast on with waste yarn, then when you are ready
to join, take that out and graft?

=Tamar
Old July 10th 03, 03:19 AM
spampot

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , spampot wrote:

Aha, I see. I think you might have posted this before because I
remember thinking how cool it was. But what I did was run out of yarn
in the middle of a long-tail cast-on, so there was nothing to do but
frog & start over. So far I'm halfway through the first round, so
everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

As we say in Dutch...I will "duim" for you.......Don't think you cn
translate it, but I am on your side....

Els

Thanks for the "duim," Els, it seems to have worked! Is it a Dutch
version of keeping your fingers crossed? I'm on my fifth round now, and
hopeful (fortunately all the even-numbered rows are just purled).

Old July 10th 03, 03:21 AM
spampot

Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:47:31 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

snip

One thing I learned from making that qiviut mobius is that next time I will
knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist rather than knitting
the twisted tube. That twisted method was worth trying once, just for the
challenge, but the other way is just SO much faster and easier!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

I was thinking that myself, and then I wondered how different the
stretch would be in a moebius knitted flat. I'll just have to try one
and compare them!

Old July 10th 03, 05:35 AM
Els van Dam

In article , spampot wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , spampot wrote:

Aha, I see. I think you might have posted this before because I
remember thinking how cool it was. But what I did was run out of yarn
in the middle of a long-tail cast-on, so there was nothing to do but
frog & start over. So far I'm halfway through the first round, so
everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

As we say in Dutch...I will "duim" for you.......Don't think you cn
translate it, but I am on your side....

Els

Thanks for the "duim," Els, it seems to have worked! Is it a Dutch
version of keeping your fingers crossed? I'm on my fifth round now, and
hopeful (fortunately all the even-numbered rows are just purled).

come to think of it, it very well may be just that....Mirjam and Ria, if
you two are around what do you think..... and even Martin may
know.....:=))

els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old July 10th 03, 02:51 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:21:10 -0400, spampot wrote:

I was thinking that myself, and then I wondered how different the
stretch would be in a moebius knitted flat. I'll just have to try one
and compare them!

I've made small mobius neck warmers on my sock machine, but those are
tubes that I twist before grafting the open ends. I start and end with
waste yarn on those. Since the long edge is not a bind-off, I think they
are stretchier.

Old July 11th 03, 12:03 AM
spampot

Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
| On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:21:10 -0400, spampot wrote:

I was thinking that myself, and then I wondered how different the
stretch would be in a moebius knitted flat. I'll just have to try one
and compare them!

I've made small mobius neck warmers on my sock machine, but those are
tubes that I twist before grafting the open ends. I start and end with
waste yarn on those. Since the long edge is not a bind-off, I think they
are stretchier.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

That's a good point. Of course this is a fingering lace one, looks good
as a shawl as well as a head scarf, so I don't know how stretchy it'll
have to be. I'll keep that in mind for future attempts, though.

if you have time Charlie Beads 10 January 20th 05 11:32 PM
OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 06:25 PM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 03:39 AM