Gauge Question

Old July 21st 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Gauge Question

I want to make a sweater from a pattern that specifies a yarn that is
no longer around. It is a worsted weight wool with 5 stitches per inch
with #8 US. I can't find a yarn that matches that gauge. I can find
worsted wools with 5 per on 6-7's US. I know gauge is highly dependent
upon the individual knitter, but I'd like to start with a yarn that is
as close to the original as possible and adjust from there. I don't
have a LYS, so I'll have to order the stuff, and won't be able to
experiment with different yarns.

My question is, should I try the worsted with 5 per on 6-7's, or should
I keep looking for a yarn that is a closer match. I don't want to
spend a bunch of money then have it not work out. Can anyone suggest a
yarn that matches the original gauge?

Many thanks,

Hesira

Old July 21st 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 21 Jul 2006 07:09:53 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

I want to make a sweater from a pattern that specifies a yarn that is
no longer around. It is a worsted weight wool with 5 stitches per inch
with #8 US. I can't find a yarn that matches that gauge. I can find
worsted wools with 5 per on 6-7's US.

My question is, should I try the worsted with 5 per on 6-7's, or should
I keep looking for a yarn that is a closer match. I don't want to
spend a bunch of money then have it not work out. Can anyone suggest a
yarn that matches the original gauge?

Buy one hank of the yarn you're considering for the project and make a
swatch. Be sure to swatch as you'll knit the sweater: in the round,
or flat, whichever is applicable. Keep in mind that most gauge
requirements call for SCOURED and BLOCKED gauge, so do that too. If
you make gauge for the pattern and like the fabric you'll be set.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 21st 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I don't pretend to be an expert but I will say that I frequently use a
little smaller needle than the
one in the pattern in order to match the gauge - which can be true even
if I am using the yarn listed. I just swatch. The only problem I run
into is when the row gauge is critcal like in a raglan sleeved sweater.
Sometimes my row gauge will be off a little when I use the smaller
needle. For a raglan I have to mess around until I can get both the row
gauge and the stitch gauge. Normally it isn't much of an issue because
it is usually only a single size smaller.

Old July 21st 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

hesira wrote:
I want to make a sweater from a pattern that specifies a yarn that is
no longer around. It is a worsted weight wool with 5 stitches per inch
with #8 US. I can't find a yarn that matches that gauge. I can find
worsted wools with 5 per on 6-7's US. I know gauge is highly dependent
upon the individual knitter, but I'd like to start with a yarn that is
as close to the original as possible and adjust from there. I don't
have a LYS, so I'll have to order the stuff, and won't be able to
experiment with different yarns.

My question is, should I try the worsted with 5 per on 6-7's, or should
I keep looking for a yarn that is a closer match. I don't want to
spend a bunch of money then have it not work out. Can anyone suggest a
yarn that matches the original gauge?

Usually it's advised to go with the needle that gives you the stitch
gauge, even if it's not the one in the pattern. Maybe you knit tighter
than the pattern designer. But as JCT says, watch out for the row gauge
too; you may have to make some slight adjustments.

sue