a small RANT, if you will

Old February 8th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default a small RANT, if you will

FYI:
I happen to be one of those left-wing LIBERAL types, I guess, who believes
that charity begins at home.
Before a single penny of mine goes overseas, I feel there are enough tragic
situations right here in North America that need dire attention.
Long before the hurricanes, and the fires, and the droughts, and the
floods, the Appalachian people right here in the USA were STARVING....
And, all along, I've made Children's Hospitals and VA Hospitals and VA
Homes MY charity of choice.
So, don't jump all over me because my opinion differs from yours, others
here are a hellova LOT MORE opinionated than I am, and you don't call them
out on it.
Noreen
slamming the door.

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.

Old February 8th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I am not going to argue with someone that is a better knitter than I am!
She might be the "Knitting Goddess", or maybe the traditional witch's magic
wand was really a knitting needle!

Too bad POTUS does not know her as SWMBO!

Aaron

Old February 8th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:38:24 -0600, "The YarnWright"
spewed forth :

FYI:
I happen to be one of those left-wing LIBERAL types, I guess, who believes
that charity begins at home.
Before a single penny of mine goes overseas, I feel there are enough tragic
situations right here in North America that need dire attention.
Long before the hurricanes, and the fires, and the droughts, and the
floods, the Appalachian people right here in the USA were STARVING....
And, all along, I've made Children's Hospitals and VA Hospitals and VA
Homes MY charity of choice.

Yep. Move over, chick and make some room on the roost. Thanks for
reminding me - my kid has outgrown another pair of shoes; I need to
get them washed and send them off to the rez. I should dig thru the
cedar chest for caps, too, and see what else in there those poor folks
on Pine Ridge can use during hte winter than I can't.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old February 8th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hey, go ahead and rant! My charities are right here in Canada. There are
plenty of kids who go to school without breakfast, and my extra knitting
goes to my church for distribution. I think that many people will agree with
you that charity does begin at home.

Higs,
Katherine

Old February 8th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Noreen,
I so hate discord that I was distressed when I saw this post. I
searched to find what had upset you and who might've "called you out"
on your opinion and found the discussion RE the teddies for tragedies.

I won't take a side on this disagreement except to say that I thought
it a lovely idea to make teddies for ANY children. On reading about
the endeavor was immediately reminded that the police/emergency
departments in a nearby city keep a supply of teddies for children hit
by any trauma (fire, violence, etc.)

I won't comment on Haiti, on it's history or present-day condition ...
or on your opinion about it. Nor will I say I agree or disagree.
However, I will mention that your immediate reaction on reading about
the teddies was that the charity should begin with Americans and with
those in need "here at home." I mention this because you're addressing
a woman (nbjess) who is Canadian. If she were to keep her endeavor
concentrated "at home," the teddies would be going to Canadian
children.

This is a global site and a global community. We cannot maintain the
friendships we've found here if we don't always remember that we're all
different, not all from the same place, not all of the same opinion,
and not all the same. That's the very heart of what makes us friends
-- that we ARE different but that we share common interests, likes and
concerns.

Please feel better. Perhaps it's the flu still making you feel lousy
to take the comments so hard. I don't think anybody was wanting to
upset or hurt you.

I send you hugs for your soul and chicken soup for your flu,
Eve

Old February 8th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Noreen

I guess I am coming out and saying more tonight than I have in a while
but I totally agree with you. Like Katherine my charities are here in
Canda. Most of my knitting and crocheting goes to charity and I know
that it makes people smile which is the most important thing. I have
received a number of hugs when dropping off my items and know that the
hug or smile is my payment for doing something that I love and also
being able to find a source for my finished projects.

I understand that people want to help everyone around the world but
sometimes I think if we can even help one group of people or even one
person with our skill that's the best thing we can do. If each of us
could just help one person we have made a good contribution.

Ok I'm going back into hiding now as well.

Darlene in Toronto

Old February 8th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Noreen... I didn't jump all over you. I simply stated that I felt that I
thought (my opinion) that giving teddies to ALL children is the best, simply
because there are so many children throughout the entire world who could use
a teddy (or anything soft) to cuddle for whatever reason their location
brings about... be it poverty, disasters, wars, illnesses, or whatever.

I too give (when I can) locally (to me it is in Ontario, Canada) first and
formost, because I know that there are a lot of people needing assistance
that we simply do not hear about. If I could afford the postage I would
happily donate to other countries as well, most especially innocent little
children no matter where they may be. If the person who posted the
original message about the teddies can afford to send off teddies (or
anything else) to other countries, then I am happy for her and for the
recipients of the gifts... and her donations to the other country shouldn't
seem to be made unimportant because they aren't being donated to "AMERICAN"
children, as you put it. I figure if a donation is being made to a child,
it shouldn't matter where that child is from... and afterall, who is to say
that the same person doesn't donate to local charities as well?

Said my piece, and will now shut up about it.

Gemini

Old February 8th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It happens again...... it is the same ones who always cause a problem
with snotty replies to messages then they post a newer post to continue
the argument. If ya don't like the original posters idea, then ignore
it. Why make someone feel bad?

Back to lurkdome.

YC

Old February 8th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

and needs in North America..starving children etc.. I am sorry I dont
have money to give like you people do.. I can howerver knit teddy
bears for little children who have NOTHING to play with or hold. How
many North American Children have NO store bought toys ... would they
appreciate a hand knit teddy.. I know here the fire department and
police departments have nice soft fuzzy store bought teddies for the
children. When I started knitting them I had no idea where they were
going until a doctor going to Haiti to help little kids asked to have
some. If you know any children here in Canada or US that have
nothing, live in a dump..never see toys please let me know. I am not
a Knitting Goddess..just someone who likes to knit and gives from the
goodness of my heart. Looking for nothing in return. A lot of friends
and neighbours have donated yarn and stuffing and made bags for these
bears also asking nothing in return. Sorry to ruffle some of
your uppercrust feathers.