Would like your advice/ideas

Old December 9th 05, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice/ideas

Hi, I am visiting my brother who lives in New Jersey this weekend. He has
cancer and probably won't be around more than about a year. I'm totally
bummed about this - he's 51. Anyway, I just thought (well, DUH) that a nice
knitted quilt/afghan might be nice for him - I think he would like it and
maybe he could take it to chemo treatments. (no, I'm not gonna knit it
tonight). As I'm thinking, it might help ME to knit this for him.

I went to JoAnn's tonight and lo and behold, Wool-ease worsted was on sale
for 1.79. I bought 2 or 3 each of several heather colors: dk brown, off
white, forest green and chestnut. I figured he might like those colors -
he's a Boy Scout leader/trainer and loves camping, fishing, etc. Nice earthy
tones. I figured I could make 12" x 12" squares, using a different pattern
for each one: garter, the dreaded st st, ribs, seed/moss st, etc. etc.

My questions:
Is there a way to join them kind of like a 3 needle cast off? Or does anyone
have another suggestion (I can't crochet to save my life).
Any ideas about how to balance the colors? Should I join them with black, dk
gray, etc?
Do you think I should knit w/ two strands?
All ideas are appreciated. TIA

Susan K

***************************
Knitting is a haven, a safe place
where one can touch history,
dance with art,
and create a peaceful life.
---Nancy Bush, author of "Folk Socks"

---

Old December 9th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Susan, I can't help you with the knitting stuff. (sorry) I just wanted to
say that I'm sorry to hear about your brother's health....My thoughts are
with you and your family.

Donna in Philly
--
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the right to be free. ~
Charles Evans Hughes

ink.net...

Old December 9th 05, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh Susan, I am so sorry to read about your brother's battle with cancer. I
wish him all the love and comfort he can have for the remainder of his life.
I wish you and your family love and peace in knowing that when his time does
come, he will no longer be in any pain at all. I know that doesn't ease the
heartache, but know that the love you give him, he will take with him on his
journey, and he will always be there to watch over all of you.

As for the afghan you are going to make your brother, I think he will love
those colour choices too. Unfortunately when I make squares for an afghan,
I always join them by crocheting them together, so I can't help you with
that... but I am sure that you will get helpful responses from a few of the
ladies or gentlemen here.

*hugs*
Gem

Old December 9th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:10:01 GMT, "Soozergirl"
wrote:

[...]

you could join them doing a 3 needle cast off by picking up the
stitches on the two squares you want to join together. I learned the
3 needl cast off for joining log cabin sqaures together.

I would join them together with one of the colours you have for
another shade of brown.

I would only knit with one strand so that the afghan isn't too heavy
for your brother to lift.

This are just my ideas.

Darlene in Toronto
Old December 9th 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

[...]

Susan, my heartfelt empathy regarding your brothers' health!
You could sew/baste the squares together, or ... this might be the time to
learn to slip stitch crochet them together.... and if I had the time,
honest, I'd offer to do it FOR you!
BIG GIANT HUGS, and prayers, vibes, healing thoughts....
Noreen

Old December 9th 05, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice/ideas and OT

Thank you all for the great ideas and kind thoughts. I just talked to
brother Ron, who is feeling pretty well for a chemo week. He told me that
this time he didn't lose his appetite or sleep all week, and that he was
eating like a pig, and that he's ready to kick butt (not his exact
words...)! Although I may need to postpone my trip due to the SNNOOOWWW, he
was still planning the Polish dinner: kielbasa, sauerkraut, good rye bread,
pierogi...I am absolutely drooling! I suspect that if I'm not there this
weekend they'll have the dinner anyway. ;-) If I'm not driving down, guess
what *I'll* be doing...
Peace to all, and thanks for all of your support knitting and otherwise
(this is a fun group, ya know?)

Susan K
Any other Polacks out there? My maiden name is Strzalkowski - whew! I can
still spell it...

Old December 9th 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

That's great to hear that your brother is feeling well this week and has a
good appetite. Good for him to have that kick-*ss attitude... that and
positive thinking, and laughter help a lot in bad health issues. )

So if you're not driving there, you'll be..... making your own big feast
and/or starting on the afghan for your brother. ;o)

Yes, this is a fun group... and a caring group who tend to think of each
other as family.

Nope, I'm not Polish! I am Canadian (I said it like the commercial too),
with English, Irish and a little French (from France) background. )

Gem

nk.net...

Old December 9th 05, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

SUSAN ,,, healing thoughts to your brother .
And take care and don`t drive slippery roads ,,,,
Peace to all, and thanks for all of your support knitting and otherwise
(this is a fun group, ya know?)

I can pronounce your name ,,,,
But am no pole ,,,
mirjam

Old December 9th 05, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article . net,
Soozergirl wrote:
snip
I'm sorry to hear about your brother's illness.

My questions:
Is there a way to join them kind of like a 3 needle cast off?
Or does anyone have another suggestion (I can't crochet to save my life).

Strictly speaking, binding off is a slipstitch crochet stitch.

Different patterns will pull in slightly different amounts, but as long as
you avoid cables and lace they'll probably even out enough, so you can use
the same stitch count for each square. If you want to knit them in long
strips instead of single squares, you could just do something like 4 rows
of garter stitch between designs, or just switch to the next design.
If you do the garter stitch, you could also do 2 stitches of garter stitch
at each end of each row, so when it's all together there is garter stitch
on all sides of each square. Then you'd only have to fasten the strips
together. That could be done with mattress stitch or just a simple overhand
whip stitch.

Any ideas about how to balance the colors? Should I join them with black,
dk gray, etc?

Just make each square with one color and make half of them with each color.
You could make the center one with both colors and work in something
significant.

Do you think I should knit w/ two strands?

It's faster on big needles but it makes a very heavy afghan and the patterns
won't show up as well.

=Tamar
Old December 9th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

ME!
Half Polish!
Send me Kolaczy!
Hugs,
Noreen
drooling!

--
If Moses had been a woman, she'd have stopped and asked for directions, and
the people would've gotten to the promised land in under a week!

President Mackenzie Allen, ABC's Commander in Chief